• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Whose "property" are the PCs?

NuclearWookiee

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
Sophist! :p

Of course there can be two different characters out there. My argument is that a player cannot dictate how a GM runs their personal game, which seems to be the emphasis of this thread.

I care not what a player does with his/her character outside my game. They are free to do with it what they will.

Ah ha! We seem not to disagree so much after all. ;)

Allow me to sum it up... "you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want." :D

cuteasaurus

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Ah ha! We seem not to disagree so much after all. ;)

Allow me to sum it up... "you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want." :D

With the caveat that the DM not make any decisions he/she makes about the "new" characters public

NuclearWookiee

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
You should refer back to that post and see where I state the difference between public and private use. In my private SW campaign, Luke can be a street walker if I want it to be so.

And you can refer back even earlier (my original post) where said the same thing... you can do whatever you want with a character, you just can't claim it's the same character. He's just *your* Luke Skywalker at that point, to say that he's anybody else's Luke Skywalker (without he or she telling you so) is just arrogantly presumptive. But it seems that we [basically] agree. :p

The_Universe

First Post
I don't think the public thing matters one way or the other unless one or both of you is making money on the character. George Lucas would probably stop BelenUmeria from making the "Luke Skywalker dies in a hunting accident movie," and my own "Return of the Sexy, Lathered Jedi."

But I bet Nuclear Wookiee doesn't care if I put a story up that involves his old character as a historical figure up on the internet....;)

kolikeos

First Post
i was playing in some very boring compain (as a pyromaniac sorcerer) and we decided to start a new one in the same world. when we got to the big city i found out what happend to my previous character (i remember telling my dm that my charcter will settle down in the city and couse no fireball-destruction), he killed alot of people and then fled and because of that no one sells fireball scrolls in that city. i was very mad with my dm for that.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
With the caveat that the DM not make any decisions he/she makes about the "new" characters public

Right. Although, if you think about it, making something "public" is just another way of telling everyone else they have to believe your idea of the character. So when Lucas produced The Empire Strikes Back, he basically said "sure, you may personally imagine that Luke Skywalker may be a street walker, you ALL must believe that he kissed his sister... MWA HAHAHAHAHA".

(Poor Luke is really taking the heat for our debate, LOL) :cool:

The_Universe

First Post
You think that's bad? I turned one of the old player characters in my campaign into a scheming megolomaniacal lich that the other PC's imprisoned for all eternity (or at least they tried to)! To utter his name was to bring bad luck upon oneself!

He thought it was great...

....but I guess, maybe that characterization wasn't so far off.... ;)

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
I don't think the public thing matters one way or the other unless one or both of you is making money on the character. George Lucas would probably stop BelenUmeria from making the "Luke Skywalker dies in a hunting accident movie," and my own "Return of the Sexy, Lathered Jedi."

But I bet Nuclear Wookiee doesn't care if I put a story up that involves his old character as a historical figure up on the internet....;)

I just want to point out that I did say "publish" the hunting accident book. I guess I assumed he would sell them instead of handing them out... :p

And I am still waiting for my royalties check, by the way... :mad:

cuteasaurus

First Post
I think it still matters even if you don't make any money off it because it is still "published." Previously published work (even if not for profit) would mess with anyone else's chance to make money off of it later. (This includes the internet and all those places where you can get stories/poems/etc published but you don't actually make any money...grrr ;))

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
I just want to point out that I did say "publish" the hunting accident book. I guess I assumed he would sell them instead of handing them out... :p

And I am still waiting for my royalties check, by the way... :mad:
You can have 1/124th of everything I make on this story hour! :) Still nothing, sad to say! :eek:

I promise to ask permission if I have the opportunity to make money on it. ;)

Remove ads