• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Whose staying with 4e?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I will most likely be staying with 4E with or without DDI once my friend's sub runs out.

I like 4E and making characters is not that hard, though I will admit it will take me a while to get back into the groove with the math after using DDI for a year.

DDI has made me lazy.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Well, there's always the offline builder. It still works and there are ways to update it. You can even do it yourself if you know your way around XML.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I might play both if 5E can hit the right notes. For me that's a solid game game, like B/X, with quick and easy resolution with lots of player choices the players have to balance. Otherwise I'll stick with my current games. I might want to translate one 3E game into 5E.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I plan to stick with 4E.

The ruleset is essentially complete, I've got offline back-ups of both the Character Builder and the Compendium (and building monsters is easy enough without the Monster Builder... and I can always copy and paste stuff from the Compendium) and - frankly - it's my favourite version of D&D in 32 years.

Also, I live in one of the most Third World parts of a Third World country now so getting books is practically impossible without an international flight - and Amazon won't deliver here - so I'll stick with what I have.

I do plan to continue to keep my DDi subscription once/if Next is ever published, but that's because I'm also an FR fan and I like to add to my FR collection.

S

Sunseeker

I am not particularly thrilled with DDN, but it's not done yet, so while I am not holding my breath, I am still curious to see the final product.

It certainly is not going to be as complete as 3.5 or 4e for a long time, so I'm not holding that against it, but I can't help feel that I already have two editions I enjoy, and that I don't need one that's sort of a weird hybrid of the two. I like 4e for what it is, and I like 3.5 for what it is too. I'm not sure I need a 3.85.

And it really depends on if they continue to support the 4e DDI stuff, and if they include 5e stuff in DDI.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I doubt a lot of solid 4e fans will be switching to D&DN given that it is such a retro move. I quit 4e a few years ago because I never really enjoyed it much and went back to 3.5 (tried PF too and didn't enjoy that either). So I guess I won't be "leaving" 4e for D&DN technically. But I am planning to buy the books, at least the core rules, and try them out to see how much I like the game once it is released. I have been half-way paying attention to the play-test packets, but only ran one actual play-test session. If I end up liking the finished product, I may switch to D&DN, but the jury is still out on that. We really don't know what the final game is going to look like. Each play-test packet changes lots of stuff. They seem to be taking a "Google" approach by trying a dozen things in the hope that one or two works out and keeping only the stuff that gets positive feedback. I'm not sure that is going to make for a good game, but as I said the jury is still out. Mike Mearls seems to be at the helm for this (from what I can tell), and I don't tend to see eye-to-eye with him. However, I do like a lot of the ideas I see floating around in the play-tests. I am a bit disappointed in the martial healing stuff, but we'll see how it all works out in the end.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, there's always the offline builder. It still works and there are ways to update it. You can even do it yourself if you know your way around XML.

I don't think this board supports doing illegal things, and updating the offline yourself is copyright infringement, at least as far as I understand it.

D'karr

Adventurer
updating the offline yourself is copyright infringement, at least as far as I understand it.

Wrong but let's just leave it at that. These discussions always turn into arguments about the law, when in many cases it's not applicable. And the discussion is about staying with 4e or not.

Remove ads