Who's your favorite character?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

It’s one of those stereotypes that probably exists for good reason. Many, if not most, of us have been cornered at one time or another and heard about somebody else’s character in excruciating detail. Hint: If you’ve never felt this way, perhaps you’re the one doing the cornering.

It’s bad etiquette to do so of course, but we’re engaged in a hobby where, at its best, we breathe life into a fictional being. We imbue them with their own set of beliefs, values, goals, family, friends, and capabilities. We portray them as they face trials beyond our own experience and forge ahead against seemingly impossible odds. So yeah, it’s fun to talk about.

Recently I was thinking about what made some characters favorites over the rest. What does it say about that these are my favorite characters? I figured I’d set etiquette aside and tell you a bit about a few characters who hold a special place in my heart and give you a chance to talk about your own.

Right out of the gate I’ll tell you about a character who was not a favorite: Rel. An embarrassingly long time ago I made a Rolemaster warrior-type character. I tossed out to the GM the idea that when people in his culture did great deeds, more syllables were added to their name. I also decided my character’s name was Relinsingersonlyer, even though he hadn’t really done anything noteworthy in the actual game. The hubris of being 14 I guess.

However, years later, I was trying to log into an internet chat room. I needed a username so I tried my name. Scott was taken. So was ScottM. AScottM (using both first and last initials since I go by my middle name) was also taken! So, frustration rising to a crescendo, I said, “I bet I know what isn’t taken...Relinsingersonlyer!” Ain’t nobody got time to type Relinsingersonlyer in a chat room; they just called me Rel. It’s been my online handle ever since. I’m named after a pretty mediocre Rolemaster character.

Urkaman Dundar, in contrast, actually did some pretty great deeds. He was a half-dwarf, so basically a broad, short human. This was also Rolemaster, and he was a Leader who really lived up to the concept. He was fearsome in battle and led from the front. But he was equally skilled in spotting strategic and tactical advantages and conducting diplomacy. He talked us out of a few fights we didn’t need to be in and led the way to victory in a lot of fights we really needed to win on an epic quest to save the world. He was a hero I really looked forward to playing each week.

Urkaman was, in many ways, a best-case version of myself (only shorter). He was smart and decisive without being irresponsible. He knew how to talk to people and build consensus. He brought out the best in others and led the group without making them feel ordered around. I frequently think fondly on playing that character because he was the embodiment of many of my best ideals.

And then there’s Dr. Dark. A few years ago a friend of mine wanted to run a Mutants & Masterminds game set in our home state. My character concept was that of a supervillain turned hero who held mastery over darkness. Brooding and sinister, he had the power to mold shadow to his own ends, and the ability to separate his shadow and have it operate autonomously. His keen insights for villainous plans would serve to give him a glimpse into the minds of the foes our group battled to keep the North Carolina heartland safe.

In practice he was mostly just an :):):):):):):). It was hilarious and fun. Dr. Dark was a way to behave badly in ways I’d never act personally. He was rude, angry, vindictive, and petty. He was a fearsome force on the battlefield (mostly due to the Mutants & Masterminds mastery of ENWorld’s The Universe who helped me design the character mechanics) and made sound tactical choices to aid the team. Off the battlefield...well let’s just say it became not only team policy but an executive order from the governor that “Dr. Dark may not speak directly to the news media. Ever.” He was also required to attend psychological counseling, but he made his shadow sit in for those and never attended.

I’m sure I could go on about other characters I loved between these extremes, but I don’t want to be “that guy” I talked about in the opening paragraph. These characters represent to me the extremes between some common motivations for roleplaying. The fantasy of being a powerful, heroic figure who upholds high ideals, and the villainous jerk who cathartically mouths off and destroys his enemies. They brought me many fun times and I salute them each for their own reasons.

Who are your favorite characters and what do you think they say about you?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
One of my more fond characters was Zamdu'uk, a 3.5 Goblin Warlock//Druid gestalt. "Duke", as he was nicknamed, played the part of the right-hand man to the party leader, a Drow Favored Soul//Sorceress. She would ask for his counsel in many things... much to the chagrin of the beefy Gnoll Barbarian//Rogue and Duergar PsiWar//Monk.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
T'Prel from a long running Star Trek campaign. Almost typical Vulcan but with enough quirks to cause confusion - interested in religions but no one ever found out what she truly believed and I think I am not sure about that, either. Scientist (exobiology, astrophysics, quantum mechanics - she probabvly also messed up the timeline more than Kirk and Janeway together). Captain of the USS Lightyear, what she hoped wwould be a quiet assignment to give her time for her studies. But of course that was not to be. Thanks to an NPC Vulcan who kept citing his ancestry, T'Prel kept pointing out that she was in no way related to Surak's line. Instead of fascinating she said "hmmm" in different tones of voice (which seemed to be random) and "who but a Vulcan would have thought" and "you can#t have your Pi and multiply it." Thanks to a muscle mutation she was unable to form the Vulcan salute, but considered it illogical to miss several days of work to fix her hands just to be able to appear less rude to people she likely would never meet again. Famous among her crew for, after accidentally getting "totally drunk Vulcan style," assigning new colors and color combinations to the departments. Purple for command was really classy. Highly allergic to tribbles.

I miss her.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads