D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I hate gnomes, dragonborn, tieflings. There's way too many new races, and they diminish the role of the original races.

Don't these all predate 5e?

I just did some research... The gnome first appeared in the original 1974 edition of Dungeons & Dragons! Jebus.

I'll vaguely agree. But only because I've grown lazier over the years & dislike setting DCs for things. At least the AD&D method solves that.

The task is:
easy: DC5
slightly challenging: DC 10
Challenging: DC 15
hard: DC 20
extremely difficult: DC 25
almost impossible: DC 30

Tada, done.

I do like that the bounded accuracy of 5e means I don't have to give this much further thought - this was far more complicated in 3e where skill ranks were all over the place.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I hate passive perception, just creates problems where there werent any. Also revivify, uughh, just take all of the danger out of the game completely why don't you.

I dislike (i) magic saturation (ii) easymodeness, (iii) broken feats, (iv) long rest/short class dichotomy, (v) lack of a retreat rule, (vi) concentration overnerf.

Having said all that, 5e's fun for a one off campaign. Repeated campaigns..... not so much. But then most systems suffer that criticism, and really, if you get a whole campaign out of it, it's done it's job, hasn't it.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
Exactly. Much like no music worth listening to has come out since I was in high school, no edition of D&D will ever live up to it's glory days.

Oh. I interpreted "It didn't come out in 2000" differently. I took it as meaning "I wish this is what 3e was so that I could've been playing this awesome new game instead." like, the new is way better than the old.

We apparently read it in exactly the opposite way. :uhoh:

Don't these all predate 5e?

I just did some research... The gnome first appeared in the original 1974 edition of Dungeons & Dragons! Jebus.
ROFL! He's got a long memory!

The task is:

Tada, done.

I do like that the bounded accuracy of 5e means I don't have to give this much further thought - this was far more complicated in 3e where skill ranks were all over the place.

Except of course that's not really what they mean in practice because the meaning will shift with levels, which is exactly why the 4e method was better ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
ROFL! He's got a long memory!

Except of course that's not really what they mean in practice because the meaning will shift with levels, which is exactly why the 4e method was better ;)

Except, the meaning does not in fact shift with levels. Your ability score maxes out at 20, and proficiency doesn't have a wide range, and you don't increase skills with level directly, so those static numbers remain throughout the game.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The task is:

Tada, done.

If in doubt, I use the 50/50 rule that I read in a 2e campaign creation series of dragon articles. If you think that a regular person (i.e., a commoner) should be able to succeed at the problem at least 50% of the time, then I use DC 11 (I could use DC 10 if I wanted them to have slightly higher chance of success).

Anything easy with a DC 5 I think would just become automatic, I don't think it is worth rolling at that low of a DC.

Remove ads