• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

We know exactly how it works "When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll"nothing about that is additive & certainly nothing about it rewrites reality to hinder the ability of someone to find a village or notice q road leading to it using their skills such as survival or perception
That's not the only luck mechanic in 5e.

And we know, from observation of the D&D multiverse that luck does prevent enemies finding halfling villages. We just don't understand luck well enough to explain the mechanism. When your theory fails to explain observed facts, it's your theory that is wrong, not the fact.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That's not the only luck mechanic in 5e.

And we know, from observation of the D&D multiverse that luck does prevent enemies finding halfling villages. We just don't understand luck well enough to explain the mechanism. When your theory fails to explain observed facts, it's your theory that is wrong, not the fact.
It is however the only one that applies to all halflings. The lucky feat only applies if someone has it and only then whenever you make an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw" & "when an attack roll is made against you."
Nothing about that is additive for skill checks made by others and there is certainly nothing about it to suggest 20 halflings =100% that got us on this "that's not how math works" tangent.

Oofta

Legend
Show me one quote that says or implies that Halflings are afraid people are "out to get them."

Hint: You can't. You can only find quotes that show that a peaceful, carefree society would take reasonable steps to avoid danger.
Just remember. Halflings live in a monster infested world with minimal chance of survival because they have to spend days traveling through enemy territory to get to market. Except they can't because donkeys aren't really beasts of burdens and only carts can haul grain.

But the real issue is that they take reasonable precautions to avoid notice so therefore they're hyper paranoid that Nazis are going to find them and, apparently, dismember them for some reason.

Oh, and of course they'd never survive because there are games that don't include them. That and they can't possibly defend themselves against orcs because halfling soldiers are too small to carry standard pikes and there are no rules for downsized versions of weapons. Pikes and other heavy weapons are, apparently, the only weapons any army ever used.

Or something. Kind of hard to keep track of all the goalposts when they get shuffled constantly.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Just remember. Halflings live in a monster infested world with minimal chance of survival because they have to spend days traveling through enemy territory to get to market. Except they can't because donkeys aren't really beasts of burdens and only carts can haul grain.
While true, remember that you and max are trying to dismiss two different problems raised by two different posters through the use of plot armor. That dismssal just kept lurching into deeper extremes as the excuse poffered to dismiss one made the other a larger problem or turned halflings into something very much at odds with the god awful halfling culture in the phb.
But the real issue is that they take reasonable precautions to avoid notice so therefore they're hyper paranoid that Nazis are going to find them and, apparently, dismember them for some reason.
No the precautions are far from reasonable & describe a culture extremely different from the one described in the phb. While that might result in an interesting culture to develop it is however a different topic

The two problems raised are
  • @Chaosmancer brought up "what about monsters, bandits, & raiders" or something similar. He can correct me if that's grossly off the mark but I think it's close enough for page 48
    • To this we got tales of how halflings avoid the use of roads & even paths while living far enough away from any of those that limiting themselves across uncleared terrain (can we say "forests") using nonrepeating routes through said forests to avoid making so much as a path that a skilled tracker such as a ranger could find or follow.
  • @tetrasodium (myself) brought up the fact that the halfling monoculture described in the phb collapses in the presence of a more advanced culture spreading as the romans & monngols did through their respective areas. I gave links that went into the changes joining the roman empire brought to people not yet part of the roman empire such as roads, advanced construction, trade for exotic spices or other nonlocal products, the safety & expediency of roads subject to the occasional soldier patrol for safety, etc. Those benefits were large enough that villages would regularly go to a nearby roman linked city in attempt to join themselves into the roman empire to gain benefits. Preserving the halfling culture as described to keep FR's do nothing monocultures pure requires changing human nature so that nobody ever considers doing things like that even though it's happened in our history more than once in different parts of the world
    • This was dismissed by suggesting that halflings don't have any interest in any of those benefits to the point where it was suggested that they don't even have an interest in things like exotic spices & nonlocal grain/produce because they are farmers in perfectly safe fertile land who grow & brew/distil everything they ever want to eat/drink.
Right off the bat people raising problems being dismissed noticed that the leaps into extremes being taken to dismiss the other problem raise a larger problem, turn halflings into omething bordering on starfish aliens and make the other problem raised even more credible. Given that the silk road stretched from western europe to asia those halflings would need to live an extreme distance from everyone else to meet the distance needed for the attempted dismissial & FR is just too cluttered for that making a couple days through wilderness at least a plausible distance for a single trained & skilled scout to have trouble finding. You & max aren't suggesting a different "reasonable" distance from roads because then it would be laughable for the bandit/raider/orc** ranger chaos brought up to find their village.

All of the shunning of the benefits from things like roads & trade again links back to the dismissal excuse needing to dismiss that bandit** and maintain the cultural stasis of isolated monocultures so it too leads to downright bizarre extremes where they grow/brew/distil everything in an incredibly bountiful area of land without needing to trade. The distances created o dismiss Chaos's problem bring up the problem of such an area existing. We know what happens when such a bountiful pristine area filled with people who have no real concept of organized self defense from other human/humanoids due to having everything they need right there in large enough quantities to avoid any need of fighting over it is discovered by a more advanced civilization. That did not go well for the people living in north & south america when the similarly bountiful new world was discovered by the Europeans.

On the idea that the presence of monsters & bandits makes FR into some ultra deadly death world we can look at our own history for reasonable analogs such as wolves, brown/black/grizzly bears, & in some regions things like the tiger. Those threats range from cr1/4 to cr2 with bandits ranging from cr1/8 to cr2 giving a good range of monsters that could reasonably exist in settled areas that include
  • many slimes & oozes
  • various undead such as zombies skeletons & ghoul/ghast
  • even a few monstrosities like hellhounds, winterwolves, & a few of the beefier humanoid types like goblinoids orcs, & so on resting right on the cusp as an alternative to rabid wolves/bears & trained soldiers turned bandit
In our world those threats were significant enough that communities would band together & do things like occasionally patrol roads forests to case off & kill predators or make banditry dangerous enough to allow merchants the ability to travel roads with reasonable expectations of arriving without the need of too many guards. Those traveling merchants liked to stick to roads despite the risk because it allowed them to carry enough goods in a cart or wagon to be worth the trip & made stumbling into a bear/wolf/tiger/etc den with an overprotective mother while lost less likely if they were traveling through untamed wilderness.

• or is that putting words in someone's mouth? would jungles be better? what?
  • I'm just gonna call them & their ranger a bandit from this point on to save on words.

Chaosmancer

Legend
There is a difference in those two ways to protect someone, yes. That both are ways to grant protection is a fact, though. The difference is, "I grant you the protection of this gun. Here." and "I grant you the protection of this police officer."

And halfling gods are the only ones who are doing the former.

Hence why I said that they were the only gods protecting their people in such an overt manner. So, we are in agreement, unless you somehow want to say that these things you recognize are different are somehow the same.

Because, while giving you a tool to protect yourself does give you the capability to protect yourself, it does not have the same effect as someone else protecting you for you.

As I said before, you are overestimating(grossly) the visibility of chimney smoke. I grew up in a town of 400 where everyone used wood stoves in the winter. From half a mile or a mile away from town, you could no longer see the smoke. Between the trees and smoke dissipation, you have to be almost on top of a town to see it like that. Orcs are not going to be sitting up on a mountain two weeks travel away and see smoke from a Halfling village.

Right, if they are sitting up on the mountain they can just look down and say "Hey, look at that large farmland over there."

I've climbed up on a cliff and looked down. Spotting a series of large farms isn't difficult. Then, when they get closer, they can follow the smoke.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Right!

You know what's easier to track and requires a road? A cart! You know what you will choose not to use if you don't want to be tracked or have a road to your village. A cart!

It may be more work, but so what. Better more work than to risk the village.

And then my third sentence from that post.

That trail isn't clearly visible and easily followable. Just as easy as a road to spot for people used to the wilderness.

Oofta

Legend
While true, remember that you and max are trying to dismiss two different problems raised by two different posters through the use of plot armor. That dismssal just kept lurching into deeper extremes as the excuse poffered to dismiss one made the other a larger problem or turned halflings into something very much at odds with the god awful halfling culture in the phb.

No the precautions are far from reasonable & describe a culture extremely different from the one described in the phb. While that might result in an interesting culture to develop it is however a different topic

The two problems raised are
  • @Chaosmancer brought up "what about monsters, bandits, & raiders" or something similar. He can correct me if that's grossly off the mark but I think it's close enough for page 48
    • To this we got tales of how halflings avoid the use of roads & even paths while living far enough away from any of those that limiting themselves across uncleared terrain (can we say "forests") using nonrepeating routes through said forests to avoid making so much as a path that a skilled tracker such as a ranger could find or follow.
  • @tetrasodium (myself) brought up the fact that the halfling monoculture described in the phb collapses in the presence of a more advanced culture spreading as the romans & monngols did through their respective areas. I gave links that went into the changes joining the roman empire brought to people not yet part of the roman empire such as roads, advanced construction, trade for exotic spices or other nonlocal products, the safety & expediency of roads subject to the occasional soldier patrol for safety, etc. Those benefits were large enough that villages would regularly go to a nearby roman linked city in attempt to join themselves into the roman empire to gain benefits. Preserving the halfling culture as described to keep FR's do nothing monocultures pure requires changing human nature so that nobody ever considers doing things like that even though it's happened in our history more than once in different parts of the world
    • This was dismissed by suggesting that halflings don't have any interest in any of those benefits to the point where it was suggested that they don't even have an interest in things like exotic spices & nonlocal grain/produce because they are farmers in perfectly safe fertile land who grow & brew/distil everything they ever want to eat/drink.
Right off the bat people raising problems being dismissed noticed that the leaps into extremes being taken to dismiss the other problem raise a larger problem, turn halflings into omething bordering on starfish aliens and make the other problem raised even more credible. Given that the silk road stretched from western europe to asia those halflings would need to live an extreme distance from everyone else to meet the distance needed for the attempted dismissial & FR is just too cluttered for that making a couple days through wilderness at least a plausible distance for a single trained & skilled scout to have trouble finding. You & max aren't suggesting a different "reasonable" distance from roads because then it would be laughable for the bandit/raider/orc** ranger chaos brought up to find their village.

All of the shunning of the benefits from things like roads & trade again links back to the dismissal excuse needing to dismiss that bandit** and maintain the cultural stasis of isolated monocultures so it too leads to downright bizarre extremes where they grow/brew/distil everything in an incredibly bountiful area of land without needing to trade. The distances created o dismiss Chaos's problem bring up the problem of such an area existing. We know what happens when such a bountiful pristine area filled with people who have no real concept of organized self defense from other human/humanoids due to having everything they need right there in large enough quantities to avoid any need of fighting over it is discovered by a more advanced civilization. That did not go well for the people living in north & south america when the similarly bountiful new world was discovered by the Europeans.

On the idea that the presence of monsters & bandits makes FR into some ultra deadly death world we can look at our own history for reasonable analogs such as wolves, brown/black/grizzly bears, & in some regions things like the tiger. Those threats range from cr1/4 to cr2 with bandits ranging from cr1/8 to cr2 giving a good range of monsters that could reasonably exist in settled areas that include
  • many slimes & oozes
  • various undead such as zombies skeletons & ghoul/ghast
  • even a few monstrosities like hellhounds, winterwolves, & a few of the beefier humanoid types like goblinoids orcs, & so on resting right on the cusp as an alternative to rabid wolves/bears & trained soldiers turned bandit
In our world those threats were significant enough that communities would band together & do things like occasionally patrol roads forests to case off & kill predators or make banditry dangerous enough to allow merchants the ability to travel roads with reasonable expectations of arriving without the need of too many guards. Those traveling merchants liked to stick to roads despite the risk because it allowed them to carry enough goods in a cart or wagon to be worth the trip & made stumbling into a bear/wolf/tiger/etc den with an overprotective mother while lost less likely if they were traveling through untamed wilderness.

• or is that putting words in someone's mouth? would jungles be better? what?
  • I'm just gonna call them & their ranger a bandit from this point on to save on words.
You forgot the risk of trolls. They're running rampant around here.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Would Halflings use the exact same tactics as humans? No. But I don't have a problem with this image
View attachment 132003
or even
View attachment 132004

Those are great images.

Also from 3.5 if I don't miss my guess. So, where is all of this in 5e? Where are these armored outriders with shields and spears?

But we're not talking about armies made up of halflings. Halflings don't have kingdoms, they have villages. Most are probably embedded in other race's kingdoms. That doesn't mean they don't have defenders against raiding parties.

But you still haven't addressed my question. How do most small villages and farming communities of any race survive? They aren't going to have a large enough contingent of heavy infantry to defend themselves, they couldn't afford it.

The book tells us what the traditional defenses are, sticks and rocks. Pot Lids as armor. Note that none of that matches the images from 3.5 you posted.

Now, you say that a small village couldn't afford to have a large contingent of heavy infantry, and I'll grant you that is true. But, what does it really require to have a small guard force?

Weapons and armor can be made by the locals. Tanned hides can make hide armor. A carpenter and a blacksmith can make simple weapons and armor. So, lets say ten guards with spear, shield and armor. Total cost of making it would appear to be 5gp per armor, 5gp per shield, and 5 sp per spear. 10.5 times ten is 105 gold. That is a lot of money.

However, a small village according to older DnD rules is..hmm, I'll use hamlet which is 80 to 400 people. Let's take 240 as a mid point. Some of those would be skilled workers, smiths, tanners, ect, but we'll just assume everyone is unskilled labor for ease of math.

The 5e PHB assumes that unskilled labor generates an equivalent of 2 silver per day. 240 * 2 * 360 days / 10 to convert to gold -> This tells us that in equivalent value, the hamlet should generate about 17,280 gold per year. That means that equipping a defense force is only about 10% of yearly GDP. That doesn't seem too far out of line.

Now, I'll grant you, that isn't cold hard coin. Some of that would be barter, some of it would be services for favors, ect. And this is likely a close estimate, because while I assumed everyone was working, a skilled laborer makes ten times the value, so everyone who counts as skilled, because they can use tools, accounts for nine people who do not work.

So, yeah, you probably won't have knights with warhorses, gleaming platemail, and lances, but a few guards with basic equipment? That seems like something they could afford. Especially if the gear was crafted only every few years. And ten guards is likely not enough, but it isn't nothing. And it can be a deterrent for some of the smaller raid parties and beasts. And that is just by themselves, with simple gear that any village should be able to make.

Chaosmancer

Legend
You know what carries even more then a cart? A wagon. No, wait, river barge. In today's world, a grain truck. Still more? A train. Not enough? Ocean going cargo ship. Yet somehow people throughout the ages and even today somehow manage to get crops to market using only pack animals. Not carts, not wagons, not river barges. Mules, donkeys, llamas, camels have been used for millennia to transport goods.

Also, the fact that one picture showing a clear path means no path could be hidden is simply ... not sure what word to use without violating policy ... goofy.

So unless you can answer my other question or explain how somehow nobody carries goods to market using nothing but pack animals, have a good one.

Sure, small individual farmers carry their goods multiple hours to the town by pack animal. Sometimes. But, if they can, they generally use wagons. A lot of people who never use wagons live in places where wagons can't traverse the terrain

How many towns transport their goods to city via single pack animal? I'd venture none. They might have a "caravan" of pack animals, that could work, but they wouldn't send a single person.

And sure, I guess it is possible that those caravans of animals could leave no animal trails that are able to be spotted by a skilled wilderness tracker. I'm sure you can explain exactly how that could be done right? After all, it is supposed to be nearly impossible to find and follow these trails, even for skilled trackers. So, how do they do that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads