• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Changes were made in 4e

AllisterH

First Post
Wow, I even got Derren to agree with me?

But of course, I _HAVE_ to disagree with you in a way Derren.

I think while a real time 4e cRPG is right out, they could make a decent turn based RPG even with the problem of interrupts.

As or the issue of 4e being a videogame/easy to code...the fact is, it is easier to understand for normal humans mainly because the fluff is distinctly separated from the crunch of the power in that the italics are simply the description of the power.

You could do the same thing with earlier editions if they wanted to (how many of us had shall we say, interesting gaming discussions about spells because the flavour text of the spell was intertwined with the actual mechanics of the spell?)

Hussar

Legend
Hussar, I think you could be on the money wrt the RPGA and D&D4e but given you experience with VTTs, do think that WoTC could have also being envisioning expanding RPGA to an online campaign using a custom VTT and DM tools?
Would such ultiities make much of a difference, given that WoTC could leverage its own artwork and maps and so forth for release to the VTT?

I gotta admit, I thought they would have pursued this. I'm not really sure why they aren't to be honest. It would make perfect sense to me. Adventures could be built specifically for the VTT, plug and play and away you go.

You hardly have to automate it to play it. Macros just make gameplay faster in exchange for more setup. Done once. But you can play it fine without most of that.

You missed my point. To fully automate 4e, and, if you're going to use a VTT, why wouldn't you, is a massive undertaking. To fully automate earlier editions would be far, far easier, simply because you have so few choices.

Remove ads