D&D 5E Why Lichdom?

Mercurius

Legend
For a more serious idea, I don't know what the game mechanics would be but one thought that comes to mind is that it could be both - even have to be. Most of the time, the lich is off in a surrogate form, traveling the world(s), doing their thing. But maybe they need to return to their original body for a certain amount of time, otherwise they start losing their self-identity. So they keep their lich-form relatively safely in their lair, but go off in some other form.

Because liches are cool.

Excellent point. I suppose most of this conversation is couched in details support by the Player's Handbook. But some campaigns may not support the idea of clones and only have liches because Undeath is how you defeat mortality in that game and the DM thinks liches are cool (which they most certainly are!).

One more thing I'll throw in on the Cloning side to those who mention cost. Cloning via Wish is a great, low-cost way to seed the land with your genetically-identical progeny!

Cyrinishad

Explorer
Why would a powerful mage choose lichdom over having a living, breathing, younger clone to transfer into upon death?

I seem to recall some old Lore that indicated Lichdom was the result of a failed attempt to achieve divinity... So, in that context it is more of an accidental curse, rather than a conscious choice...

I also have difficulty buying into the idea that a Wizard would opt into Lichdom rather than pursue other, less skeletal scenarios...

Zardnaar

Legend
Cloning is not a major fanatasy trope I suppose and outside of D&D literature its rare.

2E may have had a youthful clone sell IDK, personally I would not allow it as its to cheap and would need a big draw back (lose a level or more). Clones also a level 8 spell a youthful clone spell might be beyond the power for a level 9 spell (and that spell does not exist for reason).

Manshoons stasis clone spell did not restore youth, you would have to use potions of longevity to de age yourself then clone yourself.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Question!

Is it possible to do both? Make a few clones, keep them on ice and then become a Lich?

In theory yes but if you got destroyed your soul would most likely go to the phylactery rather than the clone.

The way the new clone spells work the clone is you, as it transfers your soul/essence etc into the body when you get killed.

jgsugden

Legend
Why bother with the clones? Liches are harder to kill, and if you want the 'mortal delights' that come with a fleshy form, you can use Magic Jar. Becoming a lich means you feel less bad about doing that kind of thing.

neogod22

Explorer
I seem to recall some old Lore that indicated Lichdom was the result of a failed attempt to achieve divinity... So, in that context it is more of an accidental curse, rather than a conscious choice...

I also have difficulty buying into the idea that a Wizard would opt into Lichdom rather than pursue other, less skeletal scenarios...
That may have been the case of the 1st one, or in the case of the baelorn, they were granted their powers by the Elven gods. Let's look at who become Liches and why. It's not an easy ritual to learn, or there would probably be many more. Undeath stinks of necromacy and the majority of Liches were necromancers in life. Becoming a lunch is not an accidental decision, but a very conscious one. Why choose lich? 1st, they are one of the most powerful forms of undead, which means all other undead will recognize them as such. 2nd they get undead powers including being immune to normal weapons. 3rd they can command armies of undead to the likes they never have before. Even uncontrolled one will usually defer to a lich's commands. 4th they have no real vulnerabilities. Unlike many forms of undead, they don't take damage or is weakened by sunlight, they don't lose any of their knowledge or magical abilities, and they have all the time in the world for anything they plan. Also, once they put enough magical protections on their phylactory, it can become indestructible.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads