Why I'm not boycotting the movie, video games, comic books or novels over the OGL scandal, just D&DB & hardcovers.

Yes, they said they'll remove some odious conditions from the new OGL, but they were silent on other big questions. They absolutely have not killed it off entirely, as they indicated in their announcement a couple days ago:

"It is coming." And so it's still possible that there will be bad news, including the status of future OGL1.0 materials, which was one of the things they were silent on and that happens to be important to me.

Give it time, pressuring is coming from multiple directions. It's not coming, at least not in any form that isn't neutered, I don't care what they say, I care what they do and I care about the surrounding context, they are losing, they are trying to save face, that is all this is at this point.

D&D Beyond cancellations and other issues are increasing, WotC is in open revolt at this point, they can't win.

It's already over, they just don't want admit it to themselves.

MarkB

Legend
I disagree, the Forgotten Realms has never been covered by the OGL, same with Eberron, DL, Ravenloft, Exandria, Spelljammer, Planescape, Theros, or Ravnica, even stuff like Radiant Citadel isn't, so Paramount doesn't care about the OGL, neither does Larian Studios, the new OGL is entirely about One D&D and D&D Beyond for different reasons. This was never about the multimedia empire, all the stuff draws from actual settings, it's not impacted by OGL at all.
They're not marketing the movie and TV shows as being specific settings, they're marketing them as D&D. And they'll do everything they can to close the loopholes on peoples' ability to publish anything D&D-related without going through them.

Why else do you think they were so hot on limiting the new licence to printed and PDF materials?

Bolares

Hero
They're not marketing the movie and TV shows as being specific settings, they're marketing them as D&D. And they'll do everything they can to close the loopholes on peoples' ability to publish anything D&D-related without going through them.

Why else do you think they were so hot on limiting the new licence to printed and PDF materials?
Yeah, I doubt we will hear "forgotten realms" anywhere in this movie

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Give it time, pressuring is coming from multiple directions. It's not coming, at least not in any form that isn't neutered, I don't care what they say, I care what they do and I care about the surrounding context, they are losing, they are trying to save face, that is all this is at this point.
Absolutely. The movie doesn't come out for a few months, and presumably (hopefully!) we'll know the actual terms of the new license by then.
If I like them, i'll see the movie. If not, I'll pass. No need for a final decision until all the information is out there.

(And honestly? I really, really, really hope my pessimism proves wrong, because I do want to see this movie!)

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Honestly, I have hopes for this film for one reason.
Oh, and just to be clear, if the reference to 'authorized versions' hasn't been removed from Section 9 of the OGL, and an irrevocability clause hasn't been added by opening weekend, I won't be seeing the movie in the theater.

My choice. No judgment on anyone else, whatever they decide. It's just not as important to me.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I disagree, the Forgotten Realms has never been covered by the OGL, same with Eberron, DL, Ravenloft, Exandria, Spelljammer, Planescape, Theros, or Ravnica, even stuff like Radiant Citadel isn't, so Paramount doesn't care about the OGL, neither does Larian Studios, the new OGL is entirely about One D&D and D&D Beyond for different reasons. This was never about the multimedia empire, all the stuff draws from actual settings, it's not impacted by OGL at all.
Even assuming this is true, if you pay for the media and not the game, you're absolutely sending them the message that their branding is more important than the game the branding comes out of.

Maybe that's true for you. Maybe that's true for most people. Maybe that's why they don't care if the OGL nukes the 3PP industry. They're not worried about it affecting their bottom line.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend

so VTTs are excluded. I do not see them being able to close a ‘loophole’ on fantasy movies here, and I am not sure your ‘D&D related’ isn’t just that

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I don't boycott (nor "buycott") anything ever. On the other hand, I never planned on seeing the D&D movie, but then I haven't gone to the theater in 10 years, so I don't go see any new movie, until it makes it to TV or online, and even then, I just don't watch movies much anymore (and never TV). I haven't looked at nor purchased any comic book since I was 10 years old, and I only purchased horror comics like Vampirella, Uncle Creepy, Cousin Eerie, I never got into Superhero comics (just not my thing). The last novels I read were Game of Thrones and that's been almost a decade ago. I play and publish for Pathfinder/Starfinder, and even though I am currently nearing release for a Spelljammer supplement I'll be selling at the DM's Guild (content has been approved for publication with full permissions). I purchased the 5e Spelljammer 3 book set, and that has been the only D&D 5e books I've ever purchased, and ever likely to purchase. So while I don't plan to support D&D 5e in any way beyond the release of single supplement that I publish, the lack of support isn't based on some misguided animosity due to the OGL fiasco, rather I would normally not do those things that support D&D, beyond possibly playing their game (that's the only RPG support I ever do). I don't use VTT, I only play at a live table.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads