Why Is Chris Perkins Tweeting Page Snippets Of Mongrelfolk?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

I didn't see that either. Do mongrelfolk appear in one of the adventures they've released, or is this a possible hint of the Monster Manual 2?

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
Is this something I missed? Chris Perkins tweeted it a coule of weeks ago. No other context.

View attachment 68118

Mongrelmen existed as a playable PC race in 2nd edition's Complete Book of Humanoids.

I hope they come back as a playable race one day. In a book where you can play all sorts of playable races. Hopefully semi-balanced. With racial levels that you can improve abilities of your racial powers.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I could see them forgoing the "Monster Manual 2" name and instead calling it something like the "Monster Compendium". Just like if they ever do decide to do a splatbook it will be the Adventurers Handbook instead of the Players Handbook 2. I actually think this is smart marketing.

Staffan

Legend
It's been awesome not having splat books lined up. A 5E Fiend Folio would be old school and awesome. I would be fine with a MM2 as they had more monsters left over. If there is enough to make a solid second MM, go for it! After a second MM book, they start getting very watered down and silly, I look at Pathfinder as a reminder.
In 3e, I thought the post-3.5 monster books had a roughly equal overall level of quality, but in different areas. You are correct in that the monsters themselves became more and more weird and niche-oriented, but on the other hand the designers became much more skilled at the mechanics of monster building. The monsters in MM5 were really, really well done - just a shame that they were scraping the bottom of the barrel concept-wise.

Monster Manual 2, GenCon 2015 first release, available in stores Sept. 8th.

Man, if it IS a MM2, I doubt those dates are anywhere close to matching up with reality. September 8th is what, a hair more than four months away? They'd have announced it by now if that's the release date they were going to go with.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't really need a PH2. I never want to see another DMG2. I'm generally averse to splatbooks. I think the current pace of released adventures is fine. I'm actually quite happy with the relatively light flow of new printed materials from WotC.

But I need more monsters. Especially the non-standard stuff. Give me some Planescape monsters... Ravenloft monsters... Mystara monsters.

That's all I need. Everything else can be hand-waved, or re-used from previous editions. I don't need a new Ravenloft splatbook to tell me about Barovia, or how to roll fear checks, or to include a tarokka deck. I already have all those things. What I need is monsters.

So, if this is MM2, let it be soon. My wallet is ready.

It's been awesome not having splat books lined up. A 5E Fiend Folio would be old school and awesome. I would be fine with a MM2 as they had more monsters left over. If there is enough to make a solid second MM, go for it! After a second MM book, they start getting very watered down and silly, I look at Pathfinder as a reminder.

Yes, absolutely. There is a big difference between "splat-books/bloat" and monster compendiums. Monster Manuals/Fiend Folios/Big Bookes O' Monstairs are important for updating the Worlds of D&D to 5e.

I hope WotC realizes that there a probably quite a number of customers who aren't interested in a lot of splatbooks but *are* interested in another solid MM.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I could see them forgoing the "Monster Manual 2" name and instead calling it something like the "Monster Compendium". Just like if they ever do decide to do a splatbook it will be the Adventurers Handbook instead of the Players Handbook 2. I actually think this is smart marketing.

I agree, Creature Catalog and Fiend Folio seem to be likely names they would use instead.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned

Agreed.

PHB 2 is a pretty lame name for a book.

Remove ads

Remove ads