D&D 5E Why is WoTc still pushing AP's when the majority of gamers want something else?

jasper

Rotten DM
Really, there are only 2 ways anyone from WotC is going to listen to any "problems".

1. A high enough % of gamers make the same feedback via surveys so it stands out statistically (also related: enough gamers don't buy the product which sends the same unified message)
2. You personally know Jeremy or Mike and make a compelling argument face to face to at least get the gears moving in their minds about your argument.

Anything else gets lost in the wind. That's life.
3. Crazy Gamers buy "HAS" stock price at 80.63. A lot. Really Really lot. About 10% of the outstanding shares. Get together and vote Sacrosanct as their rep in annual share holder meeting. Put MR. Sac in charge of the WOTC line. Sit back and enjoy the profits.

Hussar

Legend
This is in addition to about 2 dozen AL adventures, .

Not disagreeing with you. Just a point of clarification. Looking at DM's Guild and clicking on Adventurers League, reveals 136 products. Now, granted, not all of those are modules, there's a bunch of freebies and map packs in there too (like those aren't useful) but, there aren't 2 dozen AL adventures, there are about

ONE HUNDRED OFFICIAL MODULES

Sorry about the shouting here, and again, I'm in no way picking on you AT ALL. Not even a little bit. But, it's bloody frustrating to hear time and time again that there aren't any short modules for 5e, when you've got access to over a hundred of them at about 3 bucks a pop.

pemerton

Legend
Not disagreeing with you. Just a point of clarification. Looking at DM's Guild and clicking on Adventurers League, reveals 136 products. Now, granted, not all of those are modules, there's a bunch of freebies and map packs in there too (like those aren't useful) but, there aren't 2 dozen AL adventures, there are about

Sorry about the shouting here, and again, I'm in no way picking on you AT ALL. Not even a little bit. But, it's bloody frustrating to hear time and time again that there aren't any short modules for 5e, when you've got access to over a hundred of them at about 3 bucks a pop.
Your post prompted me to go to DM's Guild. I got the same 136 AL items. When I then clicked on "Adventures", I only got 92 items. Not quite 100 yet. (But clearly more than two dozen!)

EDIT: Some adventures seem to be labelled as "Core Rules" - so you were right after all, there are more than 100 adventures.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer

I was referring to annual releases. That is, they release 2 APs each year, and about a dozen adventures for each of those APs. Now that we've had 6 APs the total it quite generous.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5D7957F55F981A9D67F25D795&fsscr=0&FORM=VDMCNL

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh, and if I want to play D&D? I don't have to buy it from WoTC. I just have to round up some friends & walk over to my bookshelf.

To your second point - sure you can just pick up what you have. But if all you wanted to do is play older D&D releases, then it wouldn't make any difference what WotC releases or not.

For your first point, I have no idea what you're referring to when you say I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The one person taking their money doesn't make a difference?
Or that there aren't any direct competitors?

If you don't think I know what I'm talking about, perhaps you could elaborate. I'm curious.

CapnZapp

Legend
Personally, I find the AL modules aren't my thing.

I've browsed many of them but I can't say I've found more than perhaps two or three worth even that much attention. Perfunctory is a word that comes to mind.

Compared to the era of "full" releases (such as Sunless Citadel or whatever) pickings are meagre indeed, if you're on the market for something "smaller" than the megaadventures, yet official, and high quality.

I would definitely be interested in future module that actually combines six or so stand-alone adventures, all still presented in full color Schey-quality maps NPC portraits and the works. :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Personally, I find the AL modules aren't my thing.

I've browsed many of them but I can't say I've found more than perhaps two or three worth even that much attention. Perfunctory is a word that comes to mind.

Compared to the era of "full" releases (such as Sunless Citadel or whatever) pickings are meagre indeed, if you're on the market for something "smaller" than the megaadventures, yet official, and high quality.

I would definitely be interested in future module that actually combines six or so stand-alone adventures, all still presented in full color Schey-quality maps NPC portraits and the works. :)

Pretty straightforward reasons they never will, though: because they essentially already are! Sky Kings Thunder could have been a book of minimodules, and had the exact same content more or less: bit for those who want a connection, they built it in. Every "AP" they have put out so far is a collection of minimidules, with an overarching plot that can be easily tossed aside before or during play as needed. Notice also, they are themed, so ToD has a bunch of dragon-y modules, PotA is a bunch of Elemental cult themes modules, OotA is a bunch of Underdark modules, etc. (Curse of Strahd, less so, but still ample stuff to loot and repurpose ina horror theme...).

Remove ads