D&D 5E Why a New D&D Video Game Should Be 16bit/2D

It was in development for a while. Based on this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.backflipstudios.android.aodd&hl=en

But that was two years ago...

It's more fun to make one. I mean, we're all game designers here, aren't we? That's what DMing fundamentally is: designing and running games. We wouldn't be here if we didn't like making our own games. Or I wouldn't, anyway.

You could either run it as a pen-and-paper scenario with rules for XP, buying more PCs, levelling up, etc., or you could automate it and do it in software. Either way it's a nice Dungeon Keeper-style twist on the usual "go exploring and find treasure"--instead, the enemies come to you in your fixed defenses. (It also makes short rests/long rests very simple to implement; a short rest between every wave, and a long rest after every few waves.)

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
Obsidian & InXile have proven it's not impossible to create well regarded, quality RPGs without spending $10million plus...

Obsidian released Pillars of Eternity (which was an Infinity Engine game; in all, but name; with modern graphics) in March 2015 and supported with expansions the following August & February. Obsidian follows that by releasing Tyranny last November that builds upon the gameplay and engine used in Pillars of Eternity.

InXile released Wasteland 2 in September 2014 followed by the upgraded Director's Cut version (which was released as a free upgrade upon to those that purchased the original version) in October of the following year. InXile is going to release Torment: Tides of Numenera (which is based on Monte Cook's fantasy campaign setting) at the end of next month. InXile is currently developing the Bard's Tale IV which is scheduled for release next October & Wasteland 3 which is scheduled for release sometime in 2019.

To make all of the above even better I was able to purchase/take delivery or will be able purchase/take delivery in the future all the above mentioned games DRM-free through GOG.com. None of this "we don't trust you potential pirates"/"Mother-may-I?" DRM indignity that I personally can't believe people willingly choose to endure with Steam/Origin/U-Play/etc...

I would be satisfied if WotC/Hasbro new software division worked with a pre-existing studio to either create a modernized Infinity Engine style game (not unlike Pillars of Eternity & Tyranny), a turn-based and party-based RPG with tactical combat (not unlike Wasteland 2) or even an updated version of Neverwinter Nights 2 (modernize the engine for modern resolutions of at least 4K UHD, higher-res textures, extend the editor, etc...). In any event make sure the game can be moded to ensure long term sales (people are still working on and releasing Infinity, Aurora & Electron Engine mods).

I seriously doubt an early 90s, 16-bit graphics, RPG Maker, JRPG style game with the D&D name slapped on it is going to sell very well in 2017; maybe 25 or 20 years ago, but not now...

Kinda moot as I don't see Hasbro/WotC putting their valuable IP in the hands of someone so unknown and cash-poor that they'd have to look for money on KS.

And I agree that business runs on numbers. My whole point was that if Hasbro looked at the market and decided to make a game--but wouldn't fund it--that signals that they know what they are making is very bad, and won't return on their investment. Hence, not worth my investment either.
There's no Direct Connection between quality and sales when it comes to computer games. Hasbro could be developing the best hardcore D&D game ever but still stand to lose Money if it turns out there's no market for that kind of game anymore. Crowdfunding lets the Developer test the market before commiting to Development. The alternative is usually to go for a boring mass market casual game where the market is known to exist, and that's not likely to be terribly interesting to us here at ENworld.

SunGold

First Post
There's no Direct Connection between quality and sales when it comes to computer games. Hasbro could be developing the best hardcore D&D game ever but still stand to lose Money if it turns out there's no market for that kind of game anymore. Crowdfunding lets the Developer test the market before commiting to Development. The alternative is usually to go for a boring mass market casual game where the market is known to exist, and that's not likely to be terribly interesting to us here at ENworld.

Disagree that there's "no direct connection" between quality and sales. It's not an accident that the Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls games sell very well and are very good, for example. There are certainly some games that are good but have very small niche audiences, though. So I'd say there's "not always" a direct connection, but that's not the same as no connection at all. Rather, those small-but-good games are exceptions to a general rule.

Hasbro has no intention of making a game for a tiny hardcore audience:

This job req just went up on the hasbro site. https://jobs.hasbro.com/job/Renton-...&eid=303-201716180516-9199935000&locale=en_US

"[FONT="]Creation and management of franchise plans for specific product IP with a focus being games made for the mass market or “casual” gamer based on WOTC IP"[/font]

And why would they? They're a business. They're out to capture the widest audience they can, and ENWorlder types are a tiny minority.

Thinking on this, if I somehow simultaneously won both the job lottery and the actually lottery, and became in charge of making the D&D video game, a retro 16-bit mobile game might be the way I would go.
Military grade fan wanking follows:

Give it an overhead worldmap, akin to the early Final Fantasy and DragonWarrior games, likely of the Sword Coast. Quests and dungeons appear on that big map and take you to smaller zones where you adventure in a sidescrolling way. Likely in the standard JRPG method of separate battlemaps. Possibly with the added step of moving about a grid for a more tabletop feel.

You design and customize your own PC, picking your race and class. Then adventure with a bunch of NPCs of your choosing, hired at inns and such. Since this would be mobile game on tablets and other similar devices, you could also make friends with other users and use their characters in the game, forming a party.

There'd be small storylines and arcs in the main game. Likely inspired by the storyline adventures. Dragons, elemental cults, demons, giants, etc. Maybe some classic dungeons.
Now, here's the evil bit. The game should be paid and include the first couple story arcs.The rest would be in-app purchases. So the game can be expanded with new stories and dungeons over time.
But, to keep people playing, there should be an Undermountain. A Rogue-like randomly generated dungeon. Story lite and with less interesting treasure, but you can explore and play endlessly. (Or until level cap.)
New classes and such could be added through microtransactions as well. The big four (Basic Rules classes) should be free. Lots of free options. Ditto races.

Offline play is a much though. Online to connect and exchange party members. A "synch progress and backup" option. But you should be able to start up and play for a few hours with no internet.

Right now, that'd be my dream D&D game. Which would actually be pretty cheap all-in-all…

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Obsidian released Pillars of Eternity (which was an Infinity Engine game; in all, but name; with modern graphics) in March 2015 and supported with expansions the following August & February. Obsidian follows that by releasing Tyranny last November that builds upon the gameplay and engine used in Pillars of Eternity.

InXile released Wasteland 2 in September 2014 followed by the upgraded Director's Cut version (which was released as a free upgrade upon to those that purchased the original version) in October of the following year. InXile is going to release Torment: Tides of Numenera (which is based on Monte Cook's fantasy campaign setting) at the end of next month. InXile is currently developing the Bard's Tale IV which is scheduled for release next October & Wasteland 3 which is scheduled for release sometime in 2019.

To make all of the above even better I was able to purchase/take delivery or will be able purchase/take delivery in the future all the above mentioned games DRM-free through GOG.com. None of this "we don't trust you potential pirates"/"Mother-may-I?" DRM indignity that I personally can't believe people willingly choose to endure with Steam/Origin/U-Play/etc...

I would be satisfied if WotC/Hasbro new software division worked with a pre-existing studio to either create a modernized Infinity Engine style game (not unlike Pillars of Eternity & Tyranny), a turn-based and party-based RPG with tactical combat (not unlike Wasteland 2) or even an updated version of Neverwinter Nights 2 (modernize the engine for modern resolutions of at least 4K UHD, higher-res textures, extend the editor, etc...). In any event make sure the game can be moded to ensure long term sales (people are still working on and releasing Infinity, Aurora & Electron Engine mods).

I seriously doubt an early 90s, 16-bit graphics, RPG Maker, JRPG style game with the D&D name slapped on it is going to sell very well in 2017; maybe 25 or 20 years ago, but not now...

Retro 2D games are doing just as well if not better than retro Onfinitey style games; honestly, who knows what would work? I'd think maybe something more like a randomized hex-crawl dungeon-crawl Rogueloke would be best.

Uchawi

First Post
I can just imagine a DM at the table telling the players to put down their cell phone because they are not allowed to play D&D.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
Retro 2D games are doing just as well if not better than retro Onfinitey style games
Feel free to list these D&D style fantasy RPG "Retro 2D games" that have sold better than Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity. Be sure to include links to verifiable sales data. Please note, I don't consider Stardew Valley a D&D style fantasy RPG by any stretch of the imagination; I'd find it very difficult to believe if anyone else attempts to sincerely claim so either.

I'd think maybe something more like a randomized hex-crawl dungeon-crawl Rogueloke would be best.
Please explain how one could engage in simultaneous overland wilderness exploration ("hex-crawl") navigating a labyrinthine environment ("dungeon-crawl") "Rogueloke"???... (my educated guess is you mean "roguelike" here). I find your posts somewhat difficult to comprehend (and I don't just mean the typos).

Please do more than making an overwhelming amount of your response just quoting my previous post in full.

I recently came across this tile set you can use to make your own pixel-art hex-maps.
Reminds me of the graphics of the early 5 Star General series; Panzer General, Allied General, (especially) Fantasy General, etc...

Zardnaar

Legend
Feel free to list these D&D style fantasy RPG "Retro 2D games" that have sold better than Wasteland 2 or Pillars of Eternity. Be sure to include links to verifiable sales data. Please note, I don't consider Stardew Valley a D&D style fantasy RPG by any stretch of the imagination; I'd find it very difficult to believe if anyone else attempts to sincerely claim so either.

Please explain how one could engage in simultaneous overland wilderness exploration ("hex-crawl") navigating a labyrinthine environment ("dungeon-crawl") "Rogueloke"???... (my educated guess is you mean "roguelike" here). I find your posts somewhat difficult to comprehend (and I don't just mean the typos).

Please do more than making an overwhelming amount of your response just quoting my previous post in full.

Reminds me of the graphics of the early 5 Star General series; Panzer General, Allied General, (especially) Fantasy General, etc...

I still have the panzer general games and peoples general.

I used Stardew Valley as an example that a retro game can be a hit with fans, critics and sales.

To have a hit franchise you have to start somewhere and since they don't have an EA or Bioware budget or an established franchise to build on.

Last edited:

Remove ads