D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Tony Vargas

Legend
especially if [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION]'s philosophy of super-strong GM force is being applied.
The super-strong GM force separated from the elctro-weak Player force in the early RPG epoch, and is most powerful within 2x10^15 femtometers of the screen.

The flipside to this, presumably, is that 5e throws back to the pre-4e game-centred philosophy of disposable characters?
Only at very low levels.

Force is a very specific phenomenon. 5e being very vulnerable to the phenomenon due to its construct and its ethos. It is the phenomenon that you're seeing [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] not just saying 5e is vulnerable to, but advocating the technique as the best/required way to run 5e.
That is a major feature in achieving 5e's DM Empowerment goal, yes, and applying a Forge label to it doesn't make that a bad thing (for 5e). 5e isn't simply a bad game asking you to paper over its flaws with 'GM Force,' it presents players with an explanation of the DM's central role in resolving all aspects of the game, and instills an expectation that the exercise of that role will be both commonplace, and for the good of the play experience, for all.

So, 'GM Force' or 'DM Empowerment,' the idea is that the success and quality of each instance the game experience (campaign/session) rests primarily with the DM, rather than the players or the system (or the designers of that system).

This is a response on @AbdulAlhazred post about how the DCs "should" guarantee success at about a 60% of the time. In fact, it's a description about 4ed made by a 4ed fan, against 5ed, which is supposedly a deadlier game (or at least a frustrating one).
Keep in mind that you're talking about a guy who started with 0D&D in the 70s, and has played every edition /through/ 4e, not just 4e: "4e fan" doesn't really do that experience justice.

But, FWIW, 60% is a pretty fair target for success, in general, as far as balancing feeling challenged with feeling competent - and 5e hits that target pretty consistently when it comes to things like attack rolls (really, more like 65-70%). Skills are all over the place, taken as a whole, but for characters actually good at a skill - good stats & proficient - pegging DCs to a similar level of success wouldn't be a bad idea. Less skillful characters'll still have a shot, and experts will be able to auto-succeed, if available.

Plus, of course, the DM can leaven any target success rate by declaring success or failures when such would improve play.

The point being made is: many of the "5 Edition SUCKS because can't do X" are utterly false. I particularly like 5th edition because of Bounded Accuracy
Bounded Accuracy is one reason you have some "can't do X" scenarios, because the game doesn't cover as wide a range of growth or as varied growth among classes as, say, 3.5 or AD&D.

But, while it may not be strictly 'false,' when considering only the range of dice results and the numbers generated by player choices to say "can't do X," once you factor in the DM's contribution, it's laughable: anything/everything becomes entirely possible!

Several critics made are, for me, gross simplifications (like the godlike, unfettered DM power)
GM power is a reality of the traditional RPG structure. While there are a (very) few games that do away with the GM role, or share it among all players, the vast majority of games have a GM, and the reality is that the situations of the in-game universe, and interpretation & modification of the rules are entirely within his power. It's true of DMs in all versions of D&D.

3.x acknowledged that power in 'Rule 0,' only to have the community go all RAW on it,
4e tried, through balance/clarity/playability, to minimize the need for the exercise of DM power.

5e acknowledges the legitimate power of the DM - and leverages it, making every effort to direct it in positive ways. 5e doesn't just tell the DM "you're god, go crazy," the DMG is full of advice for the DM on using that power constructively. And, it doesn't just tell players "you're just along for the ride," it gives them lots of choices, and prepares them for the role of the DM from the first 'how to play' explanation in the basic rules, and throughout the details of the system that follow.

For what 5e is trying to be, in the time it's trying to be it, with the history behind it, and the fan-base before it, I think 'DM Empowerment' has proven a very effective strategy.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
While I do subscribe to Czege's Principle across the majority breadth of an RPGing experience, I don't agree with it as a logically unassailable, ever-present axiom. I'm a big believer (especially as prologue) of he player authored kicker in Sorcerer and Dogs.

<snip>

If the resolution mechanics are not robust or they're subordinated by force, then what is the point? But that stands regardless of whether I, as GM, introduced the adversity or the player did.
Czege's principle is certainly not an axiom: it's meant to be an empirical generalisation that rests on understandable facts about human motivation and the experience of drama. Let's call an empirical generalisation that's grounded in that way a theoretical generalisation.

Now, as we all know, when a theoretical generalisation is confronted with contrary evidence, the first thing a defender of the generalisation does is reinterpret (ie interpret away) the evidence! So here's my go at that:

The Sorcerer-style kicker isn't really an instance of the player authoring his/her own adversity. It's true that it is more like that then (say) the player choosing that so-and-so is his/her PC's rival. In that latter case, the player chooses the antagonist but hands the antagonist over to the GM to use in scene-framing.

But in the context of the kicker, it's still the GM who decides how the kicker event is located within the broader backstory of the game, and who is responsible for adjudicating and narrating the consequences of the kicker as play unfolds.

In this way, the kicker is more like a formalised way for having the players make suggestions to the GM as to how to use his/her scene-framing authority. But it's not the player fully setting his/her own stakes.

How'd I do?

pemerton

Legend
I'm always surprised at how little my players invest in intelligence gathering. IMO spells like Augury and Divination are pure awesomesauce for preventing nasty surprises.
I ran a Rolemaster campaign, years ago now, that became so dominated by (precognitive) divination that it ended up almost derailing the game, in that practically every action declaration was preceded by a divination which attempted to predetermine what the outcomes of the action declaration would be - with the PC then going through on the divined action only if the outcome was favourable.

In our next campaign we dropped precognitive divination from the game. In the late stages of the campaign, though, powerful Time Stop effects ended up playing a similar role: the players would meticulously plan out their PCs sequences of actions, then have their PCs travel to ground zero, activate the Time Stop and unload the plan (which mostly consisted of intricate layers of spells, including meta-magic spells within the layers).

I think the presence of divination, and of planning more generally (but divination and planning travel closely together) makes a big difference to the way the game plays; and flipping that around, a game wants to think about the sort of play to be encouraged as part of deciding whether or not to include divination as a feature.

As part of the gradual drift of elements of the D&D community away from classic exploration (especially dungeon exploration), I think divination has become less central to D&D play. If you want to run an exploration and planning-heavy game, divination is certainly an aspect of the magic system worth amping up. (Though the spell ranges in classic D&D make it not worthwhile for non-dungeon exploration; in a wilderness game you'd want to expand them a bit, although wilderness gaming poses other problems for adjudicating divination, like a lack of precise knowledge of the setting on the part of the GM.)

pemerton

Legend
Celtavian said:
In 5E if the players come up with a good idea for breaching the door or whatever activity and he can find no reason not to allow it to work, the DM allows it to work. No time wasted rolling.

<snip>

Every door does not require a break DC. If the Big Bad Fighter or Barbarian is raging through a dungeon with doors he can break down, the 5E DM doesn't waste his time requiring rolls
Completely cannot understand what 5e does for me to allow this to happen in any way easier than it could in any other edition. I can hand wave and state "it works" in any game.
There's also the community to consider. In 3.x, for instance, as in any RPG, you, as GM, could change any rule you wanted, it even came right out and said so in 'Rule 0.' Yet, in spite of that, the community was very focused on RAW, and that carried through to the attitudes of many players. So you could hand-wave in 3.5, but some of your players might rebel if you did.
In Rolemaster, every roll of the dice is meant to correspond to some in-fiction event, and every in-fiction event is modelled, at least in principle, by a roll of the dice.

In addition, in RM, nearly every action check is open-ended (so no auto-fails) but has a fumble range at the bottom.

This means that handwaving success is not part of the spirit of the game; the dice need to be rolled to see if a fumble/auto-fail comes up. Nor is handwaving failure OK, because the player can always roll and hope for an open-ended result - and every RM table has the tale of when a double-open-ended roll was needed to save the party, and one of the players pulled it off!

This is a game, then, in which you can't just handwave without breaking the spirit of the game.

Contrast (say) Marvel Heroic RP, where the GM is encouraged to handwave stuff that is just colour and is not pertinent to the resolution of the conflict that is driving the scene at hand. In MHRP, not handwaving that stuff would be contrary to the spirit of the game.

4e is more like MHRP in this respect.

An interesting system that straddles the RM(simulationist)/4e-MHRP(fortune-in-the-middle) divide is Burning Wheel. DCs are objective, and skill bonuses are objective too (eg a good riding skill in BW doesn't just mean "My PC is likely to experience success in scenes involving riding" but also means "My PC is a skilled rider"). But handwaving action declarations that don't matter is a core part of the system ("Say yes or roll the dice"), which means (for instance) that bad stuff never happens when nothing is at stake, unless the players choose to make it happen (and the game has mechanics that give players incentives to do this).

I think 3E had at least aspirations to be a RM-style simulationist system, and rather than handwaving I think the system expects use of taking 10 and taking 20. So I'm not sure it's just the "cult of RAW" that explains player hostility to GM handwaving in 3E.

I think this thread is bringing out some interesting divergences as far as 5e is concerned. [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] seems pretty clearly to think that it works like 4e. I don't think [MENTION=6784868]Erechel[/MENTION] agrees. My reading of the rules leaves me uncertain what the designers had in mind - and maybe they deliberately didn't have any particular approach in mind!

the DM can leaven any target success rate by declaring success or failures when such would improve play.
I think declaring auto-fails when the mechanics (eg bonus compared to DC) leave success open as a possibility is particularly fraught, for all the obvious reasons.

a DC table that doesn't take levels into account isn't inherently flawed or backwards or useless or that it must lead to bad play where the PC's can't pass by some DC that is too hard for them or any of the other things AA seemed to presume must happen because 5e doesn't set DC's relative to level, and that setting DC's relative to level isn't clearly a better or more advanced or improved option.
I don't think [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] was saying that 5e's DCs lead to bad play. I think he was saying that, for him as a GM they are not helpful, because he can't tell at a glance what the effect on pacing and degree of challenge will be if he sets a DC for a given PC or party at X rather than Y.

Another way of stating the complaint is that 5e DCs don't come with a challenge rating or encounter level attached. (Whereas 4e's do.)

If you don't think that challenge ratings/encounter levels are helpful or necessary, then presumably this won't bother you!

As false I see things like the comment about the more "narrative" approach of 4th Edition.
It seems to me that either 5e is the same as (or similar to) 4e, or it's not. I don't think it can be both at once.

One feature of 4e is that it defines game elements (traps, monsters, environmental features, obstacles involving DCs, etc) in level-relative terms. The express purpose of this is to support their use by the GM in making decisions about challenge level and pacing.

Whether or not you want to call this a "narrative" approach, it is a point in respect of which 4e resembles HeroWars/Quest and Marvel Heroic RP, and a point in respect of which it differs from Rolemaster, Runequest and (in my view, at least) Burning Wheel.

If it's a feature that you find helpful in a system, the lack of it in 5e - the fact that DCs aren't given a challenge rating or encounter level - will be a mark against the game. (Or it could be more complex: you might think that a game that lacks such features should have robust "fail forward" rules instead, as Burning Wheel does, and feel that 5e isn't so strong in this respect. I'm sure there are other possibilities too.)

Whether or not you think it's a bad thing, it's a clear difference from 4e!

level-relative DC's can create a feeling of impotence in a player when they know that their achievements and experience don't actually affect the chance of victory very much, and world-relative DC's can by the same token create a feeling of mastery and achievement in a player when they know that they're taking on much harder challenges than they "should."

<snip>

I know I've felt more than once that 4e is largely a "level-less" game for all its 30 levels (of which I played about 18). And 5e, over the course of 7, is already showing me that setting the DC's relative to the world is a part of the edition's strong antidote to that. In 4e, I always felt at about the same level of badass ("fairly"). In 5e, I've felt the growth that comes from a tier-shift in a way 4e never achieved (going from "not very badass" to "a little badass!"), and in a way is a little more subtle and interesting than bigger numbers.
Overcoming obstacles and dramatic tension are presumably two of the keystones behind why many of us play RPGs

<snip>

I think the art of delivering meaty obstacles and drama are completely tried to the ability of the GM and in no way tied to the ruleset (Hm, maybe that's not completely accurate - perhaps mechanics like the Doom Pool in MHRPG actually DO help deliver meaty obstacles and drama).
4e is largely level-less, yes.

PC progression in 4e plays two roles, as best I can tell.

One is that it opens up new mechanical space (eg now I can dominate! now I can fly! etc). The other - not unrelated - is that level gain opens up new fictional possibilities. This is summarised in the PHB descriptions of Heroic, Paragon and Epic tier. It is given concrete meaning, too, in the Monster Manuals, which locate the various classic D&D antagonists at levels which the designers intend will fit within the "story of D&D". So you start with kobolds, graduate to gnolls, then trolls and giants and serious dragons, and end up fighting demon princes.

The relation between these two aspects of progression is that being able to dominate, or fly, or whatever, corresponds to a character having a certain status and capability within the fiction.

The actual maths of the game, though, is not meant to change significantly in the way that the mechanical minutiae and the fiction change in these ways. (When 4e players think they have discerned such changes in the maths, they decry it as errors in the maths, and get "fixes" like the Expertise feats.)

Pleasure in PC progression in 4e, then, has to come from these two sources. The game certainly takes for granted that mechanical intricacy, and changing mechanical intricacy (daze vs stun vs dominate, shift vs slide vs teleport, etc), is fun for the players - if it's not fun for you, I don't unreservedly recommend 4e because it's hard to get away from this sort of minutiae in that particular system.

But I think the change in the fiction is meant to be more important. A player knows, and feels, that his/her PC is becoming more "badass" not because the numbers are changing, nor because success comes more often, but because the challenges confronted and (hopefully for the player) overcome are different.

If the GM doesn't succeed in making the fiction engaging in this way, I imagine the game might fall pretty flat. Whether "objective" DCs will cure that I suspect is also pretty GM-dependent, though. And player dependent, too: after all, there is a real difference between "I couldn't overcome that door before, because it was DC 25 and my bonus was +4, but now I can because my bonus has grown to +8!" and "I couldn't overcome that door before because a lowly street thief can't hope to infiltrate the Overtemple of Vecna, but now that I'm a Master Thief I have a chance!", but I think different sorts of explanation (mechanically grounded or fictionally grounded) speak to different players (or perhaps to the same player in different moods).

4e tried, through balance/clarity/playability, to minimize the need for the exercise of DM power.
I think 4e gave the GM very important roles. From the PHB, p 8:

Adventure Builder: The DM creates adventures (or selects premade adventures) for you and the other players to play through.

Narrator: The DM sets the pace of the story and presents the various challenges and encounters the players must overcome.

Monster Controller: The Dungeon Master controls the monsters and villains the player characters battle against, choosing their actions and rolling dice for their attacks.

Referee: When it’s not clear what ought to happen next, the DM decides how to apply the rules and adjudicate the story.​

The first of these allocates the GM authority over very important elements of backstory. The second then links that backstory authority to authority in respect of scene-framing. (Which connects back to the Czege principle.)

The third role is somewhat distinct to D&D (and comparable systems), because of its very granular combat resolution system. (There is no real analogue to the third role in a skill challenge, for instance.) In general terms, though, it's a particular element of scene-framing authority, reframing the scene on a round-by-round basis.

The fourth role is the only one directly connected to action resolution. It gives the GM responsibility for adjudicating resolution, and adjudicating the fiction more generally, when the content of the fiction is not self-evident. (This can also be seen as an application of the Czege principle.)

The 4e GM also have an important role in adjudicating fiction relevant to applying the action resolution mechanics (as opposed to narrating the fiction that results from their application), although this is not stated in the PHB but rather in the DMG in relation to skill challenges (p 79 makes it clear that the GM is the arbiter of what action declarations are permissible, given the current state of the fiction) and in relation to pacing (p 105, for instance, encourages handwaving action declarations that aren't core - an apparent application of "say yes or roll the dice").

It seems to me that when you itemise it like this, then as far as actually running a game goes the only additional power of a 5e GM that has been identified in this thread is the power to declare auto-failure despite what the mechanics would otherwise imply.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Why does the DM's imagination trump everyone else's? Aren't we all playing a game together? What if I use a spell/ability creatively and it, by the rules, takes out the BBEG in one round, only for the DM to say, "That's anti-climatic, BBEG stays up." It's 'better' because he says so?

What if the DM isn't as imaginative as the rest of the players...his imagination still trumps everything else? Really??

A DM's imagination trumps everyone else's because he's running the game and putting the most work in designing the adventure. If you want to play alone, you can. Roll the dice, tell yourself the story, have no DM, and you decide everything. I've seen a few players do this. If you want someone else to do the work to run your character, then his imagination decides the game. It's the courtesy you give the DM because of the work the DM is putting in to the game, which usually exceeds everyone else's investment at the table.

So many players don't seem to get how thankless a job DMing is. How the sole pleasure of doing it is the creative process of building a story or encounters. Players want the DM to allow them to live this vicarious fantasy of being a successful adventuring hero. A DM will put hours into this activity spending money on modules, game books, and his time to create this fantasy. That's why he gets final say in a lot of matters.

What motivation is there for a person to commit to running the game if not the creativity of it? People that like to DM a lot enjoy the creative part of DMing. I don't mean just the story fluff, though that is a major part for many. But the encounter creation and the entire process that goes into building an adventure to challenge the PCs. It's a lot of work to DM. That work should be respected. It should be acknowledged as far more difficult than playing a character.

That being said, good DMs reward imaginative play. Part of my fun as a DM is thinking up interesting challenges and scenarios for players and seeing what they come up with to win or solve them. If they come up with something outside the box, I reward that play. I like players that use imaginative strategies outside the scope of standard rules to set achieve victory. That's when the game gets really fun and reaches beyond what any video game could possibly accomplish. It is the imagination of the DM and players that makes a TTRPG different from a video game experience.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Completely cannot understand what 5e does for me to allow this to happen in any way easier than it could in any other edition. I can hand wave and state "it works" in any game.

And you can construct a DC system that works a percentage of the time in any game. All DC means is difficulty check. It's just a roll with a number based on some other numerical value in the game. Nothing in any system prevents you from using this type of resolution system in any game system.

That's why I think most of these arguments boil down to, "I don't like 5E. I like this edition." Nothing is preventing anyone from taking an idea like Skill Challenges and finding a way to transfer them to 5E.

The only difference with 5E is they specifically tell you to hand-wave anything that isn't important. They don't want you to waste time rolling to accomplish something unimportant. They don't want you to roll every round for some skill. They don't want you wasting time with DC checks for no reason. That is the only difference in 5E.

Whereas 3E gave a roll for anything from the door to the farmer's house to the castle gates, 5E does not bother. I'm not sure what 4E did. I know that 5E tells the DM to hand-wave unimportant rolls and only use the DC system for things you want to make interesting. It provides you with a system you can use in any fashion you wish be it 4E skill challenges, 3E single rolls, or something else of your own devising. They encouraged you to create such challenges in whatever manner seems appropriate to you with some examples they came up with. I don't see why some are finding that limiting.

I think it is fun to dream up your own method of resolution. Why some consider that a weakness of 5E I don't understand. Why do they need things spelled out for them? If you have an important event you want resolved using non-combat skills or elements, dream it up, write it up, play it out. All easy to accomplish in 5E.

Eric V

Hero
Q: What if I use a spell/ability creatively and it, by the rules, takes out the BBEG in one round, only for the DM to say, "That's anti-climatic, BBEG stays up." It's 'better' because he says so?

A: In that example, the DM undercuts himself by explaining his reasoning, but, in general, yes, that's the idea. The system failed (snapped under the strain of your system mastery), but the DM corrected that failure.

Wow...how many people here would genuinely enjoy playing (Note: not DMing) in a game like this?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
Q: What if I use a spell/ability creatively and it, by the rules, takes out the BBEG in one round, only for the DM to say, "That's anti-climatic, BBEG stays up." It's 'better' because he says so?

A: In that example, the DM undercuts himself by explaining his reasoning, but, in general, yes, that's the idea. The system failed (snapped under the strain of your system mastery), but the DM corrected that failure.

Wow...how many people here would genuinely enjoy playing (Note: not DMing) in a game like this?

Depends on how good everything else has been. You make it seem like this event would happen all the time. Why would any DM allow such an event to happen all the time? Give me a reason why this would continuously occur? Are you implying you would play with a DM so lacking in ability that he would decide matters in this fashion all the time? What is the point of your example?

It seems like you're using an extreme, unrealistic example to make some kind of point. What is that point?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
This is my interpretation of 4e as well, and in fact the reason for the scaling DCs and typical 50-60% chance of success (or whatever it is).

4e made the choice to only use game "spotlight" and rolling dice on challenges that had decent chance of success and failure.

The DM is suppose to look to the fiction and just narrate (or skip) trivial obstacles and just outright block impossible ones. When it is a decent challenge for the party, you pull out the dice. The DM has a lot of flexibility on what constitutes a 'decent challenge' depending on genre/tone of the game your playing.

This was the source of all the "at high level every house suddenly has adamantine doors on it now!" silliness. Of course in most games they don't. Most houses have regular doors that are trivial to get through for your high level PCs. No rolling needed. However, IF the DM decides that a door actually is a challenge (because of material, warded, etc.) then you can pick an appropriate DC that reflects that.

I think this approach actually lends itself to MORE verisimilitude, not less.

Exactly correct. And 5e does this same thing.

Eric V

Hero
A DM's imagination trumps everyone else's because he's running the game and putting the most work in designing the adventure.

No offense, but this is a horrible reason. I'm saying this as a DM for decades who has only recently convinced his group to become a rotating-DM group

So many players don't seem to get how thankless a job DMing is. How the sole pleasure of doing it is the creative process of building a story or encounters. Players want the DM to allow them to live this vicarious fantasy of being a successful adventuring hero. A DM will put hours into this activity spending money on modules, game books, and his time to create this fantasy. That's why he gets final say in a lot of matters.

Again, going to disagree here. It's not thankless; why would one do it, if that were so? I would agree that the "pleasure of doing it is the creative process of building a story or encounters" but not to the point where only a limited number of DM-imagined outcomes is permissible. For many DMs, the work is the reward; it's extremely poor form to trump the other players' imagination "because I'm the DM and this is how I want it."

What motivation is there for a person to commit to running the game if not the creativity of it? People that like to DM a lot enjoy the creative part of DMing. I don't mean just the story fluff, though that is a major part for many. But the encounter creation and the entire process that goes into building an adventure to challenge the PCs. It's a lot of work to DM. That work should be respected. It should be acknowledged as far more difficult than playing a character.
All true. But nowhere in here is there cause for DM fiat to change things to "match something I think is more palatable" when the player does something according to the rules of the game.

If DMs use fiat that way, they are like the kid who had the best G.I. Joe collection but overruled any interaction during play he didn't like based on the fact that the figures were his.

DMs already have plenty of responsibilities, as [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] outlined above: Adventure Builder (already enough work, thank you), Narrator, Monster Controller, and Referee.

For myself, I wish WotC understood the first 3 are more than enough work, thank you; after doing all that, I don't also need to adjudicate things that could simply have been written more clearly. As [MENTION=5834]Celtavian[/MENTION] points out above, it's enough work already.

Remove ads