D&D 5E Why did I wait so long to DM?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
DM’d my first ever game last night. (Why oh why did I worry all these years?)

I have played on and off for 30 years but never had the confidence to DM a game. My maths is poor as are my organisational skills. However I finally plucked up the courage and I persuaded my partner and her friend to play, and so these two ladies in their mid-50’s sat beaming across the table at me with their female Half-Orc Rogue and their male Dragonborn Paladin ready to go. I was quite anxious myself as I really wanted them to enjoy the game like I do, and didn’t know how any of it was going to go down.

I have to admit at this point that I am a huge Critical Role fan and decided to use their playlist (especially both elms tunes) of background music to help immerse and also hide my nervous voice.

The two adventurers met at a junction in the road. Their destination was the small frontier hamlet of Fallowcrest. But first they had to make camp and spend the night in the sheltered ruins of the old watchtower and with each other’s company.

To my joy and amazement, they broke out into role-playing their characters almost instantly without me having to do any encouragement at all. It was in depth stuff as well, they really thought about what their characters would say or do and then acted that out beautifully. There was suspicion in their voices, prejudiced terminology between the two monstrous races, necessity to eventually accept and accommodate each other and responsibility for collecting firewood and who should take first watch.

By the time they reached Fallowcrest the next day, it was as if they had been adventuring for some time together. The hamlet itself was the next phase that worried me. They had shown that they could role-play wonderfully. Now it was my turn. I had set a limit of interesting places for them to visit. Tavern, Blacksmiths, Farm-Market stall, Provisions store and a Multi-faith centre. The rest of the buildings were people’s small homes. I had an idea in my head of what I thought they would do, and of course, they mixed the order around completely.

I was kind of hoping that they would visit the store first as I had practised that particular NPC’s voice. Percival’s Prodigious Provisions (Critical Role anyone) but nope, they ignored my desperate nudge that way and drove straight for the tavern. Initially I had named the tavern but had been mulling over whether to involve the players in helping to create some aspects of the world around them. They loved the idea. The Red Dragon Inn swiftly turned into the Barlock Arms. (Barlock being a road we all used to live on). Then one of them stated that Barlock sounded like Warlock and so I quickly announced that the picture on the tavern signpost was a purple set of arcane runes. Before I knew it, this tavern had more life/flavour/history about it than I could have imagined, and the players were intrigued.

I soon found that all my non-prepared NPC voices were turning out to be of a Cornish accent for some reason (Mr Frodo Sir) and that the great lengthy speeches that I had prepared for each of them went completely out the window because they didn’t seem right. Spontaneity spewed out of me a lot easier and didn’t feel false when using the NPC’s.

Arial, a girl with a lame arm that I had initially prepared to run up and talk the female Character as a way to start them role-playing, was still there, but that role for her was now unnecessary. I had her greet them anyway stating that her daddy said that there were adventurers around! A little later in the tavern The PC’s met Arial’s mother and asked about the child and her father, for some reason, and I don’t have a clue why, I stated, through the voice of the mother, that the father had died not a year back of some disease. It got an instant interest from the PC’s about who then was talking to Arial and made for a definite future hook.

I had a little trepidation that the main hook for this first story would not be taken up by the PC’s. Wow was I wrong. They almost bit my hand off for it. After they knew they had to travel somewhere, they realised that they did not know the area. Hah! Enter Percival’s Prodigious Provisions and a map that I had spent hours making. He was a joy to role-play and the ladies loved him. (Cheers Ma..Gilmore).

Another area that I was not sure about at all was combat. They had never played before, there were 2 PC’s not the usual 3-5 so CR’s were unknown for me a little, and as stated before, my maths is pretty poor. The main benefit was that I have been a player for a long time and was easily guiding them through the combat stage which they picked up very quickly. Maths didn’t actually prove to be any issue at all and everyone seemed to be having fun. They did their thing and returned to the hamlet as heroes. Suspicion of these two monster adventurers was replaced by thanks and lots of requests for aid: Please heal my sick baby, exorcise my home etc. Hooks for the future.

The session ended there after 5 hours that had completely flown by, and my partner’s friend queried with a big grin “When are we playing again?” That was the point where I knew I had crossed a line. I had become a DM.

Now I have taken that first step, I do wonder why it took me so long and why I thought I couldn’t do it. It wasn't difficult and I had great fun improvising and changing things mid-session.

I have posted a few times on this forum with certain questions and also ideas that I thought might be risky but wanted your balanced thoughts and answers. Your knowledge and your willingness to answer and support as a community has been fantastic and has spurred me on to give the DM thing a go. I’m very happy I did and so are two lovely ladies that I am very fond of and who now for the first time, profess to be......Nerds.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
That's awesome, congrats! The hobby needs more DMs. I worry that people new to the game will watch many of the streamed games like Critical Role, AI, and Chris Perkins's games and be intimidated. There are many styles of play and everyone is ther to have a good time.

I used to DM a lot when I played in high school. When I got back into the game a couple decades later, there was a lot of trepidation. Even though I'd DM'd a lot when I was younger, the game was quite different. Seemed to be a greater emphasis on minis and terrain. Also, I am not a voice actor by any means so watching Critical Role or Chris Perkins wasn't great for my confidence. It was easier back in the day before celebrity DMs (and the Internet for that matter). There are a lot of benefits to the fact that you can learn the game without having to find existing players, you can see great DMs to model, and there are so many great people sharing excellent resources and advice...but it can be overwhelming for the new DM.

But I'm glad I jumped back into it and glad you made the leap as well!

manduck

Explorer
That's awesome! I'm glad you decided to take a chance and give the DM chair a shot. I was pretty nervous when I started running games as a DM too. Now I love it. I think you'll be having fun as a DM for quite some time. It's also great to hear you're sharing the hobby with new people. Keep up the good work!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I soon found that all my non-prepared NPC voices were turning out to be of a Cornish accent for some reason (Mr Frodo Sir) and that the great lengthy speeches that I had prepared for each of them went completely out the window because they didn’t seem right. Spontaneity spewed out of me a lot easier and didn’t feel false when using the NPC’s.

This resonated with me. I've now stopped reading out prepared spiels from the published adventures because it gives you a crutch that sometimes means you don't really understand the NPC (or environment) or it actively trips you up because things aren't going according to the book.

The key IMHO is to understand the world and the NPCs and then improvise your descriptions and speeches based upon that understanding.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
IME, the greatest joys of the game - both as a DM and as a Player - is when you go "off script", thereby necessitating improvisation. Often, that is when the campaign develops those little details that mean so much.

Iry

Hero
I worry that people new to the game will watch many of the streamed games like Critical Role, AI, and Chris Perkins's games and be intimidated. There are many styles of play and everyone is there to have a good time.!
I don't think many people are intimidated by Critical Role and Chris Perkins. Most of the things they do are beginner level DM'ing, which I believe is the point. They want to make the game look easy, accessible, and fun for new players. Something I think they succeed at with flying colors.

As for the OP, congratulations on running your first game! I am really glad your two players made the process easy on you and made the experience enjoyable. You're always welcome to brainstorm here on the forums for ideas.

Well done! DMing is nearly always a high wire act. You need to set up your world then mold it to fit your characters in fun ways as you get to know them.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't expecting any, just saying thanks really.

I do love Perkins as well as Mercer. I know I will be nothing like them, but what they do do is absolutely inspire me. (and bring me hours of fun/escapism/pleasure in my downtime) Playing for all those years, I maybe have a little insight into what DM's I don't want to be like and what individual traits I want to cherry pick from other DM's

Intimidation wise, that was always number crunching and the unknown, but I feel that I have fought that foe head on and have maybe won. I must admit that when the players or indeed myself, went off-script, it excited me greatly because the three of us are just creating this fantastical world between us and I have no idea where that will take us, so in some respects, I'm still playing excitedly.

Mechanics-wise. I had a laptop, a DM screen and a homemade dice tray (previously held 12 cans of cat meat). I also had the core books around as well. I did feel at times cluttered. The laptop prevented me from seeing the Skill DC's on the screen so I ended up just making them up in my head without any idea if they were right.

There were a few times when I thought I might have to fudge some rolls behind the screen but this never actually needed to happen. They loved the two riddles that they had to solve, and actually liked the combat more then I thought they would (future M.Hobo's?) I also gave them a letter each just before play that was tea-stained and red candle-wax sealed. Never had one of them as a player but would have loved to.

Main problem now is that I put so much time, imagination and effort into the first session, I may struggle to compete with that in the future.

Remove ads