Critical Role Why Critical Role is so successful...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
This player had a knack for doing unexpected things with magic that forced me into situations where I was unprepared, beyond the example I just gave. As such I've spent about two months so far trying to anticipate and pre-plan as much as possible for the next campaign I want to run. One of the first things I did, for example, was create a five page document detailing the last ditch defenses and countermeasures the planned BBEG would use if the party somehow teleported right to her inner sanctum.
Magic does have a way of wrecking carefully laid plans. I grew to hate etherealness for example.

Not sure I’d go with the 5 page document for the BBEG especially before the campaign has started! :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Matt does not make up his exploration on the fly, he actually invests some time for it and presents rich descriptions that set his players eyes aglow with interest.
Or bores people to death... ;)

And, it isn't hard to have rich descriptions ready if you have a good imagination and can describe the scene like you are seeing it in your mind's eye. For people who can't do that on the fly and have the time to invest in it beforehand, great.

Others can wing combat (I could in 1E/2E) but need to balance encounters in 5E more carefully. This is where I need to spend my time to run a great game--on encounter planning and balance--not on exploration or social.

Obviously, you like them, I don't. I'll leave it at that.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I would think that players have a role to play in the exploration pillar. The DM can try and describe things and even write text boxes and are great at coming up with descriptors, they still miss some things. The players have a role in asking questions to fill in details and help shape the story.
I want to believe that rewarding players engagement with the world by revealing exciting new mysteries and adventure quests would encourage them to continue to engage. A virtuous circle I see played out on CR week after week.

dave2008

Legend
I find a larger issue is the players. If the players aren't outgoing and have a direction for their characters, there isn't much for a DM to do but try to get them involved, sometimes even railroading them into it.
Yes, I think that is a big point @robus is missing in the OP. Exploration is great, if the players are into it. If not, it can be a dud that needs to be hurried through.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
During these covid-19 months, there's an added issue that prolonged stress tends to rob us of our focus and creativity. Criticizing how many tantalizing mysteries we give our players right now is waggling a finger at us for something we really don't have much control over.
Not sure why you took this negative connotation, btw, we’re always discussing how to run games on this forum?

This was simply a general observation on the exploration pillar (which has been the focus of threads recently) and how I think CR puts it front and center to great success. Agree or disagree, but don’t try to turn it into a attack on DMs running games during Covid. Sheesh.

dave2008

Legend
Others can wing combat (I could in 1E/2E) but need to balance encounters in 5E more carefully.
Wow, that surprises me. I find it a least as easy to wing encounters in 5e than 1e (I didn't play 2e) and probably easier. It was so easy to have a bod role or two complete change the complexion of a 1e encounter that I remember just giving up in trying to balance an encounter. Therefore, that has been my basic approach since 1e, just build the encounter that makes sense for the world and let the chips fall where they fall. I find I get a lot less PC deaths in 5e this way than I did in 1e. I spend about 0 prep on balancing encounters in 5e. Especially now that my PCs are 15th level, but it was true from at least 3rd level on.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Yes, I think that is a big point @robus is missing in the OP. Exploration is great, if the players are into it. If not, it can be a dude that needs to be hurried through.
I’m not so sure, I think folks who enjoy fantasy escapism also enjoy a rich world full of mystery and adventure. CRs massive audience seems to support that position?

But sure, I’m a random person on the internet. I just thought it was an interesting counterpoint to those clamoring for exploration rules and claiming the exploration pillar sucks.

dave2008

Legend
Not sure why you took this negative connotation, btw, we’re always discussing how to run games on this forum?

This was simply a general observation on the exploration pillar (which has been the focus of threads recently) and how I think CR puts it front and center to great success. Agree or disagree, but don’t try to turn it into a attack on DMs running games during Covid. Sheesh.
But you did kinda make it an attack on DM's (covid or no covid), by saying it is a lack of inspiration not provide by DMs. I mean this sound a lot like you are saying the problem is bad / uncreative DMs: "...We really don’t need additional rules for exploration, we need more inspiration (not the mechanic, but actual, real inspiration). This is why the back of the DMs guide lists a library of reading to enhance a DMs ability to create interesting worlds. Rules or generators can’t do that, only a DMs mind, seeded with a fount of ideas."

To be honest, it may be true, but...

I have only watched season 1 (plus start of season 2), so that might have changed, but I never got the feeling that exploration was the central pillar of CR, but rather social interaction, both between PCs and between PCs and NPCs. So of course Mercer also does a good job at portraying interesting locations to discover for the players, but if we subtract also the banter, I think CR would be a lot less entertaining to watch (not that it would be a terrible game, just less suitable as entertainment).

dave2008

Legend
I’m not so sure, I think folks who enjoy fantasy escapism also enjoy a rich world full of mystery and adventure. CRs massive audience seems to support that position?
My point is CR is also a success because of the quasi professional players as well - it is not just the DM. I've had all sorts at my table and if you got someone who is really only interested in killing orc and dragons, they are going to tune out during exploration and social interaciton - even with a well seeded backstory.

But sure, I’m a random person on the internet. I just thought it was an interesting counterpoint to those clamoring for exploration rules and claiming the exploration pillar sucks.
Sure, but I don't think things like exploration rules and literary inspiration are an either or scenario. Explorations rules or guidelines are there to help those DMs who aren't as creative, or don't have the time, or have a hard time improvising. They can serve a purpose that reading a bunch of source material can't for some. Yes, I agree being a creative DM with a wealth of knowledge, and a plethora of time is great for making engage exploration possible, but those who don't have that could use some help.

Remove ads