D&D (2024) Why no new packs since late September?

Yeah. We have different definitions. I don't agree that LevelUp is compatible. Having looked at the playtest documents and some stuff since, I wouldn't allow playtest classes to play along side 5e classes. The LevelUp versions are better. To use an earlier term, they don't play well together. The differences are greater than those of 5.5e vs. 5e.

I would and do use monsters from my monstrous menagerie book in my 5e game, though. They're simply updated, better versions of monsters, similar to ones that are homebrewed by DMs.

Someday I hope to convince my group to make the switch to LevelUp, but until then monsters will remain the only thing that makes it into the game.
Them being balanced or better than each other has nothing to do with compatibility.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Them being balanced or better than each other has nothing to do with compatibility.
If the game doesn't work right when they are together(major balance issue), then it's not compatible. Compatible means I can use it without having to change anything, so broken due to balance = not compatible. That only applies to imbalance that breaks things, not lesser amounts of imbalance.

mellored

Legend
That Strawman fails on its face. I'm not claiming different = powerful.
Then why is the ranger who has persuasion not allowed in the same campaign as a ranger who has survival?
Seeing as they are charging my party with swords and axes drawn, I really don't care if one is closer to death than the others.
So you want to deal more damage then? Best take the old ranger.
So now it's 12 uses(assuming a 4 PC group)?
Never claimed it was 12 uses.
Just that you can have a better nova round with old bard.
The 5.5 ability is not combat only.
Neither is the 5.0.
How? The wizard is at long range and has shield.
Then he's out of range of the bard.
Also, if he has shield, then he can block the trap.
We're outside so that the 2014 ranger can get some limited use from his abilities. ;)
Then the range spots the trap, since it's in his favorite terrain. 😜
-1 versatility + a bazillion versatility = a lot more versatility.
Can you give it to child and have them lie to pursuers while you run off in a different direction?
PS Don't think I haven't noticed that you completely ignored the 5.5 bard's healing.
They have to make up for all the loss of versatility and uses somehow.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then why is the ranger who has persuasion not allowed in the same campaign as a ranger who has survival?
I don't know. That's not something I ever said.
So you want to deal more damage then? Best take the old ranger.
Nah. Why gimp myself just to do slightly better in a fight against some orcs?
Neither is the 5.0.
Correct. I didn't claim otherwise. You said combat only for the 5.5 ability so I corrected you.
Then he's out of range of the bard.
And? This isn't really a response to that part of the discussion. Maybe you were confusing it with the other part where the wizard is hit by the trap. There weren't any archers there.
Also, if he has shield, then he can block the trap.
Is there some secret to shield that I don't know about that stops every kind of deadly trap?
Then the range spots the trap, since it's in his favorite terrain. 😜
LOL Okay. That was a good one. :p
Can you give it to child and have them lie to pursuers while you run off in a different direction?
No need. I'll give it to the ranger if he fails to hide our tracks, so that the pursuers can't catch us.
They have to make up for all the loss of versatility and uses somehow.
Increase =/= loss no matter how many times you repeat it.

mellored

Legend
Correct. I didn't claim otherwise. You said combat only for the 5.5 ability so I corrected you.
That's not something I ever said.
No need. I'll give it to the ranger if he fails to hide our tracks, so that the pursuers can't catch us.
I'll give it to both the ranger and the kid.

Because old bard has more to give and can buff 2 places at once. It's more versatile like that.

If the game doesn't work right when they are together(major balance issue), then it's not compatible. Compatible means I can use it without having to change anything, so broken due to balance = not compatible. That only applies to imbalance that breaks things, not lesser amounts of imbalance.
No it doesn't

able to exist together without conflict.
That does not mean one option can't be better, or that little modifications can't happen. It's also been shown in the first playtest pdf for example, that characters get an extra feat no matter what.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's not something I ever said.
This is what you said.

"You don't see how handing out 4 buffs to each party member before kicking down the door to the big bads is better than using 2 reactions in combat?"

By deliberately only using combat, you are saying it's only used in combat. If you weren't saying that, you would have either said in or out of combat, or just left it at 2 reactions.

Perhaps you didn't mean to say it that way, but you did say it that way.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Best to think of character creation to not be compatible. (Monsters and campaigns are).
I think character creation is pretty compatible, once you factor in stuff like having to choose a source of ASIs at level 1, and probably not use feats or spells that have been replaced.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases