Why is EN World so slow?

Rhun

First Post
I have an idea. it is one of untrained skill, but an idea none theless. i noticed many blogs here are of spammers just poluting the waters with links. would this be a source of bandwidth hogging to cause this lag?

I seriously doubt a few (or even many) blogs and spammers are bogging the site down.

With that said, the site seems relatively speedy today.

nedjer

Adventurer
There could be several dozen reasons why an sql database glued to complex forum software, plugins and a few millions records is a touch tardy at times.

It's theoretically possible that the achievements icons could have caused a brief slowdown as they propagated across countless messages. Might be exacerbated by the caching software.

Something vaguely similar can happen with Wordpress related post plugins; which when quickly or poorly written can suck up memory and cpu cycles. Disabling the plugin and checking the difference in the memory and cpu stats usually does it. Must of binned dozens of otherwise cool plugins for this.

It's also likely to be at least in part between the site and the client when the slowdown's regionalised, i.e. I should have been getting slow access in Scotland too if it was specific to Morrus' server.

IT arrives with us all superstyled, but underneath it's mainly derelict fishing boats navigating treacherous reefs in huge waves. Much depends on the captain's skill.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
If there is some option to view EN World forums in "simple mode" without all the achievements, avatars, signatures, etc. and if this in some way sped up EN World, I'd be all for it. Maybe I will try to muck with the settings and see if something like this exists.

nedjer

Adventurer
If there is some option to view EN World forums in "simple mode" without all the achievements, avatars, signatures, etc. and if this in some way sped up EN World, I'd be all for it. Maybe I will try to muck with the settings and see if something like this exists.

switch off load images in your browser settings and everything will go double quicktime :)

Yeah, if the speed is at all related to fancy schmancy stuff, I'd love an option to not see those. Or just have them be on the person's profile, but not loaded with every post. So if I want to see what achievements Piratecat has, I need to go to his profile.

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
I'd love that - just see Poster's name and post, no sigs, trophies, rep, blog, wallaby, none of that stuff.

Ry

Explorer
Seriously? A quip about modern design coming from EN World, home of orange-on-black, different styles for each type of button/reward/trophy/banner/tag and a mottled repeating pattern background?

Might as well have written it in flashing text.

Haltherrion

First Post
I've noticed it for years and it is not intermittent. It's during the day. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm from North America and the trans-oceanic links are pretty bogged down during the day. While I do find it annoying by 7PM Pacific Coast, it's quite accessible. If I try accessing it during the day, it's hopeless. My carrier might be worse than others but I've just learned to live with it. Don't think it's a server issue.

Dracorat

First Post
Yeah, if the speed is at all related to fancy schmancy stuff, I'd love an option to not see those. Or just have them be on the person's profile, but not loaded with every post. So if I want to see what achievements Piratecat has, I need to go to his profile.

It's not. Images are disabled on one of the computers I use and it makes no difference in the speed.

Remove ads