Critical Role Why Critical Role is so successful...

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Just "let's not compete with the market leader head on" is in itself not a commendable business strategy. You seem to give Paizo a pass simply because their game isn't like 5E, as if that is enough of a reason.

When PF2 comes across as not having learned a single lesson taught by 5E's success, I doubt their strategy. When even a bit player like EN Publishing realizes that Paizo has inadvertently* left the space as Hasbro's satellite and as the provider of "D&D just how you like it, but more", the alarm bells should ring.

*) I know they quite deliberately wanted to sever their dependency on WotC. I don't think they wanted to leave the clear No. 2 spot in the D&D sphere.

I think "advanced D&D" is a much much larger potential market than whatever market Paizo gunned for. I think Level Up! has a real shot at overshadowing PF2, relegating that game to the outskirts of the D&D sphere, where lots of other games have gone to slowly wither away...

And what market did Paizo gun for exactly? Their game certainly isn't anything like d20 or Pathfinder 1, cleaned up or not. It's far too obtuse to attract the new breed of gamer ushered in by 5E. As I see it, it's a market for gamers attracted by 4E-style presentation and approach to magic items, which is a very dodgy market given how that game tanked. It plays much better than it looks, but my best shot at defining that market is "a brand new segment only the curious even finds, much less sticks to".

What are you even talking about? A pass? I stated what they did. They are not trying to make a 5E game. Period, not disputable, they weren't even interested. They did a massive playtest targeting their players to build the game. They worked with their fan base to make the game their fans said they wanted.

If it fails to capture the market they went after, then so be it. Businesses fail all the time. If some other company comes up that takes the number 2 spot, then so be it.

I'm telling you what Paizo did. I'm not giving them a pass or what not. I and my group like their game. If some other great game came out, we would probably play that if we liked it more. Same as we did when World of Warcraft took out Everquest.

That's competition. I'm not some Paizo fanboy loyal to the core. I just like PF2. So does my group for now. As long as the game stays fun, we play. If it doesn't, then we go. Simple as that.

Exploration has always been at the heart of all my campaigns. The rest is filler. I imagine my players to be visitors of a themepark. Each village or locale they visit, is another Disneyland. I fill those areas with sights to explore. One of the wonderful things about running a D&D campaign, is showing how weird and wonderful this fantasy world can be.

711eeeeIHwL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

It's kind of like visiting Diagon Alley. Wherever you go, wherever you look, there are strange and wonderous things to see. Behind every window, around every corner... A world filled with wonder. I want my players to have that sense of awe when they explore. There are no generic medieval towns that look 'just like another town'. They are all unique. While this does mean a lot more preparation, I think DM's would do well to care about their world to this degree.

If the players visit a townsquare, think about what it is called, and why. Is there a statue there, of a local saint perhaps? Can the players inquire about this saint? Does the square tie into the plot some how? This is the level of detail I aim for with my campaigns. The more cross connections you can get in there, that tie the location to other plots in the campaign, the better and more memorable it will be.

If the players visit a magicshop, what does it look and smell like? Does it perhaps look very different from other buildings, or have quirky features on the inside and outside? What wonderous things are on display behind the store window? Which things does the store owner refuse to sell? Just this detail alone will make those shopping trips a whole lot more interesting to play out.

Last edited:

Remove ads