D&D 5E Why a New D&D Video Game Should Be 16bit/2D

Zardnaar

Legend
Pretty huge now, yeah, see Terraria. But they are not "16-bit," really.

Modern "16 bitgames" look better than the original 16 bit games.

Did anyone actually look at the links I provided? The main point is you can have good looking games that are fun to play made very cheap relative to AAA+ titles. They sell more than some of those titles as well with higher review ratings.

I will use another example.

Grand Theft Auto comes out in the 90's. 2D top down game that did not look much better than micro machines 2 from 1994. GTA 2 comes out but its GTA3 that blows up becomes huge and becomes one of the biggest franchises around now (GTAV 240million+ budget to make)

You have to start somewhere is the main point and making crap games are probably doing the franchise more harm than good. We all expect a new D&D game or movie to basically be rubbish expectations are that low now.

The only AAA titles with budgets of tens of millions of dollars are generally established franchises (Witcher, Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto).

If WoTC won't pony up the money to pay tens of millions of dollars to make a AAA title why should anyone else?

make 1-3 cheaper games that are good et some buzz and momentum, establish a franchise, then maybe you can make a AAA title.

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I provided a link to Sundew Valley selling over a million units which is drastically higher than Legends of the Sword Coast.

Also games like Minecraft.
I am not sure WoTC would decide to market their video game based on these games sales as they seem very different from D&D....

Yan
D&D Playtester

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I am not sure WoTC would decide to market their video game based on these games sales as they seem very different from D&D....

Well apparently they are making some app that I bet will either be bad or a knock off of Pokemon Go or something. I would almost put money on it that it will not be very good either.

You a betting man perhaps a new 5E book as a wager;). The criteria being a 75%+ rating on metacritic just to save arguments over whats good or not.

1st person to take that bet and win gets a nice new shiny 5E book. If something goes wrong (I have no money) you can cherry pick something of equal value from my collection.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Well apparently they are making some app that I bet will either be bad or a knock off of Pokemon Go or something. I would almost put money on it that it will not be very good either.

You a betting man perhaps a new 5E book as a wager;). The criteria being a 75%+ rating on metacritic just to save arguments over whats good or not.

1st person to take that bet and win gets a nice new shiny 5E book. If something goes wrong (I have no money) you can cherry pick something of equal value from my collection.
Haha no i don't bet but thanks for the offer anyway. B-)

Yan
D&D Playtester

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Modern "16 bitgames" look better than the original 16 bit games.

Did anyone actually look at the links I provided? The main point is you can have good looking games that are fun to play made very cheap relative to AAA+ titles. They sell more than some of those titles as well with higher review ratings.

I will use another example.

Grand Theft Auto comes out in the 90's. 2D top down game that did not look much better than micro machines 2 from 1994. GTA 2 comes out but its GTA3 that blows up becomes huge and becomes one of the biggest franchises around now (GTAV 240million+ budget to make)

You have to start somewhere is the main point and making crap games are probably doing the franchise more harm than good. We all expect a new D&D game or movie to basically be rubbish expectations are that low now.

The only AAA titles with budgets of tens of millions of dollars are generally established franchises (Witcher, Mass Effect, Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto).

If WoTC won't pony up the money to pay tens of millions of dollars to make a AAA title why should anyone else?

make 1-3 cheaper games that are good et some buzz and momentum, establish a franchise, then maybe you can make a AAA title.

But those are not, properly speaking, "16-bit" as such, but sprite based modern tech games.

Zardnaar

Legend
But those are not, properly speaking, "16-bit" as such, but sprite based modern tech games.

Hence why I put the "16" bit in quotes. Its a modern take that is achievable. Its a micro light aircraft vs a rocket ship, but D&D rocket ships don't get off the launch pad and tend to blow up so you end up with nothing or wreckage. I would rather have something that flies than nothing. Ideally sure a nice rocket ship would be nice, pity no one can afford it though.

Some BS D&D app is going to set the world on fire? Not holding my breath on that one. Just make a good game like Torment or Baldurs Gate or Eye of the Beholder 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2.

mflayermonk

First Post
Probably some kind of work with a partner (Sony or Microsoft etc) will be involved in this. Microsoft just cancelled Scalebound-not terribly hard to change some names and call it Dragonlance.

Remove ads