Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

niklinna

satisfied?
Definitely time for the International Phonetic Alphabet!

Here are a couple soundboards I found. They aren't great, and one of them is definitely just for General American English, but it's a start.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I’m an Army Brat in the USA, so moving every 2-4 years (including 3 years in Bavaria) weirded my accent & pronunciation.

For me:

Au(aw)spicious
Au(aw)dacity
Au(aw)to
Clau(ow)strophobia
Menopau(ah)se
Plau(aw)sible

18 years in northern Illinois followed by 10 in central (before 23 down here in South Carolina) and those all seem like what I have. I might be 50-50 with Clawstrophobia and Clostrophobia.

How do you say the thing on top of the house. roo + f or rhymes with wolf and hoof?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
How do you say the thing on top of the house. roo + f or rhymes with wolf and hoof?
Neither? (Oh oh, we probably pronounce that word differently too!)

For me (West Coast Canadian - and I've never heard a Canadian pronounce out as oot. Never.) roof is like the roo in kangaroo with an f at the end, or like "Oof. I fell down." with an R at the beginning.

Meanwhile "wolf" has an l in it. Like a sheep's wool with an f. Wulf.

And hoof doesn't quite have the longer oo sound. I can't think of a way to spell it. Closer to huf but not quite huff, if you get what I mean. Anyway doesn't quite rhyme with roof. Although it would if you were from Washington State. (Though I've heard them pronounce that Warshington. Not all of them, though.)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Neither? (Oh oh, we probably pronounce that word differently too!)

For me (West Coast Canadian - and I've never heard a Canadian pronounce out as oot. Never.) roof is like the roo in kangaroo with an f at the end, or like "Oof. I fell down." with an R at the beginning.

Meanwhile "wolf" has an l in it. Like a sheep's wool with an f. Wulf.

And hoof doesn't quite have the longer oo sound. I can't think of a way to spell it. Closer to huf but not quite huff, if you get what I mean. Anyway doesn't quite rhyme with roof. Although it would if you were from Washington State. (Though I've heard them pronounce that Warshington. Not all of them, though.)

The L in wolf is silent for me I think. I want to say I pronounce roof, wolf, and hoof to rhyme with the way I'd say neuf and boeuf. But my French pronunciation is probably really bad (and slow) for the few words I remember.

[And the "woof" sound of a dog. My son also pronounces the singular of wolves like I do, but my wife gets the L in wolf and pronounced roof like you do.]

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The L in wolf is silent for me I think. I want to say I pronounce roof, wolf, and hoof to rhyme with the way I'd say neuf and boeuf. But my French pronunciation is probably really bad (and slow) for the few words I remember.

[And the "woof" sound of a dog. My son also pronounces the singular of wolves like I do, but my wife gets the L in wolf and pronounced roof like you do.]
Woof is the same as hoof but not the same as roof. For me. Neuf and boeuf would be completely different. (Though I wouldn't say my French is very good either. I may be Canadian, but I speak Japanese nearly as well as I do French, which is not great.)

On the original subject... I definitely put an oar in Centaur. Cent-oar. Like rowing fifty boats. Minotaur is the same but definitely min and not mine. If any of that makes sense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
18 years in northern Illinois followed by 10 in central (before 23 down here in South Carolina) and those all seem like what I have. I might be 50-50 with Clawstrophobia and Clostrophobia.

Roof rhymes with Goof. Hoof…depends. Sometimes it rhymes with roof, but others it’s more of a “huhhf”…”hoof” with a shorter “o” sound.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases