• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you start the hobby?

What caused you to be interested in D&D in the first place?

• Computer games of a fantasy/RPG slant. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Might and Magic, etc.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Fantasy novels, books and stories.

Votes: 56 26.4%
  • Fantasy movies.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Non fantasy roleplaying games or wargames.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Just started because friends were doing it.

Votes: 79 37.3%
  • Other (please describe).

Votes: 54 25.5%

jdavis

First Post
1978, it was a snow day and I got to go play with the older kids, they had this really cool game and they let me play, the rest is history. Funny it was D&D that got me into fantasy literature not the other way around, I read the Lord of the Rings books because of D&D (actually I read the Silmarillian first, that's a rough read for a 10 old).

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Back in 1983 (when I was 10) we moved house and to keep me quiet and out of the way, my mum bought me a couple of the Steve Jackson & Ian Livingstone Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. I was hooked on them, read all about D&D but never knew how to get in on gaming.

Then in 87 a new kid came to my high school and he was a big roleplayer and he got me into the hobby. Been a slipper slope ever since. :)

woodelf

First Post
I'm a little hazy on the order here, but i think what got me interested in playing D&D was playing D&D. We were on a family vacation, and visiting friends of my folks who had kids around our age. One evening, one of them ran my brother and i through a short adventure. The horn of bubbles has been perhaps my favorite magic item ever since.

Anyway, i loved it, but didn't really know what to do next. I bought the D&D Basic Set by mistake when i was trying to buy Dungeon!, but i can't remember whether i'd already had it at that point, or i got it after that first game. I do know that when i first tried to read the Basic Set, i got sorta overwhelmed by the complexity, and invented my own game instead (which, logically enough, turned out to be far more complex and arbitrary). It was a fair bit later (at least 6mo) when i finally sat down and read it and made some sense of it. That, and played for a while with my best friend as DM--he'd learned from a mutual friend who's older brother gamed.

Also, i was big into the Choose Your Own Adventure (and a couple other brands of the same thing) at around that time (can't remember if i discovered them or D&D first), and have always been a huge fan of both folklore/mythology and scifi/fantasy. But i don't recall making any sort of logical connection between those activities and D&D at the time, and certainly didn't seek out D&D because it was like any of teh above--i had never heard of it until i played it.

But, in short, i got into RPGs because they're RPGs, not because they're like any other activity, or share common elements with other media. Which makes perfect sense to me--IME, the only activity that is sufficiently like RPing to usefully predict interest in RPGs is collaborative storytelling--and that just barely--and that's hardly a common hobby/pasttime. IME, those who try RPGs because they're like computer games are usually disappointed, and go back to the computer (as opposed to those who try them because they're unlike computer games, in some crucial way that they expect to be an improvement). Likewise, plenty of people have a huge interest in spec fic, but have no interest in "living" it, so assuming a fantasy fan will like RPGs is, IMHO, silly. And so on for actors, fanfic writers, wargamers, etc. Likewise, i've known a fair number of RPers who can't stand fantasy/scifi lit/TV, aren't really into computer games, etc. (And, yes, at least one of these was a big fan of playing fantasy RPGs--just didn't like being the oblserver, i guess.) RPGs are a fairly distinct breed, and i've yet to stumble on to a predictive correlation between other interests and them. Which makes me think that a survey like this is going to show you correlations, at best, not causation--you can't say "a ha!, 25% of responding RPers attribute their initial exposure to D&D to computer games, therefore computer gamers are likely to like RPGs".

Carebear2326

First Post
Reason why I started

Hm, I would have to vote Other. I met & married my husband in 1999 who had gamed since 3rd grade. It was kinda natural for me. I come from a family who totally loves theater & acting, so this was a way that I could get my acting fix without having to memorize lots of lines & the such. Started with my husband after we were married with Call of Cthulu right before 3rd edition came out, so fairly new gamer here. I loved doing it & have really enjoyed gaming every since.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Um... I think you shoulda allowed multiple selections on this particular poll. No one answer fits me. I think they all do in some way...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads