D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Eh. I'm not a fan of the Realms either, but I've manage to play 5e just fine in my own homebrew world. Like I've always done, since 1981, is take pieces the drop them into my own world. The campaigns have been super easy to do this with (except maybe Ravenloft). The jungle? That's a jungle island on my own world. Same with some of the towns from SKT. Etc, etc. It's super easy to ignore the FR parts of 5e.

MiraMels

Explorer
I hate that Skills being decoupled from Abilities for the purposes of ability checks isn't a core rule, but a variant one.

That's it really.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That is interesting. I cannot stand the Realms for the most part and it simply does not come up much for me. Admittedly, there is a lot I cannot use in Sword Coast AG, but all of the core books, Volo's, Xanathar's seem pretty well free of its taint--sorry to use such a negative term :) Likewise, I used some of Yawning Portal in my own world and have not given a thought to FR.

I have every book, and they're just as useful in my Eberron game, my buddy's homebrew world game, my own homebrew world game, my wife's CoS game, my alternate history Earth game, and my heavily modified FR game.

dwayne

Adventurer
concentration in spells, all skills have a passive even active ones like investigate, limited rituals, half the spells are missing, i could go on but i have played this from 1st to now and have to say I can remember as to what thing were and as to why they were. Most jumping in do not realize that as to why things are doen the way they were. before short rest, free actions, passive skills, long rest, there was once per day spell abilities, resting meant the day was over and your sleeping for the night. free actions what was that hell we did not even have lots of skills till 2nd edition, it was like the wild west in those days what the dm saiod was law. 3rd came with its massive book collection and rule after rule options (broght in part due to the 2.5 books). Any way i just home rule thaty i don't like and run from there, works fine with no multi classing and such.

Yardiff

Adventurer
I don't Hate 5e but I'm not a fan of something, these are a few....

Dex to Damage.
That small sized PC/NPCs such as halflings, gnomes, goblins, etc can reach a 20 str without magic.
No ability score minimum for classes.
Full hit point recovery on long rest.
Attunement to few.
Skills need work.

It's simpler on the back-end character creation mini-game. There are far fewer decisions before you can just start playing.

Also, on a turn-by-turn basis in combat, each character has fewer options to choose between. And what options they do have feature fewer variables and less nuance, so it's easier to make a decision.

I just don't see it as actually SIMPLER. It is more OBVIOUS, and there are less options presented, but the structure is pretty similar and there's nothing inherently simpler about the rules, for the most part. Character generation has about an equal number of choice points, there are simply less options at each one, and some of them more heavily constrain you.

I think in some cases this makes things effectively simpler (and sometimes better) but you still have to master an equal amount of mechanical 'heft' to play your character (and sometimes more due to some classes having more than one effective power subsystem).

Where it works well is in terms of making builds simple and thematically easy to achieve.

Paul Pem

First Post
as someone whos played D&D for like 20+ Years? I almost dislike/hate 5E the most, I Say almost coz honestly i would rather play/teach someone 5E then teach someone AD&D and go back to it, Dont get me wrong i still like AD&D and games that follow thouse rulesets like planescape torment Baldurs gate and such but i would never wanna teach someone that system / play style ever again

Anyways i do believe in giving D&D its chance and the past 2 years ive tryed that with 5E but ive come to the conclusion it ... just sucks for WAY to many reasons to realy list, so let me just give a quick biased reason why with a pro/con center on the top of my head

1) CON : Its got like the least customization of any RPG ive realy ever played even outside of D&D, Past level 3? K Hope for alot of homerules or such which makes you question why your even playing 5E, Or hope your a spellcaster or such.
I Mean even AD&D had a slow ass customization slot that would happen but at least it happened, 4E gave you the best via gain some type of a new thing evey single level. Loved that
2) CON : Skills prob blow the most in any D&D game yes even AD&D I think did a better job at skills
3) CON : Mid-Late game the mobs just feel Meh @ Beset, Im tierd of sitting there just hitting a HP Wall, Its like i remeber when i was level 3 hitting / attacking mobs with 16 AC now im level 9! and im still attacking things with the same AC just about just with like 10x more HPS ... Meh
4) CON : The Magic items are prob the WORST in 5E, I think 3E had the best magic item / loot system in any D&D ive played Flaming Frost Weapon? Cool Want Sonic on it as well? Just a huge elemental type sword or ANYTHING along thouse lines? You got it. 3E? Its like Meh? Not nearly as good as ... any D&D Version before it
5) PRO : I DO like how like 4E you can now deal with more then 2 Battles a day something i hated in AD&D/3E and such was pretty much how eveyone thought in a 1-2 battle a day situation, Hey look at the awesome wizard whos going to Nuke this encounter via spamming like 80+% of his resources on a single Battle! Oh whats that more then 1 battle a day / 2? Wizard / alot of characters just became useless / Run away then demanded XP later One reason why i like 4E and one reason i like 5E is the short/long rest and how you seem to be able to do more then just a single thing in a day and not get rape for doing it

just top of my head and i came up with 1 pro 4 cons to 5E compared to other D&D / RPG games ive played ... The game is just MEH @ Best if you ask me its only realy got the one thing going for it which 4E also had going for and pathfinder so ... play one of thouse 2 versions of D&D if you want that thing fix as they solve other issues/problems as well

BadBreath

First Post
No real Cons for me... some small niggles but overall packages works very well for our group. I played 2e & 4e previously.
Would love to see more Archclasses options, Psionics and looking forward to more settings fluff coming.

Dispater

Explorer
It's ok to hate stuff. As long as its a game. And generally, I really like 5e.

I hate the plethora of arcane spellcaster subclasses. I don't like the fact that anything's magic, or magic-capable. I liked that magic was more special.

I hate some of the class level abilities. They seem needless convoluted and really not very well thought out. Especially as you reach the higher (non-playtested) levels.

I hate gnomes, dragonborn, tieflings. There's way too many new races, and they diminish the role of the original races.

I hate the concept of saving throws. Why couldn't they just make that an ability check by now?

I hate ability scores. I wish they'd just go straight to a modifier instead of that useless middle mechanic.

ccs

41st lv DM
1) CON : Its got like the least customization of any RPG ive realy ever played even outside of D&D, Past level 3? K Hope for alot of homerules or such which makes you question why your even playing 5E, Or hope your a spellcaster or such.
I Mean even AD&D had a slow ass customization slot that would happen but at least it happened,

What? Are you referring to gaining additional weapon/non-weapon proficiencies?
In 5e you've got ASIs/feats every 4 lvs (unless you're a fighter) & you'll get those lvs quicker than you would in AD&D. Assuming you're not one of the players brainwashed into believing your primary stat must always be maxed out asap, or blinded to the fact that there's more than SS/GWM/etc (you know, the handful everyone goes on & on about) on the feat list, you can get a decent amount of customization going. Certainly more than in AD&D.

2) CON : Skills prob blow the most in any D&D game yes even AD&D I think did a better job at skills

I'll vaguely agree. But only because I've grown lazier over the years & dislike setting DCs for things. At least the AD&D method solves that.

5) PRO : I DO like how like 4E you can now deal with more then 2 Battles a day something i hated in AD&D/3E and such was pretty much how eveyone thought in a 1-2 battle a day situation, Hey look at the awesome wizard whos going to Nuke this encounter via spamming like 80+% of his resources on a single Battle! Oh whats that more then 1 battle a day / 2? Wizard / alot of characters just became useless / Run away then demanded XP later One reason why i like 4E and one reason i like 5E is the short/long rest and how you seem to be able to do more then just a single thing in a day and not get rape for doing it

This is a fault of the people playing the game, not the system.

Remove ads