Why DMG 6 additional optional rules isn't AL legal?

Hayato

Explorer
The DMG has 6 additional optional rules that can make melee combat more interesting on page 271 and 272:
• "grapple" onto a larger creature, climbing on to them (str or dex)
• attempt to disarm their opponent with a mellee swing (str or dex)
• Marking (this one is less of a move and more of a straight martial PC and NPC buff, it makes opportunity attack more potent after melee swings) (str or dex)
• Barge THROUGH the enemy's space, overun (str) costs an action or bonus action.
• Shove the enemy aside instead of backwards (str)
• Tumble through the enemy's space (dex), costs an action or bonus action

The question is why Wizards don't make it AL legal? It's a boost to every martial. Furthermore, you feel more open to environment as RPG should be. Doesn't seem right that only BM can do some tricks. Really, it's weird think that I can't disarm someone in AL events or either other table, because I'm not a BM. Or, climb on dragon to attack him there on his back.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
AL seems to be set as the most accessible entry point into the game, plus three variant rules I know of: feats, multiclassing, and the variant human (which is likely only a variant because it needs the variant rule of feats).

My *guess* is that they are trying to keep AL as the the "most basic" game, but that feats and multiclassing are considered too something* to not include.

* guesses at "something" include: "sacred cow", "really part of the base game but separated for those who want an even simpler game"

ccs

41st lv DM
I'll bet you the answer lies in that these options are in the DMG - a book not needed by the players, so you can't assume that the player will know/have access to these rules.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Doesn't seem right that only BM can do some tricks. Really, it's weird think that I can't disarm someone in AL events or either other table, because I'm not a BM. Or, climb on dragon to attack him there on his back.

Have you actually asked to try either of these things yet? Because I'm pretty sure certain DMs will say "Sure, you can attempt it" during games if you did. Whether or not you use the rules in the DMG or not.

Oofta

Legend
I think this is going to vary a lot from DM to DM so you can always ask. Personally I would find some of the options simply annoying, especially because if a player uses something so can my monsters. So if you have a guy that disarms NPCs, don't be surprised when that giant disarms your fighter. But I don't allow it in my home game (it slows down the game).

On the other hand, if a PC wanted to climb a larger creature I'd allow it. Just don't complain when those kobolds climb on your head and turn your helmet sideways to blind you. :devil:

Satyrn

First Post
On the other hand, if a PC wanted to climb a larger creature I'd allow it. Just don't complain when those kobolds climb on your head and turn your helmet sideways to blind you. :devil:
That sounds awesome fun! Your players should be complaining that the kobolds aren't doing that.

Blue

I think this is going to vary a lot from DM to DM so you can always ask. Personally I would find some of the options simply annoying, especially because if a player uses something so can my monsters. So if you have a guy that disarms NPCs, don't be surprised when that giant disarms your fighter. But I don't allow it in my home game (it slows down the game).

From the AL FAQ (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/DDADVL_FAQv3.pdf)

Can I use the Variant and Optional Rules in the PHB/DMG?
The only optional or variant rules available for use are:
• Variant: Customizing Ability Scores (PHB)
• Variant Human Traits (PHB)
• Half-Elf Variants (SCAG)
• Option: Human Languages (SCAG)
• Tiefling Variants (SCAG)
• Variant: Playing on a Grid (PBR)

My understanding is that AL is supposed to be homogeneous in regards tot he rules no matter where you play.

Oofta

Legend
From the AL FAQ (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/DDADVL_FAQv3.pdf)

Can I use the Variant and Optional Rules in the PHB/DMG?
The only optional or variant rules available for use are:
• Variant: Customizing Ability Scores (PHB)
• Variant Human Traits (PHB)
• Half-Elf Variants (SCAG)
• Option: Human Languages (SCAG)
• Tiefling Variants (SCAG)
• Variant: Playing on a Grid (PBR)

My understanding is that AL is supposed to be homogeneous in regards tot he rules no matter where you play.

I think there's a difference to feel empowered to do something like allowing PCs to jump onto the back of that huge dragon and using the rules from the DMG and using, say, the disarm rules on all the time.

One comes up only rarely and is something that if I didn't know it was in the DMG I may have allowed anyway, the other could be pretty game changing.

End of the day a DM runs the game and it's up to them to make sure the action keeps moving and people are having fun without making fundamental permanent changes to the game.

Blue

I think there's a difference to feel empowered to do something like allowing PCs to jump onto the back of that huge dragon and using the rules from the DMG and using, say, the disarm rules on all the time.

One comes up only rarely and is something that if I didn't know it was in the DMG I may have allowed anyway, the other could be pretty game changing.

End of the day a DM runs the game and it's up to them to make sure the action keeps moving and people are having fun without making fundamental permanent changes to the game.

Absolutely agree. The DM should do ad hoc ruling where needed to run the game. I misread and thought you were saying that some AL DMs would activate variant rules. For example, climbing up a dragon is something that can happen in a narrative and the DM will have to adjudicate. On the other hand, Marking all targets hit (all targets attacked?) is another of the ones the OP was talking about that's like never to be a regular response in AL.

Remove ads