D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

Zardnaar

Legend
Weren't the 2e halflings in Dark Sun the original race? They didn't dominate the other races, they created them. Well maybe they created and then dominated them, I can't quite recall the lore for the dark sun halflings.

Yes the were the dominant race in the blue age.

They created the tower to kill some sort of tide iirc.

That ended the blue age. The Halflings mutated into the other races via the pristine tower they didn't create them as such.

Kreen were an exception but I don't think they were that sentient in the blue age and the ancestral memory is hazy.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Yep! Called you complete "misunderstanding" of what I said.

So the village isn't half a day away from the human village like you said? Maybe it is a thousand miles? Maybe it is six because of the hills you are going to add which has a hidden valley that can only be reached by ducking under a blackberry bush? It changes so often, I never seem to know.

Sure. Which is why you have a subordinate who can control them go with them, or go yourself, since you know, commander of undead army. You run your necromancers as morons, though. I'll run mine as though they actually think their plans through.

Right, you are imaging an "army" being treated like an "army" despite the fact that I keep saying "horde" and "infection style" which isn't led, they are unleashed. A classic plot which you insist on calling moronic and brain dead. Because you'd have an army with commanders, and lieutenants and structure. After all, since that is how you'd do it, it must be the only viable plan.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Brave words. Wrong ones, but brave ones.

plus honestly I think the fact we've gone on this far about halflings specifically and the gnome mentions tend towards short shows that halflings were the mistake and gnomes fit into the world better somehow :p

I legit think they do. They have solid hooks, solid write-ups, tons of interesting reinterpretations. I legitimately think that no one has had a single bad thing to say about them except for short jokes.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
The issue is scale. I have read stories where people have the superpower of luck, one was a LitRPG novel that I think really highlighted the issue.
Domino in deadpool 2 has the power of incredible luck
I think that strongest gene is another litrpg book where the min character is cursed/blessed with luck through a magic item. Halflings are nowhere near having the kind of luck displayed in those examples that would be needed for some of the "because lucky" justifications thrown around
Yes the were the dominant race in the blue age.
They may have created the other races (kreen aside)as well
1613433522977.png
They created the tower to kill some sort of tide iirc.
The Pristine Tower is important in a lot of ways even in present day athas but here's a pretty good discussion on the brown tide
That ended the blue age. The Halflings mutated into the other races via the pristine tower they didn't create them as such.

Kreen were an exception but I don't think they were that sentient in the blue age and the ancestral memory is hazy.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Pointing out fallacies is not a personal attack. You don't want to be called out for them, don't commit them.

Really? What fallacy is "Troll"? Or "King Strawman"? Is that royal "we" use of the strawman fallacy?

How about the constant accusations that I either can't read or refuse to read the material being discussed?

But, you know what you say, you keep highly detailed notes of it, just so you can call people out for using a slightly different word you did and accuse them of putting words in your mouth. So you are well aware of the number of personal attacks you have made against me.

Zardnaar

Legend
Domino in deadpool 2 has the power of incredible luck
I think that strongest gene is another litrpg book where the min character is cursed/blessed with luck through a magic item. Halflings are nowhere near having the kind of luck displayed in those examples that would be needed for some of the "because lucky" justifications thrown around

They may have created the other races (kreen aside)as well

The Pristine Tower is important in a lot of ways even in present day athas but here's a pretty good discussion on the brown tide

Yeah it's been a while. Did a big Darksun binge around 15 years ago for 3.5.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Really? What fallacy is "Troll"? Or "King Strawman"? Is that royal "we" use of the strawman fallacy?
I never called you a troll and use of "Strawking" was pointing out a strawman for the umpteenth time.
How about the constant accusations that I either can't read or refuse to read the material being discussed?
I said, since you ignored much of what was written, that it "it seemed like" or "apparently" you didn't read it, because it did seem like you didn't. Not once have I ever even implied that you can't read, though. Thanks for yet another Strawman of what I said. I don't remember one way or the other about whether I said you refuse to read the material.
But, you know what you say, you keep highly detailed notes of it, just so you can call people out for using a slightly different word you did and accuse them of putting words in your mouth. So you are well aware of the number of personal attacks you have made against me.
This is false. I call you out for significant changes to what I say. I use my words carefully and your constant twisting of what I say into absolutes changes the meaning by quite a bit.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Brave words. Wrong ones, but brave ones.

plus honestly I think the fact we've gone on this far about halflings specifically and the gnome mentions tend towards short shows that halflings were the mistake and gnomes fit into the world better somehow :p
"Who do you want to be in this fantastical world of adventure, as you delve into ancient tombs, uncover lost secrets, and battle creatures from the nether pits?"

garden-gnome.png

Remove ads