D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Tony Vargas

Legend
5E...allowed me to reel in new players (my own seven-year-old among them! Yay!), who had never been in contact with RPGs before. That particular job, 5E does extremely well I think!
I've introduced a lot of new players to D&D via the Encounters program, at Conventions, and now, AL. IMX, 4e was actually easier for genuinely-new players to learn (and, surprisingly, transition into running, themselves), but 5e has two stunning advantages: 1) it's familiarity & feel for /returning/ players who last gamed in the TSR era, who are if not the majority, a plurality of 'new' players I encounter, so easier for /them/ to pick up & understand. 2) It's not being loudly decried all over the internet as the anti-Christ of D&D, nothing puts a wet-blanket on a potential come-back like the Old Faithful Fans ragging on the current version - returning fans and potential new fans (even if they'd no experience of the original) thinking about climbing onto a come-back bandwagon want to believe they're getting something of the original experience.

Last edited:

Emerikol

Adventurer
Agreed. Hate is for stuff that actually hurts others - and there's plenty of that in the world already.

I think it's the English language that overloads the meaning of everything. I say "I hated that movie" all the time. It means I think it was a waste of my time and I'm sorry I paid to see it. It does not mean I want to see the producers lynched or their right to make moves taken away.

There are also ideologies I hate which I admit the feeling is stronger towards than towards any movie, book, or game. I don't think though there is all that much confusion, maybe a little, when someone says "I hated that book or movie" The same is true for games or any other form of entertainment.

Hate as a word isn't so much dilluted as it has become incredibly context sensitive. Most people in conversations like this are using hate as a synonym for the more accurate "dislike." But saying "I hate the person who did that shooting" is an understandably more visceral use by context than "I hate the lack of nuance in D&D 5E's skill mechanic."

For some people (honestly, including myself) I haven't given up on the use of dislike as a more accurate use of the feeling being expressed here. But the internet functions better with, exploits, and exaggerates hyperbolic word usage so that's kind of where we're at these days.

I think it's the English language that overloads the meaning of everything. I say "I hated that movie" all the time. It means I think it was a waste of my time and I'm sorry I paid to see it. It does not mean I want to see the producers lynched or their right to make moves taken away.

There are also ideologies I hate which I admit the feeling is stronger towards than towards any movie, book, or game. I don't think though there is all that much confusion, maybe a little, when someone says "I hated that book or movie" The same is true for games or any other form of entertainment.

You provide a good example in the first sentence of why dilution of the word hate causes confusion for many, because for many people the word hate is usually reserved for much stronger feelings. In your example, I'd use the phrase "didn't like" or "it wasn't a good film....it was a bad film. An Awful film. A Waste of Time..." Anything else. "Hate" works, sure, but it raises questions about the depth of your hate that leads to the kind of nonsense confusion we see pretty much constantly (and especially with some notable recent movies, where some people really do seem to "hate" the movie in a director-lynching direction--do they really? Id they're using the same terminology as someone who does, constantly, then how can we tell???? And that sort of hyperbole undermines your more refined use of the word hate, as a result.)

Honestly, we'd all be better humans if we stopped relying on hyperbole for our constant expression. But I guess forums would get more tedious and less exciting then. ;-)

Emerikol

Adventurer
Honestly, we'd all be better humans if we stopped relying on hyperbole for our constant expression. But I guess forums would get more tedious and less exciting then. ;-)

If you figure out how to do that, go straight to the middle east and get those folks loving on each other again. We gamers can wait. I think there is definitely too much passion about things we don't like that is for sure. Not sure the word hate though is the source of our trouble.

If you figure out how to do that, go straight to the middle east and get those folks loving on each other again. We gamers can wait. I think there is definitely too much passion about things we don't like that is for sure. Not sure the word hate though is the source of our trouble.

The problem is that people write like they express but we read like we are interpreting it all as literal.......without the face queues and body language it gets messy!

Paul Pem

First Post
from the stuff off the top of my head im going to be replying to a few things over-all
I Felt like 4E/5E did more then 1 battle a day better via reward with extra abilitys / faster ability respawn Example Short Rests or Encounter powers in 4/5E and such made the game encourage you to do more then 1-2 battles in a single day

Feats and such while they do offer some varity in gameplay/customization its not strictly cannon / Most of the ppl i know refuse to allow it in there games, So yeah I dont get to see this (I admit its my biased option but its there its something 5E allows)

I get how the current arguement is its hard to figure out what someone means exactly without faceol expressions
I stated things i dislike just on the top of my head without giving it much thought, But another thing that pisses me off is the community of 5E players over-all both IRL and online. They annoy me to death at times and recently IRL ive been in fights with people all coz i didnt like 5E that well, That was the excuise they needed to start a fight.
Bull
Honkey thats BS, So Yeah Take it the most hateful way you can Puck 5E.

Remove ads