• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why DMG 6 additional optional rules isn't AL legal?

pogre

Legend
I think this is going to vary a lot from DM to DM so you can always ask. Personally I would find some of the options simply annoying, especially because if a player uses something so can my monsters. So if you have a guy that disarms NPCs, don't be surprised when that giant disarms your fighter. But I don't allow it in my home game (it slows down the game).

On the other hand, if a PC wanted to climb a larger creature I'd allow it. Just don't complain when those kobolds climb on your head and turn your helmet sideways to blind you. :devil:

Agree with this and I imagine the part I bolded is WOTC's main concern.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I can only guess but here are a few of my guesses.

• attempt to disarm their opponent with a mellee swing (str or dex) - Cheapens the existing Disarm maneuver available to Battlemaster's by making it a default option for all characters.

• Marking (this one is less of a move and more of a straight martial PC and NPC buff, it makes opportunity attack more potent after melee swings) (str or dex) -Cheapens existing "marking" options available to Ancestral Guardians and Cavaliers.

• Barge THROUGH the enemy's space, overun (str) costs an action or bonus action.-Cheapens existing trample options available to Elk Totem warriors.

• Tumble through the enemy's space (dex), costs an action or bonus action - Cheapens halfling option to move through occupied space.[/QUOTE]

Notice I say cheapens, rather than invalidates. These class and race options would still work with the optional rules in play, but they might feel less special.

Now my this last part isn't a guess as much as my opinion, but all these "options" don't need special rules. The player can describe trying to climb onto a bigger creature, roll past an opponent, or any of these scenarios and the DM is always free to determine if that succeeds, fails, or call for a check to determine success or failure even in AL.

Staccat0

First Post
So like... in an AL game, what happens if I DO try any of that stuff? Is it like a video game and the DM just says “no” or do they make a ruling?

leogobsin

First Post
So like... in an AL game, what happens if I DO try any of that stuff? Is it like a video game and the DM just says “no” or do they make a ruling?

Well the moving through another creature's space options pretty clearly contradict the general rules which state you can't, period. Marking is sort of an abstract thing that you can't really argue your character 'should' be able to do unless that variant rule is in play, but climbing onto a large creature and disarming are physical acts that it's reasonable to imagine characters doing, so at that point I'm not really familiar enough with the guidelines for AL DMing to say.

delericho

Legend
AL seems to be set as the most accessible entry point into the game, plus three variant rules I know of: feats, multiclassing, and the variant human (which is likely only a variant because it needs the variant rule of feats).

My *guess* is that they are trying to keep AL as the the "most basic" game, but that feats and multiclassing are considered too something* to not include.

* guesses at "something" include: "sacred cow", "really part of the base game but separated for those who want an even simpler game"

This. But my guess for the "something" would be "is in the PHB".

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

After stating your approach and goal, the DM should decide if it succeeds, fails, or is uncertain and call for a check. That should be the case in a AL or Non-AL game and how DMs rule will vary even between AL DMs.

Remove ads