D&D General Why does D&D still have 16th to 20th level?

Reynard

Legend
lol or just tweak the rules and move on like people have been doing since 1971
Well, except in "1971" (I assume you must have been playing in the Twin Cities) the rules actually did change and with the game as levels increased, so I don't have the first clue what your point is.

Reynard

Legend
Only those who were unhappy/unsuccessful doing what they were doing in the first place.
Yeah, I think you are arguing just to argue. If you want to actually discuss the late/high level game from differing perspectives, that's awesome. I'm game. But I don't think you want to based on that response. Have a nice day!

Yeah, I think you are arguing just to argue. If you want to actually discuss the late/high level game from differing perspectives, that's awesome. I'm game. But I don't think you want to based on that response. Have a nice day!
I know my players wanted to carry on adventuring. They did not want to go into management, which is the sort of thing they do in real life and play D&D to get away from.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I know my players wanted to carry on adventuring. They did not want to go into management, which is the sort of thing they do in real life and play D&D to get away from.
So start a new campaign then. If the game ended adventuring at 10-11 (with the occasional exception) we wouldn't have these issues.

Reynard

Legend
That is a much different and much more relevant answer than the one you gave to which i responded. If high level play isn't a slog for you, then obviously you don't need to change what you do. But if it is a slog, or boring, or irrelevant, then that's what my recommendation was addressing.

Reynard

Legend
So start a new campaign then. If the game ended adventuring at 10-11 (with the occasional exception) we wouldn't have these issues.
IF folks are happy doing dungeons at 18th level, then they should continue doing so and the game should enable it. But there should absolutely be other kinds of play available at "name level" where the game as played at 5th level starts to break down.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
IF folks are happy doing dungeons at 18th level, then they should continue doing so and the game should enable it. But there should absolutely be other kinds of play available at "name level" where the game as played at 5th level starts to break down.
See i read the message you responded to as, "my players want to keep adventuring, but the game does a poor job of supporting me in that past a certain level".

Remove ads