• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why Shouldn't I Ban "Come and Get It"?

Marnak

First Post
The Level 7 Fighter Encounter Power "Come and Get It" is one of several powers that strikes me as very video game and not very logical. Why should all enemies in the close burst 3 move adjacent to the tough looking weapon wielding fighter (even if they don't know that this will subject themeselves to an attack)? It is supposed to be a martial power (not a magical mental compulsion with no save) yet it can compel the controller or the lurker to leave his concealment and move adjacent to the damage dealing fighter. This seems utterly illogical. What would players running wizards and rogues say if an NPC had this power and forced them to move from their well protected spots right next to the BBEG without any roll on their part?

I can appreciate the tactical use of this power, and I am willing to admit it could be a lot of fun (like video games are fun). But one of the reasons I like Table Top RPGs is the ability of the monsters to respond with some creativity and logic and not according to some programming code.

Of course, I know that the whole world of DND is not "realistic" and that this is just one more thing about which I should learn to suspend my disbelief. However, this power (and a few others) feel different to me. Does this encounter exploit bother anyone else or just me?

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
Only as much as (for example) the rogue's blinding barrage being a blast effect (and not multiple ranged attacks), doesn't actually require ammo.

Danceofmasks said:
Only as much as (for example) the rogue's blinding barrage being a blast effect (and not multiple ranged attacks), doesn't actually require ammo.
You actually do need one piece of ammunition or light thrown weapon for each enemy as per page 270.

As for "come and get it" its a goad. You're telling me it doesnt make sense for someone who is concentrating on defending other PCs in his party to goad the people arround him into attacking him and not other PCs?

arghost

First Post
Danceofmasks said:
But the rogue's blinding barrage does actually require attack rolls against all targets and require ammo for all targets. Only the load-time is ignored. Blast only describes how to identify valid targets.

"Come get It" could be a taunt? Or a deliberate opening. Or anything. Play it as the situation warrants.

Danceofmasks

First Post
ForbidenMaster said:
You actually do need one piece of ammunition or light thrown weapon for each enemy as per page 270.

Umm, no.
Close Blast 3
They are not ranged attacks.
They do not provoke OAs, and you make a single damage roll for every target you hit.

hong

WotC's bitch
The monsters are so pissed off at the fighter trying to mind control them, that they all move over to beat him up.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads