• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Whose staying with 4e?

Mallus

Legend
We're playing AD&D now and that's going pretty well. We might return to 4e to finish the campaign we suspended -- but that's kinda problematic. The consensus is I should run it... but I'd really prefer to be running my PC through the glorious (and doomed) Communist revolution that's coming!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
It's too early for me to say whether Next will replace 4E for me. I'll certainly give it a try and if I like it, it will find its way into my suite of games to play.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
RPGs are not a zero-sum game. If I have the time and the players to play a 5E game, then I will. I'll also play a 4E, 3E, Shadowrun, 7th Sea, Vampire, Champions, Star Wars, Burning Wheel, FATE or Paranoia game too.

Monogamy is not a necessity for being a gamer.

Balesir

Adventurer
RPGs are not a zero-sum game.
What he said. It's looking like DDN will not replace 4E for me, since it doesn't aim to do what I find fun in 4E, but I play other games alongside 4E now and I don't expect that to change. Will one of the "alongside" games be DDN? I have no idea - it's too early to tell. Definitely maybe.

Obryn

Hero
RPGs are not a zero-sum game. If I have the time and the players to play a 5E game, then I will. I'll also play a 4E, 3E, Shadowrun, 7th Sea, Vampire, Champions, Star Wars, Burning Wheel, FATE or Paranoia game too.

Monogamy is not a necessity for being a gamer.
Nope, and I'd argue it's not even healthy.

If all you play is D&D, you're missing out out on some really spectacular games. I'm running Dungeon World now, and it's frankly amazing. Savage Worlds is likewise brilliant. One of these days, we'll give FATE Core a spin. And so on...

I think it's the time issue that's at the heart of a lot of these debates, and that's where personal tastes get magnified. At least for myself, I'm thinking in terms of, "Why would I run X when I have all these other great games?"

-O

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
While not zero-sum in the strictest sense, for many groups and gamers the limiting factor is time; how many games can you play? I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but folks with jobs and lives outside the game are probably the norm, despite what stereotypes would have us believe, and that leaves only enough time for one, maybe two games at any given time.

If you only get one or two games in a given period, what's it going to be? That's what it comes down to for a lot of folks.

mattcolville

Adventurer
sorry, this questions has probably already been posted but i was currios as too who would be moving on to DnDnext and who would be staying with 4e.

I for one don't know yet, I've put a lot of money into 4e so I'm not sure i wanna leave it so soon

There are things about both that I like, but I think in general it's easier for me to tweak 4E to make it more like I want, than tweak 5E to make it more like 4E.

FireLance

Legend
There are things about both that I like, but I think in general it's easier for me to tweak 4E to make it more like I want, than tweak 5E to make it more like 4E.
Pretty much this, with the added comment that there are only a few things in the 5e playtest so far that i like, and the assertion that the 4e system as a whole is more robust, balance-wise, to tinkering than 5e looks like it is going to be.

Remove ads