D&D Movie/TV Why is the media overstating how controversial the Druid's Owlbear shape is?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The Independent is a garbage website. The UK media scene is extremely weird, but the good news is that you only have to pay attention to maybe one or two outlets there as a result. The rest are worse than American supermarket tabloids (and are owned by the same people in many cases).
BBC, NBC, Today, CNN, Yahoo and more ran it, too. And this sort of deception with regard to headlines is a fairly common occurrence.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
BBC, NBC, Today, CNN, Yahoo and more ran it, too. And this sort of deception with regard to headlines is a fairly common occurrence.
I don't want to get drawn down the rabbit hole of one particular crime story I'm not terribly familiar with, but are they just quoting what authorities said without properly attributing it as such, and just incorrectly stating it as fact?

The Today Show exists to be as boring as possible. Salacious clickbait isn't their thing. If they're writing something in a way you object to, I suspect the problem lies upstream, like an AP article that misstated something, or the American media's kneejerk deference to the official version of events, even though what the police say initially and what they say after more investigation could well be 180 degrees apart.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't want to get drawn down the rabbit hole of one particular crime story I'm not terribly familiar with, but are they just quoting what authorities said without properly attributing it as such, and just incorrectly stating it as fact?
No. The headline says one thing and then the written article says something completely different. This isn't a case of the media jumping the gun and initially getting facts wrong. They had the facts when they wrote the deceptive headline.

The big reason I really hate this sort of thing is that it happens often enough to give ammunition to the fake news crowd. They can point and say, "Look at these things over here." as their proof that clearly true articles and science are wrong.

Anyway, you're right that we shouldn't get drawn down this hole as it's pretty off topic at this point. I'd be more than happy to continue the discussion via PM or letting it drop. Up to you! :)

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
The whole owlbear wildshape thing is weird on so many levels, starting with why aren't owlbears beasts to begin with? That feels like the original sin here. They don't breathe fire. They don't have some sort of specialized sonic attack. They're essentially normal animals that evolved differently in a fantasy universe or A Wizard Did It.

I'm with the movie folks on this one. It's stupid for a druid not to be able to shapeshift into an owlbear (doing so is a big part of druidic identity in World of Warcraft, for instance, which millions of more people are familiar with than D&D druid wildshaping) and it should be changed in 1D&D, either by changing the owlbear's type, loosening up the wildshaping rules, or both.
The wildshape rules are weird to apply in any case. A druid can wildshape into any beast that they've seen, so what happens if a druid sees an owlbear for the first time, rolls poorly on their Nature check and doesn't realise it's an unnatural monstrosity? If they try to turn into one, does their innate wildshape-power somehow know that they're trying to become something that isn't a beast?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The wildshape rules are weird to apply in any case. A druid can wildshape into any beast that they've seen, so what happens if a druid sees an owlbear for the first time, rolls poorly on their Nature check and doesn't realise it's an unnatural monstrosity? If they try to turn into one, does their innate wildshape-power somehow know that they're trying to become something that isn't a beast?
I'm going to start by saying that I agree that druids should at some point be able to turn into an owlbear. Whether that's at higher levels of the base class or through a subclass like Circle of the Moon, doesn't matter to me. That said, if the ability is one granted through nature or a nature god, then yes the ability could just fail to function if an errant druid tries to turn into one.

Reynard

Legend
Hey, if you get something written by a person consider yourself lucky. Z-grade clickbait is what AI chatbots were born to write.

ChatGPT​

Write a clickbait article about druid shape change controversy

"Druid Community in Uproar Over Controversial Shape Change Practice: Is it Ethical or Dangerous?"
The druid community is divided as a heated debate has erupted over the controversial practice of shape changing. While some argue that the ability to transform into animals is a sacred gift, others say it crosses ethical boundaries and can lead to disastrous consequences.
On one hand, those in favor of shape changing argue that it allows druids to better understand and connect with nature, deepen their spiritual practices, and even gain valuable skills and abilities. They say it has been a cherished tradition for centuries and is essential to their way of life.
On the other hand, critics argue that shape changing can have harmful effects on both the druid and the animal they are transforming into. They say it can lead to psychological and physical harm, as well as disrupt ecosystems and threaten endangered species.
The controversy has sparked intense discussion and sparked calls for greater regulation and oversight of the practice. Some are even calling for a ban on shape changing altogether.
As the debate continues to rage, the druid community finds itself at a crossroads, grappling with the question of whether this ancient tradition should be upheld or left in the past.
So what do you think? Is shape changing a sacred gift or a dangerous practice? We want to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The whole owlbear wildshape thing is weird on so many levels, starting with why aren't owlbears beasts to begin with? That feels like the original sin here. They don't breathe fire. They don't have some sort of specialized sonic attack. They're essentially normal animals that evolved differently in a fantasy universe or A Wizard Did It.
Traditionally, chimeric creatures have been the monstrosity creature type in D&D.

Clint_L

Hero
Love it, Reynard! I tweaked your prompt a bit, though:

Controversy Rocks D&D Community as New Movie Trailer Shocks Fans with Unimaginable Transformation! Find out why players are freaking out over this unbelievable scene that goes against the game's strict rules!

Dungeons & Dragons fans were left in disbelief after watching the new trailer for the upcoming D&D movie, which features a character breaking the game's cardinal rule by wildshaping into an owl bear. This transformation, which is not allowed in the official game rules, has sparked a heated debate among the community, with some calling it a creative liberty and others labeling it as a disrespectful deviation from the beloved tabletop game.

The fans are divided, with some defending the movie's artistic freedom and others demanding a more accurate representation of the game. The trailer has quickly become the center of attention on social media, with players and fans passionately sharing their thoughts and opinions on this controversial scene.

But what does this mean for the future of D&D? Will this movie bring in new players and fans or will it alienate the established community? Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure – the D&D community is buzzing with excitement and anger over this shocking transformation, and the debate is far from over.

"This is an utter betrayal of the sacred text of Dungeons & Dragons!" declares legendary player and dungeon master, Marcus Steelheart. "The rules of the game have been etched in stone for generations, and for the filmmakers to so brazenly flaunt them is a slap in the face to every true fan of the game. I will not stand for it!"

Marcus's powerful statement highlights the intensity of the backlash the movie has received from passionate players. With opinions divided and tensions running high, it's clear that the controversy surrounding the wildshaping scene is far from over, and continues to spark heated discussions within the community.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases