D&D 5E Why is WoTc still pushing AP's when the majority of gamers want something else?

CapnZapp

Legend
That is literally what Princes of the Apocalypse and Storm Kings Thunder are.
Well, not really... I'm envisioning a book collecting six adventures each with its own name, it's own start and finish.

No given order to run them in. All for about the same rough level range.

Just picking a chapter of PotA to run independent of the others isn't really a thing. No obvious support for it. Not even a good name in the sense "have you run Sunless Citadel?".

There's little name recognition in "chapter 6 of PotA"

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm not saying this because I believe that's something well actually get.

I'm saying this as an example of what I can perceive a certain segment of the customer base is lacking when they browse the 5e shelf...

Satyrn

First Post
I'm not saying this because I believe that's something well actually get.

I'm saying this as an example of what I can perceive a certain segment of the customer base is lacking when they browse the 5e shelf...

If they've got a good game store stocking more than just WotC products, then they could see Quests of Doom by Frog God Games. It is exactly what you describe.

Well, not really... I'm envisioning a book collecting six adventures each with its own name, it's own start and finish.

Just picking a chapter of PotA to run independent of the others isn't really a thing. No obvious support for it. Not even a good name in the sense "have you run Sunless Citadel?".

What's the benefit of that?
Rather than a series of small adventures that are all linked but can be run separately you have a bunch of separate adventures that have to be run separately? That just seems to take away the option of running as a campaign.
And if they're all the same level range, once you're run one, what do you run next?
Sure "chapter 6 of PotA" lacks name recognition but "the stone cultist monastery" or "feathergale spire" do. There's a lot of memorable mini adventures in ToD, and PotA, and SKT. Plus having six unrelated adventures in a single books just means seven names have to be remembered. They still might be identified as "the third adventure in <Book X>" or "the adventure in <book X> with the pyramid."

This is ignoring that Storm King's Thunder is pretty much exactly that. There are the six chapters in the middle that each feature a single giant lair and all have their own name. Each one is it's own little mini adventure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No, I mean one book with half a dozen tier II adventures.

They are welcome to share a common theme, but they should be standalone enough to not have any dependencies or expectations of order.

Sky Kings Thunder, levels 5-10, has at least 6 completely separate Giant adventures, with an easily ignorable plot.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Sure it's a thing, the books even encourage that: they have provides a veneer of plot, the same way LEGO sets have instructions, but you can do literally anything with the parts.

darjr

I crit!
I agree that the parts can be pulled apart and used individually, which is awesome, I do like the plots in most of them and consider them more in-depth than a veneer.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree that the parts can be pulled apart and used individually, which is awesome, I do like the plots in most of them and consider them more in-depth than a veneer.

Not saying they are bad, but it's pretty painless to separate the Stone Giant dungeon from the whole story of the Orduning without changing much; same with the Cloud Giant castle from HotDQ, or any other section from an of the APs. They have an overarching plot, but it is not that deeply embedded and can be modified as needed; hence, I say veneer as in light covering

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases