D&D 4E Why do 4e doomsday threads get closed so quickly?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Lanefan said:
Not that I care one whit about that particular thread; it wasn't worth reading, but if WotC's 4.5e denial is going to be justification for shutting down more civil and potentially interesting "don't buy 4e, wait for 4.5e" discussions, that - to me - is a concern.

Lanefan

Having read that thread, I don't think WotC denying there will be a 4.5 was the main cause of the clampdown. There will be versions after 4th edition and it ultimately doesn't matter what they are called. Declaring it will be a 4.5 version much like 3.5 is, however, bad attitude-laden rumormongering at best, disinformation at worst. It certainly wasn't constructive and, given the number of threads that are degenerating along the edition wars topic, I can certainly see why the mods might be a bit sensitive and irritable right now.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Crothian said:
As for ulterior motives, I'd also look at the posters causing the problems and see what theirs are.

There are certain behavior patterns concerning the origination of deliberately inflammatory threads, yes.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Umbran said:

Hey, folks! Did none of you see Piratecat ask you to not sidetrack this thread into that discussion?

Now, perhaps you see first hand why some things get closed. Because on these topics, some folks find it impossible to listen! There is a time and place for everything, and this is neither.

Next one to bring up Rouse/WotC allegedly lying in this thread gets banned.

Does this mark the first time a thread in Meta has ever needed to be moderated? Ah the irony were it so... :)

The fact of the matter is that we don't know much about 4E. That leads to speculation, and speculation is usually based on what the we would like to see. Of course, when something is revealed that doesn't jive with those hopes, people tend to get obstinate and defensive and lash out. I see this especially when other people like those reveals. Not that we really know anything yet, but that's not really the point. It's all about the fantasy - when the fantasy is revealed to be impossible, it's pretty crummy.

Anyway, I try to keep this in mind, especially when I read the 4e subforum.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
LightPhoenix said:
Does this mark the first time a thread in Meta has ever needed to be moderated?
Good lord, no!

There have been plenty of short sharp showers (of something) here in Meta. Sometimes just folks very angry about being moderated elsewhere, trying to "continue the conversation" despite being told to not do that.

It's why mods try hard to avoid reading stuff in Meta. I would.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads