D&D 5E Why did I wait so long to DM?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Jeesh you guys are so fab....Hang on....I think I have something.........in my eye......must be....the dust....excuse me.....

Iosue

Legend
I'll just say, "Seek not to follow the footsteps of the wise; seek what they sought." Chris Perkins and Matt Mercer were once new DMs like yourself. Where they are now is the result of lots of experience and mistakes, and they've both found their own answers. Keep at it, find your own way, and you may end better than either of them!

guachi

Hero
To my joy and amazement, they broke out into role-playing their characters almost instantly without me having to do any encouragement at all. It was in depth stuff as well, they really thought about what their characters would say or do and then acted that out beautifully. There was suspicion in their voices, prejudiced terminology between the two monstrous races, necessity to eventually accept and accommodate each other and responsibility for collecting firewood and who should take first watch.

DMing is so much easier with players willing to get into it like yours did. My favorite campaign was one where all the players role-played their characters to the hilt. The DM had said he didn't want us to create powerful characters and, combined with the setting being low magic/low fantasy, the players basically turned all their energy into the personality of their characters. It was an incredibly fun campaign.

As to the maths and rules as a DM - I have no problem asking players to look things up that I don't know. I generally ask whoever just took a turn in combat to do the looking up.

Remove ads