Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Mercurius

Legend
1E sold waaaaaaaay more than 2E did, IIRC, and B/X and BECMI sold more than either.

Yeah, but this is a case where the history is important. 1E boomed in the early 80s then declined in the mid-80s. 2E simply didn't lead to another boom. And then, of course, there is the over-extension of the mid-90s, which was a major factor in TSR's collapse.

I think their future business model doesn't have much to do with people over 25 or so unless they have kids. They are less interested in selling books to the hardcore, and more interested in getting the ENdless Quest books out there to create a new generation of players.

If they succeed in creating a youth ramp-up, which they seem to have been doing well, they literally never need to hit the reset button because people turn 12 every day.

Yes, exactly. Which is why I think 5E might be the "last" edition - or at least major edition change/revision.

DM Howard

Explorer
1E sold waaaaaaaay more than 2E did, IIRC, and B/X and BECMI sold more than either.

I think their future business model doesn't have much to do with people over 25 or so unless they have kids. They are less interested in selling books to the hardcore, and more interested in getting the ENdless Quest books out there to create a new generation of players.

If they succeed in creating a youth ramp-up, which they seem to have been doing well, they literally never need to hit the reset button because people turn 12 every day.

I find this slightly worrisome. What you have described, focusing on the 12 year olds or new entrants into the hobby without catering to the long tail will create problems. That was exactly the type of BS they were shoving down our throats at Games Workshop before Kevin Rountree replaced Tom Kirby and started righting the sinking ship that was GW.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I find this slightly worrisome. What you have described, focusing on the 12 year olds or new entrants into the hobby without catering to the long tail will create problems. That was exactly the type of BS they were shoving down our throats at Games Workshop before Kevin Rountree replaced Tom Kirby and started righting the sinking ship that was GW.

*shrug*

As a parent, it works for me. I see no indication they plan to throw veteran players under the bus, but relying on people who have all the material they need to play for sales isn't a sustainable sales strategy. Releasing children's and early reader books to cultivate new players who do not have everything they need to play is much more sustainable: that's how they sell Monopoly.

oreofox

Explorer
Any kind of D&D film or TV series needs to avoid game terminology like the plague: No "I'm going to cast a fireball" or "I am going to take a short rest so I can heal up." And no nerd humor! There is a certain kind of humor that only (some) nerds find funny and turn others off. Just make a good fantasy movie. Dragonlance Chronicles is the best bet, imo. Possibly Drizzt/Icewind if they can figure out how to cast him without upsetting large segments of the population, although I personally am a bit fatigued with the "cold north." Dark Sun could be really cool if well done.

The other thing is how to title such movies? I suppose Dark Sun - A Dungeons & Dragons Movie works, but Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - a Dungeons & Dragons Movie is rather unwieldy.

Wizards and Hasbro won't dare leave the Sword Coast region of Faerun, more than likely. To me, the War of the Lance story would be one of the best to turn into films. Unfortunately, they tried that with the horrific animated movie ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/ ) 10 years ago. So I don't see them attempting that. They may get someone to write a script just for the movie, and not take anything from previous novels or adventures. I am pretty certain they will set it within the Sword Coast region of Faerun, or maybe even somewhere in Nentir Vale. I doubt they will go the direction of the old movies and use generic no-name world.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but WotC seems to have a bigger hard on for Sword Coast than Paizo does for Varisia within the Sword Coast.

You do know WotC doesn't publish the Endless Quest books, right? Those are licensed.

And funny thing... you know that generation of casual kids who watched the cartoon and read the EQ books in the '80s grew up to be the hardcore gamers of the 2000s.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You do know WotC doesn't publish the Endless Quest books, right? Those are licensed.

And funny thing... you know that generation of casual kids who watched the cartoon and read the EQ books in the '80s grew up to be the hardcore gamers of the 2000s.

Well, yes, precisely on both points. They get money from their licensing partner, and make future customers. Thing is, I probably have enough D&D to last me the rest of my life: I'll probably keep buying, because I have a problem, but it is a better strategy to bet on my son wanting his own PHB someday than me wanting to invest in a new edition.

Mercurius

Legend
Wizards and Hasbro won't dare leave the Sword Coast region of Faerun, more than likely. To me, the War of the Lance story would be one of the best to turn into films. Unfortunately, they tried that with the horrific animated movie ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/ ) 10 years ago. So I don't see them attempting that. They may get someone to write a script just for the movie, and not take anything from previous novels or adventures. I am pretty certain they will set it within the Sword Coast region of Faerun, or maybe even somewhere in Nentir Vale. I doubt they will go the direction of the old movies and use generic no-name world.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, but WotC seems to have a bigger hard on for Sword Coast than Paizo does for Varisia within the Sword Coast.

I don't think they're wedded to the Sword Coast or even the Realms for a movie. Their target audience for a big budget Hollywood movie isn't primarily D&D players, its the public that likes big budget action fantasy movies, that has no idea what the "Forgotten Realms" are. They know that no matter what setting it takes place in, D&D players will see it, or at least care more about the quality of the film than where it is set (except for the most unreasonable anti-Realmsians, who are probably a small minority of keyboard warriors).

Their focus will be, and should be, to create a great fantasy movie and franchise that uses the great wealth of D&D material (monsters, worlds, stories, etc).

As for why WotC likes the Sword Coast, if we try to look at it without bias, it is a pretty complete region that is great for D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't think they're wedded to the Sword Coast or even the Realms for a movie. Their target audience for a big budget Hollywood movie isn't primarily D&D players, its the public that likes big budget action fantasy movies, that has no idea what the "Forgotten Realms" are. They know that no matter what setting it takes place in, D&D players will see it, or at least care more about the quality of the film than where it is set (except for the most unreasonable anti-Realmsians, who are probably a small minority of keyboard warriors).

Their focus will be, and should be, to create a great fantasy movie and franchise that uses the great wealth of D&D material (monsters, worlds, stories, etc).

As for why WotC likes the Sword Coast, if we try to look at it without bias, it is a pretty complete region that is great for D&D.

Benefits from being the home game region for decades for the world's creator, who is possibly one of the most prolific fluff writers in RPG history. Also, a number of popular video games and board games.

We know the WB project was looking at a Waterdeep setting, but all bets are off for the Paramount/AllSpark project in terms of subject matter.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend

Benefits from being the home game region for decades for the world's creator, who is possibly one of the most prolific fluff writers in RPG history. Also, a number of popular video games and board games.

We know the WHOLE STORY project was looking at a Waterdeep setting, but all bets are off for the Paramount/AllSpark project in terms of subject matter.

Didn't Greenwood alternate between the Sword Coast and Dale Lands somewhat equally? Or I suppose the whole northern Faerun region?

Remove ads