Why is EN World so slow?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I have visited many different forums over the years. I participate in several on a daily basis. And yet EN World has got to be the slowest site of its kind that I have ever visited. This isn't a client-side issue. I have high-speed internet. 16 Mbps should be plenty. Aside from that I've used EN World at dozens of other computers (friends, neighbors, libraries, etc.) and always experienced the same lag. This is a consistent problem. It ebbs and flows but its always been bad. If I could change one thing about the site, it would be to find a fix for the lag. If I make 10 posts in one day and have to wait 30-45 seconds in between each post for the screen to load again, that's over 5 minutes of my day wasted. Small potatoes you might say. But if you look at my post count you can see I have spent a lot of time here...waiting.

Is this because EN World is based overseas and I happen to live in the continental US? Is it some server issue? I have supported EN World over the years by purchasing some of their excellent PDF products (like War of the Burning Sky), and I would happily become a subscriber TODAY, if I knew this issue were to be resolved. But I can't see how a site as clearly as successful as EN World is continues to lag day in and day out.

Rhun

First Post
I have the same issues, airwalkrr. Definitely not client side, since i have a Fast E connection here at the office, and no other site runs slow for me.

Interestingly, the site was running much faster yesterday for maybe an hour. And then it went back to the same 30+ second page load times.

Thanee

First Post
Well, the site has a lot of visitors and I do not know what kind of hardware it is running on. That could be a potential problem.

Bye
Thanee

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yup, it's deliberate. We make it slow especially to annoy you! :D

According to Google Analytics, up until this week we've been whizzing along and have been pretty much consistently since our server upgrade. We seem to be experiencing some issues over the last two or three days and we're trying to figure out what's going on - but it's ahrd to tell if that's somehting concerning just us, or the general network issues going on on the web this week (which brought some much bigger sites than us down).

Trust me, we don't look at it and think up ways to make it slower!

airwalkrr

Adventurer
That might explain why the last two days have been abysmally terrible where load times are considered, but this is a chronic problem with EN World. There may be Chaos in the InternetsTM, but it seems to me that this is merely exacerbating a bigger problem. And like I said, I'd be happy to contribute more than buying pdfs. But right now, I'd like to know more about whether there is a solution to the problem first.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Yup, it's deliberate. We make it slow especially to annoy you! :D

According to Google Analytics, up until this week we've been whizzing along and have been pretty much consistently since our server upgrade. We seem to be experiencing some issues over the last two or three days and we're trying to figure out what's going on - but it's ahrd to tell if that's somehting concerning just us, or the general network issues going on on the web this week (which brought some much bigger sites than us down).

Trust me, we don't look at it and think up ways to make it slower!
Sorry, Morrus, I didn't mean to imply that it was ineptitude on your part. I appreciate you are in a difficult position. It just seems that this is not an isolated incident. I've quit EN World briefly over it twice before, only coming back after acute problems seemed to have been addressed, if only partially. I love this site. I would like to love it more, but lag is annoying.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have an idea. it is one of untrained skill, but an idea none theless. i noticed many blogs here are of spammers just poluting the waters with links. would this be a source of bandwidth hogging to cause this lag?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Hey guys. I haven't been around for a while, but I'd just like to fourth (or fifth?) the performance issue. It is chronic, has been around for a while, and very intermittent.

For example, I'm attempting to post right now, and it has been at it for a few minutes, but in another window I have managed to perform a few searches and post here.

Perhaps the way connections are handled by the hosting machine or the web server are at fault, it doesn't look like bandwidth issues.

My 2 coppers. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads