• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You have yet to prove that there is any struggle with Halflings within D&D, let alone in other games outside of it. There are personal preferences about them here, but no proof of them not adapting outside of Middle Earth.

The proof is D&Dstyle dwarves, elves, gnomes, orcs, and hybrids appearing in many nonD&D works as major races but D&D halflings not. If halflings had the broad and versatile elements many claim it does, it would be found in the forefront of more games or even appear in them.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
No paranoia there dude. They live in out of the way places and don't make roads. So what. That doesn't equate to paranoid. But sure. Go ahead and dig up more examples of me not saying what you want me to have said.

When your leaps made to preserve plot armor attached to a halfling farmer are the sort of thing more likely to be done by refugees fleeing german forces hunting them at the height of ww2 than a farmer heading to market & you've given no reasons for them to take such measures you've gone beyond representing mere paranoia

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The proof is D&Dstyle dwarves, elves, gnomes, orcs, and hybrids appearing in many nonD&D works as major races but D&D halflings not. If halflings had the broad and versatile elements many claim it does, it would be found in the forefront of more games or even appear in them.
I've seen more non-D&D style dwarves, gnomes, orcs, etc. in other games than ones that mirror them. Games want to differentiate themselves, not be a D&D clone.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When your leaps made to preserve plot armor attached to a halfling farmer are the sort of thing more likely to be done by refugees fleeing german forces hunting them at the height of ww2 than a farmer heading to market & you've given no reasons for them to take such measures you've gone beyond representing mere paranoia
Show me one quote that says or implies that Halflings are afraid people are "out to get them."

Hint: You can't. You can only find quotes that show that a peaceful, carefree society would take reasonable steps to avoid danger.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Show me one quote that says or implies that Halflings are afraid people are "out to get them."

Hint: You can't. You can only find quotes that show that a peaceful, carefree society would take reasonable steps to avoid danger.
You seem to be under the impression that describing behavior of refugees trying to hide from death squads doesn't count as a demonstration of paranoia if you don't use that word. When you describe behavior that demonstrates an incredible level of paranoia you don't need to use the word paranoid. The things you have described are not even on the same planet as "reasonable steps"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You seem to be under the impression that describing behavior of refugees trying to hide from death squads doesn't count as a demonstration of paranoia if you don't use that word.
You seem to be under the "impression"(in quotes, because you know as well as I do that I never said that) that I said something about "death squads." Stop the BS Strawmen dude. Respond to me, not the stuff in your own head. You make it really hard not to laugh at your posts.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You seem to be under the "impression"(in quotes, because you know as well as I do that I never said that) that I said something about "death squads." Stop the BS Strawmen dude. Respond to me, not the stuff in your own head. You make it really hard not to laugh at your posts.
The lack of anything like death squads or magical collectors looking to carve up halflings for parts is precisely why the incredibly extreme paranoid behaviors you keep making up for halflings is so unreasonable

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The lack of anything like death squads or magical collectors looking to carve up halflings for parts is precisely why the incredibly extreme paranoid behaviors you keep making up for halflings is so unreasonable
And with that, you've shown yourself to be nothing but a troll. Bye.

Sure, but it still doesn't make probability additive like you claimed.

And, it doesn't fit with the rest of how DnD handles luck based abilities.
Lucky =/= probability. In fact it's the opposite of probability. And we don't know how luck works in the D&D multiverse because the various luck based abilities don't fit a coherent pattern.

Which is good. Any universe should have things no one understands. The more you study the real universe (if it is real at all in any sense) the more you realise you don't understand. Fantasy universes should be the same if they are to have any depth. A universe in which everything is understood is finite, shallow and unrealistic.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Lucky =/= probability. In fact it's the opposite of probability. And we don't know how luck works in the D&D multiverse because the various luck based abilities don't fit a coherent pattern.

Which is good. Any universe should have things no one understands. The more you study the real universe (if it is real at all in any sense) the more you realise you don't understand. Fantasy universes should be the same if they are to have any depth. A universe in which everything is understood is finite, shallow and unrealistic.
We know exactly how it works "When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll"nothing about that is additive & certainly nothing about it rewrites reality to hinder the ability of someone to find a village or notice q road leading to it using their skills such as survival or perception

Remove ads