D&D 5E Why everyone think that Battlemaster is better than Samurai?

It's not just balance.

Samurai is a one note wonder. They have one worthwhile thing - use Fighting Spirit and go nova with action surge.

Battlemaster gets some real choices to respond to situations.

delph

Explorer
It's not just balance.

Samurai is a one note wonder. They have one worthwhile thing - use Fighting Spirit and go nova with action surge.

yes, I was thinking about samurai because we have 1 or 2 battles per day, and it suit for fighting spirit more than shortresting manouvers, but I wanna be defending fighter and sometimes I need to do more than "kill them all" attacks.

I really like the idea behind the Purple Dragon Knight level 3 and level 10 class features.

I don't think their enough, but I'm tempted to just roll them into the core Fighter class to give the class a bit more of a distinct feel.

It's not just balance.

Yup. I have a Samurai in one of my groups and he loves that because he gets these rounds where he is utterly monstrous, which he enjoys and people remember but he also has a lot of just rolling attacks because he doesn't have anything clever to do. He's happy because it works for him and the other Samurai bonuses work well with his PC (rolled stats, decent WIS and CHA), but as DM there I can see a BM would be more of a menace. I do think Samurai is acceptably close to BM in player-apparent performance though.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I've had a samurai build in the back of my mind for a while that I haven't gotten to try yet that I think would be pretty competitive. If you take the Elven Accuracy feat at level 4 you now have a way to guarantee you will be able to use it 3 times per day with fighting spirit.

You can then take Sharpshooter at level 6 and can should be able to fairly reliably use the -5/+10 mode when you use fighting spirit. With action surge on the turn you use fighting spirit you have a very impressive nova.

I've had a samurai build in the back of my mind for a while that I haven't gotten to try yet that I think would be pretty competitive. If you take the Elven Accuracy feat at level 4 you now have a way to guarantee you will be able to use it 3 times per day with fighting spirit.

You can then take Sharpshooter at level 6 and can should be able to fairly reliably use the -5/+10 mode when you use fighting spirit. With action surge on the turn you use fighting spirit you have a very impressive nova.

I like this. Elf with a Daikyu (longbow in 5E terms) in o-yoroi (splintmail?) seems like a great fit for even a very literal samurai. I know even without Elven Accuracy the samurai in my game gets good use out of Power Attack (or whatever its called now) with it.

delph

Explorer

or Great weapon mastery - same -5/+10 mode

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
or Great weapon mastery - same -5/+10 mode
While the UA version of Elven Accuracy did trigger whenever you had advantage the Xanathar's version only triggers when you have advantage on an attack roll that uses dexterity, intelligence, wisdom or charisma. Because Xanathar's is "more official" I would assume most tables would defer to that version.

So with that I'm actually not sure if it is possible to use Elven Accuracy with Great Weapon Master. My first instinct was a level 1 dip in hexblade warlock but when I looked it up it requires that the weapon isn't two handed and there currently aren't any heavy, non-two handed melee weapons.

delph

Explorer
While the UA version of Elven Accuracy did trigger whenever you had advantage the Xanathar's version only triggers when you have advantage on an attack roll that uses dexterity, intelligence, wisdom or charisma. Because Xanathar's is "more official" I would assume most tables would defer to that version.

So with that I'm actually not sure if it is possible to use Elven Accuracy with Great Weapon Master. My first instinct was a level 1 dip in hexblade warlock but when I looked it up it requires that the weapon isn't two handed and there currently aren't any heavy, non-two handed melee weapons.
good point

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases