• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why did you stay with an earlier edition?

Why did you stay with an earlier edition of D&D?

• I couldn't afford the latest edition.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because the people I play with didn't want to change.

Votes: 49 21.7%
  • I stayed with an older edtion because I've invested enough in it and didn't want to buy new books.

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • I stayed with an older edition because I felt the new rules weren't as good as the old.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Unabashed Nostalgia. I fell in love with a particular edition.

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • DDI or other electronic support (or lack thereof) caused me to stay with an older edition.

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • I have always adopted the latest version of D&D as soon as it came out.

Votes: 55 24.3%

I voted 7. But if I would not have felt that the game had improved (at least in certain areas) I would have chosen the "rules" option.

If 5e fails me, which i doubt, I won't actually know what to do ;)

TimA

First Post
My timeline is thus....

Started with AD&D, played it for years, house ruled some stuff i didnt like (thac0, turn undead) and had no intention of updating to 3e....

Till one of my players bought the books, liked them and convinced me to at least read them and see if he loaned them to me.....

Still wasnt convinced but decided to give it a few sessions to see and lo and behold loved it......

Sorta updated to 3.5. We had a scattering of both kinds of books around the table and I honestly never saw enough difference to justify the switch...

after a few years got sick of 3e and switched to D20 modern and NWoD. Liked both, LOVED NWoD......

Liked the idea of 4e and remembering my experience with 3e decided to be openminded and give ita chance.......

LOATHED 4e. Playing it was so unpleasant that after a couple of sessions I called off the game (to several sighs of relief) and we all got drunk and spent the rest of the night deciding which edition to switch to for future games.........

Warhammer won out. Not the newest one with cards and weird stuff but the one before that that Black library never gave decent support or a fair chance to before abandoning for a crappy mutant card game / RPG.......

And now I'm back to NWoD mainly with some 3e thrown in. Havent played pathfinder but I'm open to it. Things just havent worked out for a PF group that fits my somewhat odd schedule yet.

And I bet like a lot more people then will admit it openly I have no intention of paying for 5e before I know if i like it. I'll download it, read it and see if I like it. Then if theres enough interest in the edition in my area I'll buy the books.

But if I dont like what i read or a majority of people I play with dont want to switch then i wont buy them. And given that 4e seems to have gotten an even frostier reception in my local gaming community then in most other places I dont hold out high hopes for 5e here.

Vegas is wierd like that though. Theres actually more pre 3e gaming and warhammer going on here right now then there is 4e or 3e. PF seems to be moderately popular.....

So anyway I'm a rules guy with regard to switching.

Remove ads