• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Is Chris Perkins Tweeting Page Snippets Of Mongrelfolk?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Is this something I missed? Chris Perkins tweeted it a coule of weeks ago. No other context.

View attachment 68118

Mongrelmen existed as a playable PC race in 2nd edition's Complete Book of Humanoids.

I hope they come back as a playable race one day. In a book where you can play all sorts of playable races. Hopefully semi-balanced. With racial levels that you can improve abilities of your racial powers.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I could see them forgoing the "Monster Manual 2" name and instead calling it something like the "Monster Compendium". Just like if they ever do decide to do a splatbook it will be the Adventurers Handbook instead of the Players Handbook 2. I actually think this is smart marketing.

Staffan

Legend
It's been awesome not having splat books lined up. A 5E Fiend Folio would be old school and awesome. I would be fine with a MM2 as they had more monsters left over. If there is enough to make a solid second MM, go for it! After a second MM book, they start getting very watered down and silly, I look at Pathfinder as a reminder.
In 3e, I thought the post-3.5 monster books had a roughly equal overall level of quality, but in different areas. You are correct in that the monsters themselves became more and more weird and niche-oriented, but on the other hand the designers became much more skilled at the mechanics of monster building. The monsters in MM5 were really, really well done - just a shame that they were scraping the bottom of the barrel concept-wise.

Monster Manual 2, GenCon 2015 first release, available in stores Sept. 8th.

Man, if it IS a MM2, I doubt those dates are anywhere close to matching up with reality. September 8th is what, a hair more than four months away? They'd have announced it by now if that's the release date they were going to go with.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't really need a PH2. I never want to see another DMG2. I'm generally averse to splatbooks. I think the current pace of released adventures is fine. I'm actually quite happy with the relatively light flow of new printed materials from WotC.

But I need more monsters. Especially the non-standard stuff. Give me some Planescape monsters... Ravenloft monsters... Mystara monsters.

That's all I need. Everything else can be hand-waved, or re-used from previous editions. I don't need a new Ravenloft splatbook to tell me about Barovia, or how to roll fear checks, or to include a tarokka deck. I already have all those things. What I need is monsters.

So, if this is MM2, let it be soon. My wallet is ready.

It's been awesome not having splat books lined up. A 5E Fiend Folio would be old school and awesome. I would be fine with a MM2 as they had more monsters left over. If there is enough to make a solid second MM, go for it! After a second MM book, they start getting very watered down and silly, I look at Pathfinder as a reminder.

Yes, absolutely. There is a big difference between "splat-books/bloat" and monster compendiums. Monster Manuals/Fiend Folios/Big Bookes O' Monstairs are important for updating the Worlds of D&D to 5e.

I hope WotC realizes that there a probably quite a number of customers who aren't interested in a lot of splatbooks but *are* interested in another solid MM.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I could see them forgoing the "Monster Manual 2" name and instead calling it something like the "Monster Compendium". Just like if they ever do decide to do a splatbook it will be the Adventurers Handbook instead of the Players Handbook 2. I actually think this is smart marketing.

I agree, Creature Catalog and Fiend Folio seem to be likely names they would use instead.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned

Agreed.

PHB 2 is a pretty lame name for a book.

Remove ads

Remove ads