Why Do You Hate An RPG System?

Nagol

Unimportant
GM: "Then why did you select 'Insatiable Kleptomaniac' as the Trouble for your character?"

How is the GM taking control of your character? If you have Fate points, you can spend a Fate point to reject the complication. If you want the Fate point, you are accepting the complication presented to you, and you get the Fate point. If you want to steal, then you are accepting the complication presented to you, and you still get the Fate point. D&D has far more readily available ways for the GM to remove player agency than anything that Fate offers.

The aspect could be something like "Likes glittery things", too. Or the character is a hypocrite.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What you're saying is that you have a poor imagination...

Mod Note:

Insulting people is a great way to get yourself dis-invited from the thread. Please find a topic you can discuss while also treating your fellow posters with respect, as you won't be part of this conversation going forward.

Aldarc

Legend
The aspect could be something like "Likes glittery things", too. Or the character is a hypocrite.
IMHO, that's the fun thing about Fate. You can write your character Aspects in a wide variety of ways, and the language of these Aspects impacts the interpretation of the character and their subsequent story complications.

Nagol

Unimportant
IMHO, that's the fun thing about Fate. You can write your character Aspects in a wide variety of ways, and the language of these Aspects impacts the interpretation of the character and their subsequent story complications.

I agree! The free-form attributes are a wonderful thing. I like FATE games though truth be told I've used and will likely to continue to use older variations more frequently than newer. I own Dresden Files, but the only games I've run and played in are based on Strands of FATE.

I prefer Pendragon and especially the Hero system. and run them much more frequently.

Aldarc

Legend
I like FATE games though truth be told I've used and will likely to continue to use older variations more frequently than newer. I own Dresden Files, but the only games I've run and played in are based on Strands of FATE.
I have looked briefly into Strands of Fate and heard good things about it. However, I find that the more elaborate Fate becomes, the more difficult it becomes for me to grok. But blessed be those who enjoy it, for gaming should be fun.

I think I'd rather have the dice make that determination than have the GM make it because he couldn't think of anything "cooler" than taking control of my character.

You do realise that in Fate you can refuse a compel? It's not the GM making the determination - it's the player who is deciding whether it's worth accepting.

Aldarc

Legend
You do realise that in Fate you can refuse a compel? It's not the GM making the determination - it's the player who is deciding whether it's worth accepting.
You can also negotiate a compel with the GM, especially if you believe that the nature of the compel is out-of-character or is incongruent with the wording/intent of the Aspect. This is even discussed in the Fate-SRD:
In order to compel an aspect, explain why the aspect is relevant, and then make an offer as to what the complication is. You can negotiate the terms of the complication a bit, until you reach a reasonable consensus.
And also later:
GMs, remember that a player is ultimately responsible for everything that the character says and does. you can offer decision-based compels, but if the player doesn’t feel like the decision is one that the character would make, don’t force the issue by charging a fate point. instead, negotiate the terms of the compel until you find a decision the player is comfortable making, and a complication that chains from that decision instead. if you can’t agree on something, drop it.
Consent as part of the social contract of gaming is kinda a HUGE part of Fate.

Arilyn

Hero
I like Fate aspects because of self balancing. If my trouble comes up in game, I get rewarded with a chip. If it doesn't, then I don't. I like how the aspects can be used, not just for complications, but as a way to get a boost too. They are game mechanics and describe your character's personality. The Fate points can also be used to help your buddy as well, which is classic TV drama. I caused trouble, but now my "flaws" are of great help to story, (Okay, now it sounds like Curious George.🤔)

And if a player prefers the more unflawed hero type, aspects like honourable, or never refuse aid to those in need, can be easily leveraged against the character.

It's not bribery, or GM controlling your character, or meta-gaming. It's just a cool mechanic. All RPGs have out of game mechanics. I mean we are sitting around a table, usually munching on snacks or drinking beer. There's only so much immersion that can be achieved. 😊

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
You do realize that it's usually the GM who decides to compel, yes? And that if the player wants to refuse the compel, he pays a cost to do so? It contains elements of bribery, extortion, and the GM hijacking the player's character.

I've played FATE, and I've run FATE; while I'm a better DM for the experience, I'll never do the latter again (and I don't know that I trust anyone enough to do the former, but I suppose it's possible). In my experience, there's literally nothing I want to do in a TRPG that FATE does better than anything else. In the ideal world this would go without saying, but--obviously--your experience may be different.

Remove ads