D&D 5E Why Lichdom?

Iry

Hero
No more waking up exhausted because you only slept 3 hours last night.
No more headaches, or eye strain, or dealing with low blood sugar.
No more having to watch your diet and exercise regularly.
No more dealing with your period every month.
No more suffering from arthritis or being sick.
No more dealing with constant allergies.

Yeah. Being a Lich seems pretty nice.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
All good ideas. Liches don't get away scot-free, though, as they do need to sacrifice souls to their phylactry from time to time.
This can easily dealt with without having the lich get his hands dirty. He just creates soul stealing magic items and put them out into the world. Warriors don't have to know their sword of sharpness is actually feeding a lich they don't know about. Lol

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

G

Guest 6801328

Because a Clone isn't actually you, it's just exactly like you. You still die.

neogod22

Explorer
Previous Editions - Wish ages you 5 years. A clone can cast wish 5 times, a lich can cast infinity times.

5e - My house rule is that a lich doesn't suffer "stress" from casting wish. So they can do all the old school wish stuff without having a 33% chance of never casting it again. Fun fact: You cant possibly run the last 2 "Grand Conjunction" Ravenloft modules in 5e without this rule.
Limitations on the Wish spell is for player characters. NPCs will either have their own special rules, or the DM can create them,as they see fit.

No more waking up exhausted because you only slept 3 hours last night.
No more headaches, or eye strain, or dealing with low blood sugar.
No more having to watch your diet and exercise regularly.
No more dealing with your period every month.
No more suffering from arthritis or being sick.
No more dealing with constant allergies.

Yeah. Being a Lich seems pretty nice.

Lichdom is the only way to live in modern world B-)

neogod22

Explorer
I think a lich needs to only be a super badass boss villain, not some generic villain like how the MM statted them out (like every other monster). If you are going to use one in your campaign, please buy Van Ricten's guide and read it. It will really change your perspective (maybe), and get the idea juices flowing on how to scare the F*** out of your players when fighting them. I think I'm going to purchase this book again, because I really enjoyed it in the 90s.

Because a Clone isn't actually you, it's just exactly like you. You still die.

Wrong. If that's the case then you are not actually you after being Resurrected because the you in question is your soul. The Clone spell tranfers that you (your soul) to a new body (again, very definitely you because it's genetically identical to your body) upon death. So same difference.

G

Guest 6801328

Asperger's for the win?

If that's the case then you are not actually you after being Resurrected because the you in question is your soul. The Clone spell tranfers that you (your soul) to a new body (again, very definitely you because it's genetically identical to your body) upon death. So same difference.

Oh, you mean you disagree. You have a different opinion. Sure, that's valid.

I can see that after using Clone you would think you are you. But when you're preparing it, doesn't it feel a little bit like you're creating something/someone that is just like you, but different? Sure, your "soul" is you, but so are the atoms in your body. And those atoms are definitely not yours.

I'm thinking of an old short story from Omni magazine, probably from the early 80's. (Wish I knew the title or the issue because they're all online for free now.) In it a guy goes into the boutique for his regular "youthful regeneration" process. Instead of becoming young, he sees a young version of himself leave the store, while he is consigned to labor as a slave...with a bunch of old, worn-out copies of himself, all of whom give him hateful stares when he shows up. It's creepy.

batfishmobile

First Post
Asperger's for the win?

Oh, you mean you disagree. You have a different opinion. Sure, that's valid.

I can see that after using Clone you would think you are you. But when you're preparing it, doesn't it feel a little bit like you're creating something/someone that is just like you, but different? Sure, your "soul" is you, but so are the atoms in your body. And those atoms are definitely not yours.

I'm thinking of an old short story from Omni magazine, probably from the early 80's. (Wish I knew the title or the issue because they're all online for free now.) In it a guy goes into the boutique for his regular "youthful regeneration" process. Instead of becoming young, he sees a young version of himself leave the store, while he is consigned to labor as a slave...with a bunch of old, worn-out copies of himself, all of whom give him hateful stares when he shows up. It's creepy.
It would depend on the world you are in, because in an idealistic system, a being is the soul inhabiting the body. Since essence precedes existence.

But if the world is existentialist, existence precedes essence. Which would be very fitting, since that would mean that part of the necromancer died, when he died, and his essence moved to the cloned body.

It's up to the DM though.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This can easily dealt with without having the lich get his hands dirty. He just creates soul stealing magic items and put them out into the world. Warriors don't have to know their sword of sharpness is actually feeding a lich they don't know about. Lol

I love this idea. Now I just need to figure out which of my PCs that has a magic sword has been feeding souls to a lich since he/she picked it up...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases