Why I'm not boycotting the movie, video games, comic books or novels over the OGL scandal, just D&DB & hardcovers.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Even assuming this is true, if you pay for the media and not the game, you're absolutely sending them the message that their branding is more important than the game the branding comes out of.

Maybe that's true for you. Maybe that's true for most people. Maybe that's why they don't care of the OGL nukes the 3PP industry. They're not worried about it affecting their bottom line.
I can see a future where Hasbro creates a D&D Cinematic Universe and ends up licensing the brand and product identity to an Onyx Path analogue for future TTRPG development a little too easily.

I'm tempted to say it's not a terrible outcome?

I'm not boycotting the D&D movie because I think Hasbro sucks and is targeting the industry that helped make D&D as big as its gotten. I'm skipping the movie because it looks like trash. I don't want a "har har, it's like they're from an actual gaming table" movie. That was one of the big problems with the movie 20 years ago. I'd much rather they treat it the same way the better novel authors do, and actually write a story that explores the setting, builds upon lore (canon or otherwise) and develops the protagonists as something other than one note joke characters.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you intend to go see the movie but don't want WotC to make as much from it, here's a tip:

I don't know the specific percentages (if someone does, please chime in!), but as a movie stays longer in theaters the studio's cut of the ticket price goes down and the theater's goes up correspondingly.

So the tip: don't go on the first weekend, or even the second weekend. Be patient!

That way, you still get to see the movie on the big screen while still - gently - kicking WotC/Hasbro where it hurts.

Remathilis

Legend
If you intend to go see the movie but don't want WotC to make as much from it, here's a tip:

I don't know the specific percentages (if someone does, please chime in!), but as a movie stays longer in theaters the studio's cut of the ticket price goes down and the theater's goes up correspondingly.

So the tip: don't go on the first weekend, or even the second weekend. Be patient!

That way, you still get to see the movie on the big screen while still - gently - kicking WotC/Hasbro where it hurts.
Good to know. I usually never see movies the first weekend anyway; it's too people-y there.

Remove ads