• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why only two at will powers?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
This is the reason for the Martial Powers book, and why it will obviously be followed by more.

Also, you can add

Bull Rush
Standard, At-Will
Strength vs Fortitude
Push the target one square, you may move into the vacated square.

To the maneuvers available to everyone.

I realized that it's not really so much that you're picking your at-wills at first level. You're picking the ones you can't do.

Also, I find it interesting that at-wills (at least early on) are used so often, that say, another halfling rogue that has the two at-wills that you DON'T have, will feel very different from your character.

Fitz

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
hcm said:
But I still think it's wierd -- there are many reports already of combat feeling repetitive at low levels. It seems such a simple task to add one or double the number of at wills per character. I'm just curious why they choose to stay at only 2.

At low levels, with a scant few daily/encounter powers that is likely to be the case regardless of whether your At Will list is 2 or 20.

If the tactical situation is static, a large list will effectively devolve into one optimal At Will power. If the tactical situation is dynamic, then a short list with real differences in tactical flavor is sufficient.

2 does seem a little shorter than necessary IMHO. But making that number 3 or 5 does not automatically solve anything. At Will powers will always be modest in umph; it is the Daily/Encounter powers that will generate excitement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads