• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Calculated XP is Important

Kaisoku

First Post
OK, I don't know what's-is-name's cat from any other cat, so that one's lost on me.

That said, why on earth would any game time ever pass between one session and the next? If last session ended with the party about to open a door, then this session starts with the party about to open a door. Same if last session ended with the party arriving in town and settling in for the night; next session starts at the same point. The only exception is if something gets done during the week via e-mail or similar, but that's pretty much an extension of the session anyway, and everyone knows time is passing.

Ah, Schrodinger's cat. Put a cat in a box with poison released randomly (reasons of quantum uncertainty)... and then close the box so it's unobserved. Since the time at which the cat dies is unknown (random, and unobserved), it can be said that the cat is in a state of both death, and not death until observed.

It's also the reason Niels Bohr walks among us, immortal and unobserved... much to http://dresdencodak.com/cartoons/dc_022.htmSokar's lament.

Okay, so it's an acquired sense of humor.

Anyways.. I think the point he is making is that the "off-screen" PCs (those of the ones that aren't there), are off doing their own things and thus absent during the in between times that they aren't there.

So the session would end in a normal situation (not about to open a door in the middle of the dungeon, rather, at the bar of a tavern, etc). Then the next session, that player is absent, so then his Character is as well... and that's when you roll to see what happened to him.

If I ever start a Dungeons and Discourse game, you can bet I'd use something like that... if only for the Schrodinger Cat reference. :p
Although, an ingenious player might refuse to come back until something new was rolled, stating that until he came back, he's unobserved, and therefore immortal. /slap :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads