D&D General Why Exploration Is the Worst Pillar

I've always found Exploration difficult to pull off. It feels a lot like scene-setting and, because of the way 5e deals with healing, it's difficult to make 'obstacles' meaningful. (you fall off a cliff, take damage. Long rest, you're cured).

But, recently, I've been playing Descent into Averness and the DM is doing a superb job of making exploration intense and meaningful. Apparently, he's using the 5e One Ring rules?

Our exploration into the fallen city of Elturel goes something like this:

DM: So, you have a mission at the graveyard and must descend from the escarpment fortress into the city. What route are you taking? How are you proceeding (directly, stealthily, main thoroughfares? etc..)

We describe our goals and our route. Based on that, we make rolls. Example: Perception for the Lookout, Stealth for the Scout(if we're trying to be inconspicuous) and some kind of skill check to Navigate (especially if we are trying to take back alleyways and circuitous routes.) This could be a History check ("I used to live here") or a Survival Check (Looking for safe ways and keeping to a consistent direction)

Depending on how we do, we can have partial or full success or complete failure. Failed stealth check means we spotted the horde of zombies blocking our way, but sadly, they've seen us. A failed navigation check could be we get turned around and take longer and darkness falls, or the people we're running from catch up. Etc..

Spells and resources make checks easier or auto-succeed. (featherfalling down the cliff allows us to bypass a blockade along the road so no need for a stealth check)

Encounters from checks (failed or successful) add interesting story bits, failures create tension and force the group to push quicker than we are comfortable or, sometimes, lead to combat and drain precious resources.

He's made it so that every foray into the more dangerous parts of the city is harrowing.
Those are the travel rules presented in the DMG.
Seriously people, you should give the DMG a chance...

You don't have to take my word for it, just go read PHB p181 through 183 and DMG p106
i mean. Maybe I’m describing it similarly to the rules of the dmg but I don’t think my dm is lying to me. So…maybe you should take my word for it instead of insisting that you know the rules my dm is using based on a second hand description from one of his players…

Vyshan

Villager
Guess my characters belong in ryuutama more than D&D.

For example I play a cheerful air genasi who is a warlock 10 / rogue 1 with the criminal background, their patron being The Genie. They are a thief / cat burglar who is built for and equipped with many ways to travel and sneaking, as she can fly or swim or climb or run or even phase through walls or just hide in her lamp while her imp familiar carries her. I explain this as my characters generally shines in the exploration part of D&D and only through personality really on the rp part with some occasional rolls.

For combat at best she has an eldritch blast, but no invocations to make it more powerful. Although with last session my character was practically powerless before a beholder as my magic was useless and I might as well have been a level 11 commoner. So me, being the only person who picked up deep speech at character creation, had been chatting up this beholder and trying to convince it that I would make a fine servant and excellent thief for their empire. Since I hadn't attacked the beholder or their henchmen like my party had, I was free to walk up to the beholder and actually rp chat with it more even being able to turn its gaze away from the party during combat so the other casters could do stuff like heal the barbarian.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I think the Exploration Pillar covers a lot more than is usually granted.

For example: navigating a dungeon, searching for treasure, and managing traps are all navigation. They also offer opportunities for characters to be good at their skills and tools, like Perception and Thieve's Tools.

For the overland travel side of Exploration, I long ago gave up on trying to implement a cost. The truth is, between Utility Magic, Goodberry, and outdoor backgrounds, the characters are usually going to find ways to be rested and fed.

Instead, I try to add opportunities in overland travel to gain rewards: treasure, knowledge, allies, etc.

If a DM switches Random Encounters from "a chance to lose HP" to "a chance to get more treasure," I think players will enjoy them a lot more!

Remove ads