Who's your favorite character?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

We have these kinds of discussions over and over here at ENWorld. "Who's your favorite character?" Today I'll talk about a couple of my favorites (which don't include my namesake) and invite you to talk about yours. But the deeper question is why are these our favorites and what can that tell us about why we roleplay?

It’s one of those stereotypes that probably exists for good reason. Many, if not most, of us have been cornered at one time or another and heard about somebody else’s character in excruciating detail. Hint: If you’ve never felt this way, perhaps you’re the one doing the cornering.

It’s bad etiquette to do so of course, but we’re engaged in a hobby where, at its best, we breathe life into a fictional being. We imbue them with their own set of beliefs, values, goals, family, friends, and capabilities. We portray them as they face trials beyond our own experience and forge ahead against seemingly impossible odds. So yeah, it’s fun to talk about.

Recently I was thinking about what made some characters favorites over the rest. What does it say about that these are my favorite characters? I figured I’d set etiquette aside and tell you a bit about a few characters who hold a special place in my heart and give you a chance to talk about your own.

Right out of the gate I’ll tell you about a character who was not a favorite: Rel. An embarrassingly long time ago I made a Rolemaster warrior-type character. I tossed out to the GM the idea that when people in his culture did great deeds, more syllables were added to their name. I also decided my character’s name was Relinsingersonlyer, even though he hadn’t really done anything noteworthy in the actual game. The hubris of being 14 I guess.

However, years later, I was trying to log into an internet chat room. I needed a username so I tried my name. Scott was taken. So was ScottM. AScottM (using both first and last initials since I go by my middle name) was also taken! So, frustration rising to a crescendo, I said, “I bet I know what isn’t taken...Relinsingersonlyer!” Ain’t nobody got time to type Relinsingersonlyer in a chat room; they just called me Rel. It’s been my online handle ever since. I’m named after a pretty mediocre Rolemaster character.

Urkaman Dundar, in contrast, actually did some pretty great deeds. He was a half-dwarf, so basically a broad, short human. This was also Rolemaster, and he was a Leader who really lived up to the concept. He was fearsome in battle and led from the front. But he was equally skilled in spotting strategic and tactical advantages and conducting diplomacy. He talked us out of a few fights we didn’t need to be in and led the way to victory in a lot of fights we really needed to win on an epic quest to save the world. He was a hero I really looked forward to playing each week.

Urkaman was, in many ways, a best-case version of myself (only shorter). He was smart and decisive without being irresponsible. He knew how to talk to people and build consensus. He brought out the best in others and led the group without making them feel ordered around. I frequently think fondly on playing that character because he was the embodiment of many of my best ideals.

And then there’s Dr. Dark. A few years ago a friend of mine wanted to run a Mutants & Masterminds game set in our home state. My character concept was that of a supervillain turned hero who held mastery over darkness. Brooding and sinister, he had the power to mold shadow to his own ends, and the ability to separate his shadow and have it operate autonomously. His keen insights for villainous plans would serve to give him a glimpse into the minds of the foes our group battled to keep the North Carolina heartland safe.

In practice he was mostly just an :):):):):):):). It was hilarious and fun. Dr. Dark was a way to behave badly in ways I’d never act personally. He was rude, angry, vindictive, and petty. He was a fearsome force on the battlefield (mostly due to the Mutants & Masterminds mastery of ENWorld’s The Universe who helped me design the character mechanics) and made sound tactical choices to aid the team. Off the battlefield...well let’s just say it became not only team policy but an executive order from the governor that “Dr. Dark may not speak directly to the news media. Ever.” He was also required to attend psychological counseling, but he made his shadow sit in for those and never attended.

I’m sure I could go on about other characters I loved between these extremes, but I don’t want to be “that guy” I talked about in the opening paragraph. These characters represent to me the extremes between some common motivations for roleplaying. The fantasy of being a powerful, heroic figure who upholds high ideals, and the villainous jerk who cathartically mouths off and destroys his enemies. They brought me many fun times and I salute them each for their own reasons.

Who are your favorite characters and what do you think they say about you?

Gilladian

Adventurer
The third character I ever created was Gilladian the dwarf (hey, I was 11, it was a nickname my Dad gave me and I just grabbed it out of desperation). He had a six int and a four wis. I never dreamed he'd actually survive the dungeon, as my first two characters had lived about 1/2 hour each!

But survive he did. He went from Basic rules to 1st ed, then 2nd, and has been played in game after game since 1976. A couple years ago, he even made an appearance as an NPC in one of my brother's campaigns. He has a hook on one hand, a badly damaged broom of flying, a ring of regeneration, gloves of ogre power, and a +3 returning battle axe. But it is his stupidity, and his mule (named Mule-go-bang because it kicks down dungeon doors) that make him memorable. He's gullible, eternally good-natured, and very generous. He still doesn't believe that a whole group of adventurers INTENDED that he be the distraction charging into the front door of the dragon's lair while they robbed the hoard through the secret passage... he died, but because of his ring, he came back to life... and picked up LOTS of treasure while the rest of the PCs were being strafed and TPK'd by the furious dragon - who knew ALL about the "secret" passage!

I have other memorable characters (Lyria the 21st lvl wizard, Theyson the White - a real old school bard, and some others) but Gilladian is my alter-ego. He's just so much FUN!

Henry

Autoexreginated
I have many, but the most recent in memory was one i played about two years ago in Pathfinder, a varisian (think movie-stereotype Romany) named Istvan. Istvan was someone who had crawled up from a life of destitution in the slums of a major city to find the love of his life, only for her to be murdered and him being powerless to stop it. His quest, apart from the pre-defined adventure path goals we were on, was to gain power and influence, and ultimately find the Philosopher's stone, and revive his lost love through magic (he was atheistic and not wanting to be beholden to any gods). Unfortunately for him, his path to power was experimenting with various alchemical forbidden lore, and he ( thanks to the Master Chymist prestige class) developed a Jekyll and Hyde MPD. He never saw his story arc end (TPK in a deathtrap type dungeon) but it was my tinkering with a character with circumstances completely unlike mine, who grasped for any power he could, and in the end would find the cost of trading easy power for hard work and persistence.

khantroll

Explorer
My favorite PC characters, in chronological order:

Tronton Aerian Primus, a half elf Mage/Thief. He was very intelligent, but had knack for getting the entire party in over its head. The party was made up of his full-elf cousin (cleric), a demigod fighter, and a human assassin. Up to his last appearance as a ghost, he remains one of my favorite characters to play, due in large part to the sense of humor that is part of his character, and his use of custom magic spells (many yoinked from Dr. Strange).

Etregan, on the other hand, is a cambion Fighter/Mage (later reformatted to a fighter/sorcerer). He's evil with a capital E, and his companions aren't a lot better. He generally solved problems with force or traps, and generally had a sense of humor equitable to an anvil.

Last is my most recent character, known as Gimpy the Dwarf. He's a Blackguard, though he uses his intelligence and blood magic from the Encyclopaedia Arcane supplement just as much. His origins are unique from the others in that I set out to make a stock-dwarf comic relief fighter for my brother-in-law's campaign. After a while, the party alignments were shifted, and they began to suffer for lack of a cleric and face. So, I combined the two, and got a lawful evil blackguard.

As to what they say about me, it's kind of obvious. These characters share a lot of my traits, and represent a lot about where I was in my life when they were made. Tronton is myself as I saw myself at 14: a half breed with a lot of potential and tells a lot of jokes. Etregan is myself in my early 20s: he takes way himself too seriously, and thinks that there is nothing he can't do, nor anyone with any authority over him.

Gimpy is me in more recent years, right down to the damaged leg that gives him his nickname (though it was only included because he has an 8 in dex). He has a sense of humor that speaks of too much BBC watched from an American perspective, and looks at everything as though it's a design problem (one he can fix with enough parts and power).

There have obviously been others beyond these three, but these are the ones I consider my favorites. That being said, I do have fun with Axle the dwarven vampire (who likes blondes and is trying to make a blood synthetic he calls "Reil Blood") and Zazzle the kobold alchemist, who are mainly just there to mess with my fellow gamers in those campaigns.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Mine was a WFRP.v2 Witch-Hunter, Wolf Gangel (base what I was told was to be a choice of birth names Wolfgang), he was an investigator that came into town and looked about for signs of Chaos.

Nope, he was a paper's man. Forged documents and seals, that was how he made money, he just had everyone thinking he was a Witch Hunter but would provide tax forms, bill of sales and even deeds to property. He even produced his own stories as a Witch Hunter. His favor way to work, was to check out local towns for deaths, create paperwork with the names on it, then present himself to the powers that be to start the investigations. From here he would start coping seals, stealing ribbons and paper. The thing about it, he had to every now and then produce a witch but that was not really that hard if you have the paperwork.

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't think I have an all-time favorite character. Pretty much all characters I played for an extended time (i.e. several years) are favorites.

The first I remember quite well was an illusionist (AD&D 1e) that was obviously inspired by the Corum novels (no surprise there!).

Then there was a mage who specialized in demon summoning (Das Schwarze Auge) and was all about gaining power.

In Runequest it was a farmer and priest's son called Johann Schwarzer, who really wasn't much of an adventurer. He'd have much preferred to live a peaceful life in his home village if it hadn't been for the nearby threat of the Broo.

In Earthdawn I had two favorites: an obsidiman warrior following a demanding Bushido-like codex and a cowardly half-orc swordsman with astoningly good looks.

My current favorite is an evil Dray (Dragonborn) Dragon Magic Sorcerer in a 4e Dark Sun campaign that is a templar of Dregoth infiltrating the city states in order to pave the way for his undead master.

I enjoy variety, so I try not to repeat myself when playing characters. It's also one of my prime incentives for being GM. It allows me to play a great many of different characters in very short time without having to think much about long-term consequences.

Mallus

Legend
Can I add my new favorite NPC: Golden Arm (the junky monk)?

It stated innocently enough. My friend's 10 year-old son, who just joined our AD&D campaign, wanted a monk henchman for his druid. The following happens:

Player A: What kind of monk hires themselves out for money?

Player B: The kind that really needs money, obviously.

Me: Like a monk with a drug habit.

Player A: So a junky monk?

Me: OK. What are the chances the druid can find a junky monk this afternoon? Higher is better <rolls d20> Natural 20! The druid stands before a heretofore unnoticed monastery with several monks sparring in the practice yard. One monk keeps looking around nervously. He's a good fighter, but pale, sweaty, and a bit twitchy. As it so happens, he's looking for work!

Player C: (the son): Hail master monk. I am in need of a henchman who will one day get Quivering Palm. What is your name?"

Me: (thinking for a second): Golden Arm. A student of the Poppy Boxing style!

By the end of the night his martial art had morphed into Junk-Sick Poppy Boxing, which is like the reverse of Jackie Chan's Drunken Style; you fight better the longer it's been since you've had a fix (downside; you also start stealing from your party). So far Golden Arm hasn't done too much (good or ill), except borrow 100 GP from the druid and buy "Infernal Horse" (perhaps some sort of Figurine of Wondrous Power?) from a back-alley apothecary on Lesser Dis.

Yes, it's mildly inappropriate, but it's nowhere near as corrupting as a few hours on the Internet...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Joseirus, the Egyptian God of Mexican Wrestling, aka Jose Pacifico Juan-Maria Ramirez. He was a good 14 year old Catholic kid from East L.A. whose no-good time-traveling relative from the 41st century gave him superpowers via a reality-hacking device then told him he was a lost ancient Egyptian god. Afterwards, he fought crime! Over the course of his career, he threw a minor Cthulhoid god into low orbit (but it fell back down!), fought the Hulk on a plane (Hulks on a Plane!), put a giant sombrero on the Sphinx (don't ask), and stabbed the Nazi Superman with the Spear of Destiny (stolen from Hitler's office) while flying over 1944 Berlin.

But has he ever fought ConQuesodores?

Razjah

Explorer
My favorite characters are : Zo-Zu a Goblin "Masher", V.S. Ramachandran*, and Nicholas.

Zo-Zu was named after the magic card, he was a goblin barbarian in a war campaign. He carried a wooden spork around and made sure people knew he used it (he thought it made him civilized). He had a dim grasp of proper grammar and didn't understand most of the ranks for the army he was in. His squad commander was "Boss" the captain of the irregulars he was a part of was "Boss Boss" while the general was "King Boss". He was really fun to play since his first and only plan was to launch his tiny little hulk body at enemies-flaming axe first. He had no concept of diplomacy, but he was always willing to crack some skulls to help "Boss" make his point known to enemies, friends, and someone who wasn't an ally but he wasn't allowed to mash.

V.S. Ramachandran is a character I am playing in my current campaign (Dresden Files). He is a coward, demonologist, occult bookstore owner, and he made a deal with Judas Iscariot (an agent of God in my GM's Dresden Files+ stuff world) for Soulfire. He looks like Liam Neeson from The Phantom Menace with shorter hair. He is a blast to play. He is always ready to run away (especially when compelled) and he is struggling with the fact that the terminator (made by an immortal Nikola Tesla with "sponsored magic: SCIENCE!" after seeing the terminator movie) who looks like Summer Glau has fallen in love with him, and despite his fear of her assassin capabilities, he is starting to develop strong feelings for her. He really just wants to run his bookstore and go back to be a nobody. It is not happening and he hates it. I have never played a coward before, and being the voice of reason or fear is really fun with the group of misfits we have.

Nicholas is a fence I have used in several games (as an NPC). He is a fabulously dressed man sporting dark hear with just a hint of grey at the temples, a clean shaven face, deep green eyes, and a strong lisp. He is also very clearly a gay, and he doesn't care who knows it. Should there be a female (or multiple) to speak with, he will endlessly go on about the current fashion trends and will become their sassy, gay best friend. He loves shoes, ot the point where anyone who doesn't wear the appropriate shoes for their outfit to a business meeting gets worse rates- or he simply won't buy their goods if their appearance is too ghastly. His front organization has changed to match the campaign I am running, but he is a strong ally for the NPCs in my games, being full of knowledge and anything else they need... for the right price. His best performance was in a sky pirates game I ran. He was the main way the PCs got rid of their ill-gotten gains, and constantly talking about who the female PCs were wearing the wrong boots for their skirts and how it was "so last century" for the male PCs to walk around in their armor, in public, where people can see.

*V.S. is named after the neuroscientist who wrote The Tell-Tale Brain. However I had to change V.S. to stand for Valentine Sherlock for my group to be able to write his name, spell it, or even remember it.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
As a Monster Character, it was a Skaven (ratman for non-WFRP). Think I like this character because the GM took the time to workout some "pack" mechanics for the players. Leaders lead from the rear, we would not attack outright unless we had two to one odds, weaker rats went first, attack and run away or surprise, always have an out, snakes bad and cause fear (DM would throw a big one at us every now and then as a common foe) our favor way to kill them was to let it eat one of the NPC and then kill it while it slept off the meal. Just a lot of fun.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads