D&D General Why Exploration Is the Worst Pillar

Faolyn

(she/her)
I agree with what Chaosmancer said earlier. Why would the PCs being do those things rather than the professional sailors?
Depending on the circumstances: Because the PCs are equipped to handle the issues and the sailors aren't (or the PCs are just better at handling the issues, because of higher stats, magic, whatever). Because the players want something to do and messing around on a boat is cool. Because one of the stipulations for getting passage on the boat is that the PCs help out. Because the PCs are spending downtime working towards getting proficiency in water vehicles, navigator's tools, or something else like that.

Again, I like the mechanical set-up of the ship at storm for the most part, skill challenges do seem to be the way to go, and I like the end goal, it is just that the narrative of this particular version seems counterintuitive.
Well, it was my intention to demonstrate my methods. I'm glad you found it interesting.

I agree with what Chaosmancer said earlier. Why would the PCs being do those things rather than the professional sailors?
Why would the PCs meekly accept their fate when their lives and gear are on the line?

But, hey, I could certainly have chose a poor example.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, that's where it gets really sticky. For the time periods we're talking about, they didn't generally sail at night. Number one, unless it's a clear night, it's very difficult to navigate. Two, it's just too dangerous. You really didn't want to sail more than a few miles from some shore, just in case. It's the same reason that airplanes don't fly over open ocean if they can possibly avoid it.
Close to shore, I get this. Deep-sea voyaging e.g. exploration voyages to North America in the 1500s really had no choice but keep going.
Again, a three shift sailing ship is pretty anachronistic. But, yes, I do agree that the Sea Ghost was designed by someone who looked at a book probably didn't have the actual dimensions of a cog, and decided that 100 feet was a good idea.
Nitpick: it's 90 feet, which is still kinda crazy. I'm running the module right now. :)
That thing would be immense by the standards of the day. Now, sure, you have ships like the Mary Rose, but, again, this is the Ferrari of the day. Extremely expensive to build. And, very much not a ship for shipping.
The Santa Rosa et al (Columbus' ships) predated the Mary Rose by 50+ years, were multi-masted, and carried a decent payload. They were the norm for long-haul voyaging in that era.
Now, if we want big assed ships of the time, we should be looking at the Chinese. They were MILES ahead of the Europeans when it came to ship building at the time. Far better designed, built and FAR bigger than anything the Europeans could launch. Safer too - internal bulkheads. But, D&D always seems to default to Age of Sail ships for the game, despite them being centuries more advanced than anything else in the game.
Two likely reasons for this:

1 - the rest of D&D defaults to European and the ships just followed along
2 - most of us are more familiar with age-of-sail ship design than with Chinese ship design.

That said, you're quite right; and you've just unintentionally validated something I did in my setting - the faux-Chinese (along with a small nation of Hobbits!) are the best mariners on the large ocean their empire abuts, for better (trade, navy) or worse (pirates).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Sure, but like I said, just following orders isn't something that the PCs tend to do.
And right there maybe you've stumbled onto the real challenge presented by the storm - the PCs have to learn how to follow orders rather than give them! :)
Additionally, depending on the emergency situation (I've never been on a sailing boat in the middle of a vicious storm) the time it took them to point out that rope, "that one!" is time that could have led to another disaster. It is likely time that they don't have.
Storms tend to last for hours, not minutes. This isn't Hollywood, and thirty seconds one way or the other won't often matter provided the ongoing result is useful e.g. in this case if the PC tautens the rope and holds it as instructed.

Hussar

Legend
The Santa Rosa et al (Columbus' ships) predated the Mary Rose by 50+ years, were multi-masted, and carried a decent payload. They were the norm for long-haul voyaging in that era.
Well, the Santa Maria was only 62 feet long. And, it was a carrack, not a cog. That would be pretty cutting edge technology in a D&D world. Crew of 40 though. But, let's be honest, it wasn't like many ships were making that journey before Columbus. :D

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, it's kinda sad when I - with only passing knowledge of various types of old ships but maybe enough to get by - can take one look at a ship in a module and think "What the hell were the authors smoking?".
Heh, I'm certainly no expert. I just like the idea of running nautical campaigns, and have for quite a while, so I've sort of done a bit of digging. And, yup, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :p

thirdkingdom

Hero
Publisher
Well, the Santa Maria was only 62 feet long. And, it was a carrack, not a cog. That would be pretty cutting edge technology in a D&D world. Crew of 40 though. But, let's be honest, it wasn't like many ships were making that journey before Columbus. :D

I crewed on a 52' tall ship in the late 90s for a bit. Crew of . . . six, I think? I can't imagine squeezing that many people, plus the supplies they would have needed, into a vessel only 10' longer. The Santa Maria did have multiple decks, of course, but still.

Oofta

Legend
When it comes to scale of ships in D&D, I agree it's not particularly realistic. For the most part it's not done for historical accuracy but to give you options for fights on board ship. That, and the ships are based on Hollywood depictions, not reality.

Remove ads