• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you start the hobby?

What caused you to be interested in D&D in the first place?

• Computer games of a fantasy/RPG slant. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic, etc.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Fantasy novels, books and stories.

Votes: 56 26.4%
  • Fantasy movies.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Non fantasy roleplaying games or wargames.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Just started because friends were doing it.

Votes: 79 37.3%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 54 25.5%

So, what caused you to first look at D&D anyway? What were you doing previously that was your avenue into the game; that caused D&D to be interesting, in other words? I may not have captured all of them, but what the hey.
  • Computer games of a fantasy/RPG slant. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic, etc.
  • Fantasy novels, books and stories.
  • Fantasy movies.
  • Non fantasy roleplaying games.
  • Just started because friends were doing it.
  • Other (please describe)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Came across some pals playing it before class and at lunch in middle school. I had previously seen the hobbit on TV.

Once I started, I was hooked good for about 6 years. I quit around 1987. In 1997, I started playing Magic: The Gathering with a friend from work, then started playing in his 1E game in 2000, and started running a 3E game in late 2001.

In between, I read al kinds of fantasy novels.

So, many of the above pertain to me.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Had just finished reading the Hobbit in 7th Grade and was reading LOTR on my own when someone started me on Gamma World and I said is there a game like this which is more like LOTR ?
My friend said "Some game called Dungeons and Dragons" and I bought the Red Box :D

Been my only real hobby since :p

Crothian

First Post
"It'll make you feel good"

Gotta love those anti drug commercials from the 80's :D

Peer pressure, pure and simple. My friends were playing, so I started up and got addicted.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Other - I saw the red Tom Moldvay edited 1981 Boxed Basic Set in a Circus World in 1981. The rest is a long, long story...

Dimwhit

Explorer
I went with the 'friends' option, but it was actually my older brother and his friends. Close enough. I was 9 or 10 at the time. Been playing ever since.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads