D&D 5E Why does 5E SUCK?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would say feeble amount of spells known and one measly spell per level for 6th through 9th. No way any of those spells are powerful enough to justify only having one of them per level

I find the magazine page count, combined with the number of species of oranges, tangerines, tangelos, and the remaining variety of such, to be lacking with respect to flavor variety as well. I was also disappointed in the health of the broccoli stems, and the basket weaving they were contained within.

That's what you were referring to as well, right?

RobertBrus

Explorer
Mistwell, while I agree with you on the oranges, tangerines, etc. I think the broccoli stems were quite adequate. Thou the basket weaving could have been somewhat more tightly woven.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
???

What in the world is this a comment on? And no, I will not be combing through 156 pages of posts to find it. Shame on you for even tempting me to do so!

I find the magazine page count, combined with the number of species of oranges, tangerines, tangelos, and the remaining variety of such, to be lacking with respect to flavor variety as well. I was also disappointed in the health of the broccoli stems, and the basket weaving they were contained within.

That's what you were referring to as well, right?

Um, thread title?

schnee

First Post
I HATE how they introduced traps in the DMG.

'They can be anywhere, for any reason, and have any effect!!!!1'

Bad advice. They should be rare, thematic, have sensible reasons for being there, of appropriate effect for the type and danger of the villain, should be foreshadowed in a sensible way, and should fall into several types. This should have been followed with explanations on how those affect the game and advice when to avoid them.

In other words, it needed better DM guidance than what was provided.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Um, thread title?

You think 5e handled tangelos well?

You're dead to me. Dead I say!

(And yes, his comment has something to do with a complaint about 5e, but as his complaint lacks crucial information like...what class he's referring to for instance...it's sort of hard to comprehend what the heck his complaint is actually about. It could be about literally any spell-casting class, but seems specific to just one of them, or perhaps even one subclass of one of them. Or maybe he means all spellcasting classes. Or all full casters. Or Jello).

CapnZapp

Legend
Not that I agree with him, but what about his complaint was hard to follow?

5e casters get significantly fewer spell slots than in, say, d20. (4e is just different)

That's what he doesn't like.

We're talking full casters here (wizards, clerics).

But never mind that.

Let's instead discuss the topic: Personally I don't agree with the argument "high level spells are not powerful enough to warrant so few slots". Save DC auto increase. Magic items and scrolls. No, casters gain plenty of slots (assuming default treasure, or as published in official modules), just not ridiculously many.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Tony Vargas

Legend
Not that I agree with him, but what about his complaint was hard to follow?

5e casters get significantly fewer spell slots than in, say, d20. (4e is just different)
5e casters get fewer slots than even a Wizard (let alone a Sorcerer) in 3.x, mainly due to not getting bonus slots for high caster stat, and, at high level, to getting fewer 6th+ level slots. But, aside from that, they still don't start with 1 slot at 1st level like a 1e magic-user, and, while they may not get as many slots at every level, they do get to cast them spontaneously, and are not subject to losing slots when interrupted, so they don't /waste/ as many slots as TSR-era casters tended to.

(of course, 4e had far fewer slots than other eds, but it made up for it with at-wills and short-rest-recharge slots, in addition to the handful of daily slots - 5e gives casters as many or more at-will attack cantrips as 4e, some short-rest-recharge slot mechanics, and daily slots more in keeping with earlier eds.)

Given all that, 5e is arguably the best of all possible editions for casters, overall.

Let's instead discuss the topic: Personally I don't agree with the argument "high level spells are not powerful enough to warrant so few slots". Save DC auto increase. Magic items and scrolls. No, casters gain plenty of slots (assuming default treasure, or as published in official modules), just not ridiculously many.
Agreed. Heck, with saves scaling with character level, it could be argued that low-level spells are potentially too powerful to warrant so many slots... ;)

jgsugden

Legend
...In other words, it needed better DM guidance than what was provided.
OK. People without imaginations should not be the DM.
...his comment has something to do with a complaint about 5e, but as his complaint lacks crucial information like...what class he's referring to for instance...it's sort of hard to comprehend what the heck his complaint is actually about. It could be about literally any spell-casting class, but seems specific to just one of them, or perhaps even one subclass of one of them. Or maybe he means all spellcasting classes. Or all full casters. Or Jello).
I thought he meant one class at first, but on reflection I think he meant all spellcasting classes.

Regardless, everyone knows the true answer to this question is the Sphere of Annihilation.

Lost Soul

First Post
???

What in the world is this a comment on? And no, I will not be combing through 156 pages of posts to find it. Shame on you for even tempting me to do so!

Umm.. the comment is based upon why does 5E suck. Casters spells known is pathetic. Sorcerers know 15 spells. That is not even two spells per spell level. Its a joke. High level spells are not worth their once per day weight as a daily power. They have been completely nerfed compared to high level spells in any previous edition, with the possible exception of 4rth and that is because 4E is a completely different animal so comparisons there are not fair. I did not know that I had to reference a previous post in this thread to make a complaint about 5E.

Remove ads