• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why doesn't WotC license older editions?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
I'd love it if WotC continued to support 3rd edition, but it's totally unrealistic and unreasonable to expect them to. That doesn't make them an evil company - it makes them competent.

As to citing the fact that TSR used to print 1st and 2nd edition simultaneously or that they had the basic D&D game going on at the same time, it boggles my mind that people would hold up anything TSR did as good business. Sure, the company didn't fall apart completely until the 1997, but bad business managment had defined TSR since at least the mid-80s. If anything, I would argue that their business strategies probably kept the game from being an even bigger hit that it was during the 80s.

Regarding the analogies to the record companies, car companies, et cetera, that's comparing apples to atom bombs. The fact is, there is no example in the RPG industry or related industries of a company simultaneously supporting multiple editions and pulling it off with any sort of business success. To expect WotC to support a dead edition for a game or to hand someone else their intellectual property and empower them as a direct competitor is unrealistic at best.

Finally, I don't see the point in longing for an official license from WotC when many dead editions currently have support in some form thanks to the OGL. BECMI has Labyrinth Lord, 1st edition has OSRIC, and 3rd edition has Pathfinder (albeit modified and updated). That's more support than any old edition of any RPG has ever received right there.

Aus_Snow

First Post
i'm still waiting for OD&D(1974) products to enter the market again.

nothing new since 1979. :(
Would a supplement or other product for Swords & Wizardry (the OD&D clone) suffice?

I'm guessing no, but. . . it's a tad more likely to actually happen, is all. :erm:

Korgoth

First Post

Have you checked out Ruins of Ramat from Brave Halfling Publishing?

The print copy is $5 including shipping, and comes with the PDF version. It is digest size like the original books.

And have you checked out Geoff McKinney's Supplement V: Carcosa?

There are new products coming out.

RFisher

Explorer
Look to the simplest answer.

Competition.

You don't want older editions competing with your current flagship.

I don’t believe anyone at Wizards actually thinks licensed AD&D or classic D&D products would have a noticeable affect on 4e sales.

So the question becomes, are there D&D fans out there willing to help WotC re-layout older edition books without being paid for it?

They have been offered fan-created PDFs of the 1981 Basic and Expert sets. The fan in question asked for no credit or compensation. He just wanted to see that hole in their PDF line-up filled.

Seeing what the fans have produced—the Dragonfoot products, OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Fight On, etc.—I have no doubt there are people willing to volunteer their time.

But the original poster was really asking about licensing third parties to create new material compatible with the older editions.

The licensing fees generated by any RPG (or setting) that isn't the current edition of D&D just can't come close to the revenue needed to justify the effort of handling its approvals. So unless there's a strong strategic imperative, the licensor can spend its time in more productive ways.

I completely understand this. Licensing (the old fashioned way—not the copyleftish ways) is a hassle all around and generally not worth it for anyone involved. There has to be really good reasons to justify it.

I don’t know anything about the current GSL strategy.

The thing I can’t really understand is why they were willing to put 3e out under the OGL but none of the earlier editions.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Find some new players to game with, ones completely unfamiliar with OD&D, and run a campaign for them.

Then there will be something new since 1979...new players!

Of course, you might have to deal with:

"OMG! This game is older than me!"

"LOL!"

"I know!"

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I just wish they'd finish filling in some of the gaps in the PDF lineup. I'd like to be able to get GAZ10 The Orcs of Thar without shelling out $40+ for it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The thing I can’t really understand is why they were willing to put 3e out under the OGL but none of the earlier editions.

Turn the question around - why should they have done so?

With 3e, they had a hope that sales of 3rd party products would help drive sales of their core books. They had a specific reason to try the OGL.

They were no longer producing core books for the earlier editions. So putting them out under the OGL would not get them any sales, or any revenue whatsoever. Why should they go through the trouble? They had nothing at all to gain.

diaglo

Adventurer
Find some new players to game with, ones completely unfamiliar with OD&D, and run a campaign for them.

Then there will be something new since 1979...new players!

Of course, you might have to deal with:

"OMG! This game is older than me!"

"LOL!"

"I know!"

true dat.
i have been creating new players since 1979. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads