D&D 5E Why Not? A Variant Captain Fighter

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One basic idea I had was this:

Leader Fighting Style: When you use your second wind all allies within 60 ft of you gain Temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier. For as long as these allies retain hps you have given them they do 1d6 extra damage on all melee and range attacks.

Fairly simple and indirectly buffs the Battlemasters rally ability as well (And the inspiring leader feat too).
That’s really interesting!

I did a subclass that could be mined for various alternative class features instead:

I will check that out! Thank you!

With the inspiring leader feat yes. WIth just using it with second wind, it's more of a chance to set up a nova round later in the fight - unless you waste your second wind (which is perhaps a bit of a problem as it may actually be tactically the best option).

And now that I think about it, I'm realising how the inability to delay actions in 5E really screws with the whole concept of a Warlord.
legendary actions. I keep sayin. Replace extra attack with a renamed Legendary Actions. Even give it like 3 things it can do that are roughly equal to making a single attack, and note explicitly that any action taken with it counts as having made an attack as part of the attack action. You can use it on your turn, or after another creature’s turn.

But, I brought my +3 "Pick, Heavy or Light" of Idea-Bane! ;) Also, it's Axiomatic & Unholy, since you're CG & all. Hurts just carrying the darn thing...*

But, seriously, ideas just come to me:

Stirring Strike: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, and expend one superiority die to inspire one of your companions to shake off an afliction. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature gains a bonus to it's next saving throw equal to the result of the superiority die.

Inspiring Words: On your turn, you can use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to inspire one of your companion to re-join the fray. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can hear you. That creature re-gains hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Charisma modifier and can spend an available HD to recover additional hps. The same ally cannot benefit from inspiring words again until they have completed a rest.

* see, 3e has its fun bits.

I like those! Duly noted!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Scanning for Openings: When you make an attack action you may forgo one attack from it to enable your next actual attack to use a maneuver as though you spent a superiority die.

Boom

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
we Have a good buff for second wind, what about other features? Indomitable is kinda weak, and could stand to be boosted. Maybe an enhancement that gives allies a saving throw bonus whenever you use it?

Remove ads